348 - new 348ts owner, looking for prior owner | FerrariChat

348 new 348ts owner, looking for prior owner

Discussion in '348/355' started by 348TN, Oct 20, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 348TN

348TN Karting

Oct 14, 2020
    Chattanooga TN
    Full Name:
    Full Name
    I will soon take delivery of a 1992 348ts (last 4 of VIN: 2456 with assembly# 09512). Two owners from new per the carfax, the first owned until 2015.

Black/black targa, looks like it was first in TX for a year, also in IL and NJ throughout it's life. If this sounds familiar to anyone, please text me (not sure I get PMs here) ... I'd love to "meet" you, hear some stories, and fill in some records if you have them

number is:
    4 two three - 4 0 one - eight four 1 6

TIA

Qavion and allandwf like this.
  2. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Welcome to the brotherhood!

sjd

3. 348TN

348TN Karting

Oct 14, 2020
    Chattanooga TN
    Full Name:
    Full Name
    Any dealers / shop owners here able to look to see if it was ever serviced in their shop? (Even just knowing that would be a huge help, of course keeping the owner identity hidden)

4. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    What are the last five of the VIN?

348TN likes this.
  5. Donkeykong87

Donkeykong87 Karting

Aug 31, 2020
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    Johnny Smith
    Did you buy this in Pittsburgh? I was beaten to the punch as I was previously trying to purchase it when it was at the dealership in New Jersey. From the discussion I had with the previous dealership it was owned by a close friend of the dealerships owner. I believe it just had the engine out completed, it sounded like the car was well taken care of.

Of course, maybe it’s not the same car from Pittsburgh, I forgot the name of the dealership.

348TN likes this.
  6. 348TN

348TN Karting

Oct 14, 2020
    Chattanooga TN
    Full Name:
    Full Name
    Yes same car! Too funny, will let you know how it turns out. There’s another one I really really wanted but this one was all original and thought it was a good solid one. I still lust after it so if you’re interested in this one still maybe we can chat offline.
    The NJ dealer did mention a recent engine out and clutch. Had only a few small things to show up in the PPI, mostly some small cosmetics. Getting all that taken care of, along with new tires and any leaks.
    Last 5 of ViN are 92456

7. 348TN

348TN Karting

Oct 14, 2020
    Chattanooga TN
    Full Name:
    Full Name

8. Donkeykong87

Donkeykong87 Karting

Aug 31, 2020
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    Johnny Smith
    I talked to the guys in New Jersey when it was for sale there. We almost had a deal, but they wouldn't budge on the price! I called one day to just buy it, as it looked real clean, and "sold". 3 weeks later I see this car pop up again in Pittsburgh at another dealership. I wasn't positive it was the same car, as I hadn't tracked the VIN or anything, BUT, it had the same radar thing on the steering column, so it had to be...AND they were asking less than the New Jersey dealer!! You wouldn't move a dollar on the price and 3 weeks later it's in another state for less money?! I couldn't figure that one out!

Anyways, I call the place in Pittsburgh to try to get some details as the car was "JUST IN TOO FRESH FOR PHOTOS". They did have one photo of the car though being unloaded from a transport with...New Jersey plates.

I ask the guy about the car and explain I was going to buy it from the dealership in New Jersey, they wouldn't move on their price, and now you're selling it for less than they were. "Yeah, this didn't come from Jersey, it's from L.A."

WHAT?!

No sir, I KNOW it's the same car...plus there's the whole situation of the cars photo ON YOUR WEBSITE, with New Jersey plates! That's a mistake, the car is not from Jersey, it's from L.A....I promptly ended that call. You mistakenly just threw some random New Jersey plates on a car you just transported from L.A.?!?!?!

A few weeks later I look at the dealer from Pittsburgh again and there's a TON of pictures now of the car. I was convinced it was the same car, just as clean, then there was the radar thing I spoke of earlier that I saw.

I don't know what was the whole deal with pretending it wasn't from New Jersey, but a Carfax was going to prove it was obviously, it was just weird.

I'm glad the car worked out and is as clean as it looked.

348TN likes this.
  9. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Seen it s few times out here and even personally, buy a car, then sell it even at a loss shortly there after. I actually donated an E30 3 one time 2 weeks after I bought it. There are only a few reasons for this and most of them are not related to the car being too good. Sometime one just gets lucky however, lets hope this is the case.

348TN likes this.
  10. 348TN

348TN Karting

Oct 14, 2020
    Chattanooga TN
    Full Name:
    Full Name
    Update: Since posting I have taken full delivery of the car and had some good time with it. And I can honestly say it's well above average and definitely far exceeded my expectation (I'm a realist when it comes to sight unseen + 30 year old cars, but I also have high expectations so I am very pleased). The paint / bodywork is absolutely mint. It's nearly impossible to find a flaw anywhere (small tiny chip on upper front bonnet). Original glass. All electrics work (though the radio needs some attention, but the power antennae actually works), windows are good (slow but work), locks, all interior lights are bright. Carpet is perfect, as is the dash, all the leather, no tears, all perfect. Targa is great, comes off no issues. Rubber is a little torn on the latches. Mouse track belts work. No warning dash lights. All lights seem to work, lights popup and hold position / no shaking, driving lights work, high beams good. Gear box is very smooth (after warming up) and clutch engages without a flaw / very tight and responsive. No underside leaks that I can see and nothing up top. Had new tires put on it, valve gaskets done, fresh oil/filter, and a few other small maintenance items.

Hand brake works ok, enough to hold it but not 100% perfect I would say. Some light flaking on the plenums, nothing too bad. Valve covers look good. All hoses look great. There's some small rust / spot in the center of the door sill closest to the cabin, and a spot in the passenger floor / angled foot pad area which I understand is common. No rust underneath or on the buttresses, nothing else I can see anywhere. Rear window showing some light fogging at bottom.

Very pleased to report and looking forward to learning more about these cars from you all / the great wealth of knowledge here. Eventually will get it down to Wade for a major after I spend some more time with it. First up, I'd like to get some 15/25mm Hill Eng spacers...the OEM 17's just dont do it justice. Or if anyone has a set of starfish 18's from a 360 and are in need of some very nice OEM 17's let me know :)

steved033 likes this.