New 360 Owner - I broke all of the rules | Page 3 | FerrariChat

New 360 Owner - I broke all of the rules

Discussion in '360/430' started by S F, Jul 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. G8TD

G8TD Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2004
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Joe
    What a transformation! Sounds like you've had a fun adventure so far. Yes, the remaining portion of the wrap has got to go :)

S F likes this.
  2. S F

S F Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 13, 2016
    Texas
    I decided to tackle cleaning the engine bay this weekend.

Before:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

After:

I'm thinking to try metal polish on the muffler to see what happens. Also needs some additional tidying up but overall it looks much more presentable.

We have some bad weather possibly coming with the storms in the gulf, so I wanted to take the car on a nice drive before that happens. Unfortunately, the car had other plans and it came home on a tow truck.

The car lost all of its coolant in a pretty spectacular fashion during the 1-2 shift while merging onto the highway. I haven't dug into it yet, but seems likely a hose either ruptured or popped off somewhere. I hope it's nothing serious, but I'll find out soon.

armedferret likes this.
  3. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Welcome to the party pal...

armedferret and S F like this.
  4. S F

S F Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 13, 2016
    Texas
    Feel like I've been officially hazed and now part of the club :)

5. S F

S F Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 13, 2016
    Texas
    Pulled the under tray off to see if I could find my coolant leak and didn't come up with much.

Had a hunch that it may have been around the engine based on the smoke/steam that rolled out of the driver's side and decided to dive in.

I'm impressed with how easy it is to get to the engine from the firewall area. 10-15 mins to get into it isn't bad at all!

I poked around a bit and decided to fill the reservoir up with a gallon of distilled water to help locate the leak, sure enough, it started running out at the thermostat.

Pulled the hose.

The most shocking part of all of this to me is that the replacement part is over $100, but what can you do? I tried going to a few autoparts store but they didn't have anything that would work since it steps down from one size to another.

Which brings me to the next problem of which coolant to use. I've read some use BMW coolant, some use Mercedes and others use whatever is available at their local parts stores. I guess I'll figure it out once the part arrives at the dealer, but I'm leaning towards the BMW coolant since I already have some on my shelf.

6. Neil22

Neil22 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2018
    Oxford CT
    Full Name:
    Neil Silberkleit
    Welcome you drove it like you stole it ;)
    Can you tell us what you used to clean the engine compartment - I noticed the red really pops in the photos after the cleaning.
    I was going to take my intake covers off and have them re-painted since they are really dull.
    would prefer to try and clean them better.

7. S F

S F Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 13, 2016
    Texas
    Haha, thanks. Yes, to clean the engine I used diluted APC and some scrub brushes made for wheel detailing. I then rinsed everything and blew it off to dry. Once that was done, I used Adam's 'In & Out' spray and then wiped with a microfiber to distribute it evenly. My covers are also a bit dull, but the in and out spray is acting as a bit of a matte clear coat on top, which makes them look quite nice again.

I took a time lapse of cleaning the engine, but I still need to put everything together so I can upload the video.

gabf1 and armedferret like this.
  8. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    $100 is cheap for a Ferrari part regardless of where or what it is.

Since you had a hose burst, you should probably expect to replace ALL the engine coolant lines. They have aged out. The expensive part is having someone else do it for you. If you do it yourself, you'll get away for half the Ferrari tax.

A lot of parts can be found without the fancy horsey box for a fraction of the price. Some are impossible to find at any price. Some can be found for a half or less of the list by searching every vendor. Just do your do diligence to find the best deal.

9. Neil22

Neil22 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2018
    Oxford CT
    Full Name:
    Neil Silberkleit
    Can you keep us posted after you refile the system.
    I am having issues with the fans not turning on when I think they should - my have an air lock causing the coolant not to circulate correctly.
    I actually ordered and airlift system to bleed the the system.

10. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    You haven’t broken all the rules until you drive it in the rain. Then you will have checked all the boxes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

EastMemphis likes this.
  11. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I drove my 360 through the rain on a U-Haul trailer when I was bringing it home. Does that count? I can attest that the car did not melt.

Rexcat458, Stealthssfc and Need4Spd like this.
  12. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Lol, if it started up after getting wet, then yes, you can check that box.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

EastMemphis likes this.
  13. Neil22

Neil22 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2018
    Oxford CT
    Full Name:
    Neil Silberkleit
    Well I a guess I am in the same boat - when I first got the car it got stuck in several pop-up storms!

Bob in Texas likes this.
  14. 78bonanza

78bonanza Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jim Cear

15. 78bonanza

78bonanza Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jim Cear
    If you have an original Transmission Control Unit , TCU, I highly recommend you contact “Eric” .
    Do a search here. Ask him to provide a reflashed CS TCU. It will be transformational to your driving experience .

16. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    I just changed my plugs too and noticed they looked just like yours. Did your plugs have oil on the threads? Mine did and guess it's a common problem with the gaskets.

17. 78bonanza

78bonanza Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jim Cear
    I broke that one last weekend . A thunderstorm at that.
    Have to build a check list .
    Everyone should have goals

S F and Bob in Texas like this.
  18. S F

S F Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 13, 2016
    Texas
    I've actually gotten caught in the rain a few times already so I can check that box :)

Bad news is that the carpet gets a bit wet in a rainstorm so I'll have to look into where it is coming from. My hunch is the weatherstripping, but water leaks are always a headache to find.

I went and looked at my TCU since the carpet is currently removed while I'm waiting on my part to arrive. The module looks to be stamped from 2003 and has the part number 211023. After some quick research, it looks like this is the latest unit available, which is awesome news! Between that, the tubi and the red CS key that came with the car, someone spent some money on it at one point. Can't wait to restore it to it's former glory.

Yes, a little bit. To be honest, most plugs I change seem to have this so I didn't see it as that big of a deal.

550nitis likes this.
  19. S F

S F Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 13, 2016
    Texas
    Refilled the system tonight after replacing both of the hoses that connect to the thermostat. Bleeding the system was a total pain, probably one of the worst times I've had bleeding a cooling system. I think I got it done but will have to double check everything tomorrow and go for a drive to ensure all of the air is out of the system.

550nitis likes this.
  20. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    The airlift tool is seriously worth the $100

DBomb117 and S F like this.
  21. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    Absolutely. One of the best time saving tools ever invented and there is not doubt about no air being left in the system. But, you must have an air compressor and few Ferrari owners do their own service so do not have basic tools like air compressors. Another must have tool is the Motive Brake bleeder.

BrettC and S F like this.
  22. S F

S F Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 13, 2016
    Texas
    Luckily I have the motive brake bleeder, will look into the airlift tool for next time. Thanks for the good review!

23. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    Another great tool. Power Probe.

24. S F

S F Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 13, 2016
    Texas
    I made some videos on the car if anyone is interested in checking them out. Mostly just me working on it and showing how it is constructed. It's put together very different than the German cars I'm used to working on; however, it's not overly difficult to work on and actually quite simple in many ways.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. Maranelloman360

Dec 27, 2017
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    andrew Pontoni