New 1981 400i owner with a problem. | Page 3 | FerrariChat

New 1981 400i owner with a problem.

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by wil, Jun 9, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Welcome the mystery world of Ferrari. Dont be depressed, those things happens all the time with these cars. You have to deal with it...and looking what the problem(s) is/are. Most of the time the problem is very simple to solve....some bad connection, loose wire, ...
    Dont go to a dealer, try to find it yourself...good for your wallet and your confidence.

Que le vaya bien,
    Guido

2. FerrariKingV12

FerrariKingV12 Karting

Nov 21, 2008
    Laguna Beach CA
    Full Name:
    JR
    Wil:

I just read your thread and three comments. After I drive my 400i a few miles and it is warm and I stop. When I come back out to leave if I do not turn the electric power on hold my pedal to the floor for 15 seconds before I turn over the ignition my car will not start. If I do not do this I have to wait around for 30 minutes before I can try it again. As long as I give it those 15 seconds for the fuel to flood the injectors I am in business and it starts like a baby everytime.

Secondly I had a very similar situation to your most recent poor power and frustration. I had the same thing happen where my car started losing all its power and I barely got off the road. I called my mechanic at home because it was Sunday,(I do not know what is worse, the fact I have his home phone or that he answers it. Being a good customer has it's perks) He told me to check the fuse box for my fuel pumps and sure enough my left side fuel pump had a blown fuse. I replaced it and it started and ran like a champ. It has been running strong for abvout 6 months now.

Lastly post your car on the new registry I just had built, www.ferrari400.com , My car is 29617.

JR

3. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Your car is a series 1 car.
    The problem is the hot start relay. It is the reley in the lower right corner if you roll the relay back from the factory position. It is the tall one. The Bosch number is 0 335 322 003.

The guys who listen to me spend $75 for a relay and then send me a bottle of booze as a thank you. The guys who don't listen to me spend thousands of dollars with their ferrari tech and still have the same issue.
    Trust me on this, thats the problem.

4. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    .............and by the way your problem is exactly opposite of what you think. The reason your car won't start is because it IS flooding, not because when you turn on the key you let the injectors flood. With the just the key on there is no fuel flowing through the injectors.

5. FerrariKingV12

FerrariKingV12 Karting

Nov 21, 2008
    Laguna Beach CA
    Full Name:
    JR
    I will try it, I am a really bad mechanic's assistant's assistant so I have no mechanical abilities. Is this something I could do or next time I take my car to the shop should I have it changed??

6. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    If its like the relays on my series 2, it's plug and play.

7. ulf rickard

ulf rickard Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Ulf Rickard
  8. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    Yes, I have one on my car. It spins up the motor so fast compared with the standard one, and it is much lighter and more compact. What's not to like?

Aidan

9. ulf rickard

Sep 28, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Ulf Rickard
    #59 ulf rickard, Oct 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Seems OK to buy then, they were not sure about if the starter fit the 412 model, any comments ?

Bye the way .........

I´ve owned a Caterham, built it myself back in 1989 and raced it for some years. Sold it to a guy who smashed it into an ironcontainer, bye bye nothing left to save
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    #60 aidanparte, Oct 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ulf

I think it is virtually certain that the starter would fit a 412.

That was a beautiful Caterham. I love the aeroscreen set up on it. I had aeroscreens on mine for a while, sold them and bought another set, but haven't put them on the car yet as I've been in the US for 5 years and the Seven is in the UK. It has been restored in the last year - see photo.

Aidan

11. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Will you PLEASE stop posting pictures of those! Come on fellas all you are doing is torturing me. Have mercy, I'd like to have one but biz isn't the greatest , so no more toys.

12. ulf rickard

Sep 28, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Ulf Rickard

if You take of the doors You have no back mirrors ....... nice Seven !

aerosceen is always riding with helmet, but there is one good point, you dont need to speak to your passenger :)

13. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    Ulf

It is hard to see, but there is a rearview mirror on the windscreen. I drove to Le Mans one year with the aeroscreens (no helmet!) in the hopes of increasing top speed. However, I couldn't see anything at over 80 mph!

Aidan

14. ulf rickard

Sep 28, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Ulf Rickard

I am thinking of a video from Top Gear wher "the big guy", dont know his name, drove some kind of old racer without windscreen, his face was almost blown away. Hee-Hee

15. Finance1Jose

Finance1Jose Rookie
    BANNED

Oct 3, 2009

That would be clarkson in the ariel atom

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v4YNkurhLk.

For the Op of the thread I would have to say this and you will not like it you will need to get an electrical person to go over every thing in the engine area and find the source of the problem, at 1st when you mention put it in 5th gear and rock the car might be a crank position sensor with that , is there any type of security feature in the car you might not know about ?

well any way if you can get the car up on a lift and take some photos of the crank pulley and also the sensors around it as well as the areas that you know of any other sensors around the drive train assembly

when you shut off the car when its hot or let it idel down is there does the water temp gauge rise after it is shut down ?

best of luck with this , I know one thing that is frustrating when it comes down to getting into your favorite car for a weekend drive and it either takes a crap on you and just leaving you plain out frustrated.