New 400i Coming | Page 7 | FerrariChat

New 400i Coming

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Ferraridoc, Jul 2, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Do you guys use lead-free solder? I couldn't unsolder one of the horrendoplasties in the wiring - admittedly, I have a soldering iron, and not one of those bloody great baseball bat sized things that you're used to.

Geordie warned me off working for you.

I just need to find an ign feed and bolt in the earth and I'm done. I was going to do it tonight (Wallabies getting done over again, so not worth watching), but Claudia has a friend on a sleepover and the boys keep harshing their buzz - it's when you most want to sneak away to the mancave that you really shouldn't.

BTW, the horn never worked, so, after taking the grill out, it was one of those "while you're in there" moments. I bridged the horn at the relay and got a sound - imagine a gorilla with bronchiectasis, but not anything like an air horn. So I stripped and rebuilt the compressor (the oil cap was open and there was corrosion inside), and got it working, probably better than it had in 20 years. Of course, the horn push still didn't work, and when I pulled it out, the horns went off by themselves - some sort of short inside the column. I wiggled the wire, which brought blessed silence, but then they were never to work again, so now the steering wheel has to come off. Luckily Moretti has a home made socket for the lock nut, which he has dropped off. JM has also taken the name "Satan" for his car, so I'm calling mine "Beelzebub".

2. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Excellent work mate! You seem pretty handy at this. Not what Moretti told me, he told me he had to come over and show you how to put air in the tyres. :p

When you're done wasting time your time fixing people, start fixing Ferraris ol son. You have a knack for it. ;)

3. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    What, Mr 11psi?

4. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Lol. ;)

5. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Moretti's lock ring tool came in handy. The horn wire had been replaced by one that was ludicrously too thick, and also a crap solder job onto the old fitting. So one of Beelzebub's demons (ie previous mechanics) hadn't attached the wheel too tightly and it was easy to remove. Cleaned up the little brass rivet in the horn/self cancelling ring, and soldered a much thinner wire on. Works like a charm now.

6. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Nice fix mate. :)

7. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Flies up like a medieval catapult. Is that normal, or is there meant to be some sort of damping mechanism?

8. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    So does mine. Pretty scary how close it gets to that back glass isn't it?

9. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Theres an adjustment on each hinge to change that. Mine is set on the highest setting which I've been meaning to change. If you look at the end of the torsion rods under the hinges you'll see what I mean and you can lower the tension.

10. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #160 dstacy, Sep 1, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
    No kidding? Well screw me! I've owned two of these cars for a total of over 10 years and I didn't know that. I'm heading to the garage.

11. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Thanks! Another tinkering job!

12. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    In the boot. I would imagine there's a vent pipe between the tanks. Would this be the most likely source? Is it easy to get to?

Thanks

13. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The hoses in the trunk are notorious for vapor leaking. There are a bunch of them.

14. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    I had the same prob,phone Marc 0417776216.....

15. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Cheers

Yeah, swapping the 400 for the QV today (at Gezim's - Marc's up at Morgan Park). There's a growing list of things to do. I got all three fans working, but it still got a bit hot yesterday - may need the radiator cleaned out. I'll get Gezim to check out the AC while he's got it, and then Marc can work through the list.

16. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Re the radiator,get Marc to check for discarded rags stuffed into the bottom radiator hose!

17. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I really don't want to ask how you know that one...

18. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Well, the 400 survived the 150km trip, keeping perfect temps on the highway, but started getting hot in traffic, and all 3 fans were going, so something to sort out there.
    The steering is still way too loose for my liking, but it's definitely a comfy GT car once it gets going. I could imagine it was a great mile eater on an autostrada in its day.
    BTW, I got into the QV after having all the suspension bushes done, new shocks and stiffer springs. It was like getting out of an aircraft carrier and into a go kart. And when I touched the brakes, I nearly disappeared through the bloody windscreen! The 400 brakes will be the first thing to sort out.

19. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    400's EAT front suspension parts. Not unusual for yours to be sloppy since that is often an overlooked maintenance item. Once you replace them you'll be very happy, trust me.
    If I hit the brakes on my 400 I have trouble walking the next 2 days because my knee was rammed into the dash from the stopping force.
    Hang in there; you'll get it sorted out. You gotta love these cars because they don't make sense to own.... :D

20. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Thanks Dave. It's taken me 7 years to sort the QV finally, but I'm still finding this a bit daunting. I still find it hard to believe that anybody could let a car get like this. I honestly couldn't look at myself in the mirror if I tried to foist this car onto someone in this condition, so even if I on sell it, I'll get it sorted properly first, but hopefully I'll like it better once it's sorted.

21. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    You will, I promise.....it might take a while....don't get discouraged.....you WILL, I promise. These are great cars to play with; sometimes it takes a while.

22. Gizzi

Gizzi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Gezim

I keep telling him the same thing. Once he sorts it and takes his first family sojourn, he will fall in love with it.

23. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Thanks for the encouragement, guys. If I can get it to sound half as good as Gezim's 456, that'll go a long way to convincing me. One of the PO's has put a much simpler exhaust on it, but it now sounds like two 6 cylinder trucks. I also take heart from your comments about the front suspension, Dave. I'll see how it is after I get it tightened up.

24. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I modified my exhaust and it has a nice warm sound now, sounds like a ferrari but still couldnt pull a rooster off a chicken.

25. Al Campbell

Al Campbell Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2013
    Australia
    Persevere with it. I'm sure once you get it sorted your opinion will change.