New 1981 400i owner with a problem. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

New 1981 400i owner with a problem.

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by wil, Jun 9, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rebirthauto

rebirthauto Karting

Mar 25, 2007
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Sebastien
    I don't know about fixing your hot-start problem, but the item surely works.

Got this item installed in #44121. Worked out well other than having to clock the face plate for proper fit, and then grind one of the bosses for clearance. Strangely when i installed the same vendor's item in an e-type, i had none of these aforementioned inconveniences. Ultimately, it'll make future servicing much easier.

2. wil

wil Rookie

Apr 17, 2008
    Barcelona (Spain)
    Full Name:
    Willy Nuez
    ok, just ordered one of those see if it does the trick. I'll let you know.
    (and I still have to take some pics of the interior and post them....)

3. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    I don't get it...why would moving the car slightly when in gear do anything? If I missed the post explaining this, sorry...it's late :)

4. wil

wil Rookie

Apr 17, 2008
    Barcelona (Spain)
    Full Name:
    Willy Nuez
    Yes, I know. The moving car thing is something the previous owner told me and worked a couple of times (maybe luck?), but the other day, when it happened again, I wasn't able to start it doing that. What I really noticed was the starter motor not having enought power to turn the engine fast enough. It finally started with the motor doing less power but pushing a bit the gas pedal, so I figured the most reasonable thing was that the starter really wasn't doing well it's job. If it's finally not the case I would have thrown some very precious cash... :-( aggg!

5. wil

wil Rookie

Apr 17, 2008
    Barcelona (Spain)
    Full Name:
    Willy Nuez
    The hot start problem got finally solved by changing the starter motor by the one I bought on ebay. Now it does start always. You notice inmediatelly how this motors turn the engine really fast as compared with the original one.

I have found some more issues though. The engine was runing quite hot and it seems I've been losing coolant. I haven't seen any stains of water under the car... I'll have to track it down and find the leak. what I have seen are drops going down from the cap of the radiator filler hole, like the is vapor inside, gets condensed and leaks in there...

I also hear now and then a horrible noise that looks like one of the radiator fans, but not the one inmediatelly visible when you open the hood, there must be another one in front of the radiator on the front-right side... I'll have to check it also.

w.

6. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    welcome to this group. very nice looking car, good color and a rear five speed. wish you many good drives. sounds as if a few kinks need working out. some very smart owners on this site, battle worn though they may be

7. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John

Glad to hear that the new starter fixed the problem. Sometimes you have to go down a few paths before you find the solution to the problem.

John

8. carel b.

carel b. Rookie

Sep 8, 2008
    I just bought a 1982 400i that looks and runns great but is sometimes doesn's start when warm because of driving. The enginge turns so it is not the starter engine bus something else. If I checkt the sparks the work when turning arround so Ithink it has to do something with the petrol. maybe viporing befor coming into the cilinder or a automatic chocke that hangs? does anyone now this problem?

Thanks

Carel

9. wil

wil Rookie

Apr 17, 2008
    Barcelona (Spain)
    Full Name:
    Willy Nuez
    My engine also turned with the old starter but you could "feel" it wasn't strong/fast enough to start the engine. When the engine was hot the starter sound slower... Anyway, in my case it was solved with the starter replacement, maybe you have another issue.

Now I'm dealing with a noisy radiator fan (VERY noisy at times), a faulty petrol level indicator and a radiator leak.... patience! If it wasn't so much fun to drive..... ;-)

10. laperriere

laperriere Karting

Mar 10, 2006
    Montreal
    Hi, encountered the same situation. The car was very very difficult to start when the engine was hot. There are some posts about it. In my case, fchat member Dave has given the solution : within the relay box (passenger side, under the carpet), a relay that is twice the size of the other ones was unplugged. Just open the box and check out : re-plug the relay can be the solution.
    Copyright belongs to Dave !
    Olivier

11. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    I could never figure out how this could happen w/FI.

It appears that the Series 1 car has an additional 'start valves' relay that Ferrari coins 'intermittence' (#25) that is absent in the Series 2 & beyond models. I don't know the purpose of relay #25 but I can only hope that the subsuquent models were upgraded by deleting this item. BTW, I think the 'start valves' are just that, they assist in starting @ all temps. but I have found they work best @ cold.

Ferrari advises in the OM's that "it might be useful for very hot engines to slightly press on the accelerator pedal." They also advise to return the ignition key back to position '0' before another attempt to start the engine. I believe the one reason behind this is to re-engage the start valves. Peter of ForzaMS advised me that "starting the car, the Ferrari fuel injection system works well, sometimes starting them requires you hold the throttle down some, I think they set this up to give it the feeling of a carb car, not all examples are like this, you have to learn the feel of the car, please remember that this is a largely hand-built car from a very tiny manufacturer. These cars are almost organic in nature so they behave differently than other cars."
    I must add, Be Patient! Learn the feel of the car..
    I would also like to add that I'm away from home for extended periods at times (2-3 mo.) & some advocate that you can't let these sit around but everytime I come home, it never takes me more than 3 sec. of cranking w/2 attempts combined(w/ orig 'slow' starter & OEM Marrelli ign. mod. replacement on 9/87) & those 12 cyl's. fire up every time. I literally took me a couple of months of trying different approaches & this is what worked best for me:
    Cold Start (w/freq. use):
    Crank engine for 1.5-2 sec. but no more than 2 sec., & w/ no throttle. And above all, don't lay on the starter. I think this is what kills kills them. Return the ign. key back to '0' position & wait 4-5 sec. for fuel to vapor. The engine should fire on the 2nd attempt w/less than 1 sec. of cranking (again w/no throttle) & immediately after starting, I slightly nudge the throttle.
    Hot Start:
    Follow above advise (slight derpression of accel. pedal) but if the R's rip past 2g's, it's too heavy on the blip. I always try to put it @ 1500rpm start.
    Cold Start (after extended storage):
    Follow the above cold start procedure w/the exception of the 2nd attempt. I use the 'hot start' proc. @ this juncture.

Also noticed while digging thru service records that the fuel pump check valves were replaced on 4/92 to correct the hard start problem.

Any info you care to share w/us.....mileage, chassis #, 5 sp or auto., color, any known history to you, etc.?

12. wil

wil Rookie

Apr 17, 2008
    Barcelona (Spain)
    Full Name:
    Willy Nuez
    It seems I was completely wrong and the replacement of the starter didn't really solved the hot engine start problem... :-(

On saturday I had to start the car twice by going downhill... thank God I could go "down"...

After parking the car at home I tried not to get very mad at it and the next morning I gave it a try again and, oviously, it started at the first attempt! AAAArrrrggg!!
    Not only that, but I also noticed that it's radiator leak had gone worse by the size of the pool beneath the front of the car.

I might have to park it for some time before I get some cash to bring it to the mechanic. I love the feels and look of the car, but after this saturday I'll have to give it some time before forgiving "him".

I'll recheck all the thread posts to see more things to try. I'll keep you posted.

w.

13. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce

What, no profile?? Filling it out helps others help you.

For anyone who doesn't want to be 100% dependant on the mechanic to fix every little problem under the hood, & your car is injected, I recommend "How to Understand, Service and Modify Bosch Fuel Injection & Engine Management" by Charles O. Probst, SAE,
    'available @ Amazon.com or a book drop near you' (taken from the SNL skit on Biden/Palin Debate). LOL

I think it's one of the best $20. classes you'll ever take. It covers both pulsed & continuous injection systems. Hot start problems have come up in the past in this section, & it all points to fuel.
    For a primer, his suggested causes are:
    1.) Cold start valve leaking or operating continuously,
    2.) Fuel pressure incorrect,
    3.) Air-flow sensor plate rest position incorrect,
    4.) Insufficient residual fuel pressure,
    5.) Fuel injectors faulty or clogged.

This is a problem I experienced after I bought my 400i & remembered what Peter (Forza Motorsports) told me....
    "Sometimes starting the car requires holding the throttle down some,...give it the feeling of a carb car, not all examples are like this, you have to learn the feel of the car."
    If I don't do this, my car 'will not start' after I stop. It takes a little practice, I don't step on the throttle until I start cranking. Try to keep the start-up blip to 1200-1300 RPM, 1500 MAX. This would be the 1st thing I'd recommend trying before getting involved w/pressure guages, yanking injectors, etc..

14. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Be sure the coolant is coming from the radiator and not the overflow hose. If it is from the hose, make sure you have a correct spec radiator cap and that it is not worn out.

15. wil

wil Rookie

Apr 17, 2008
    Barcelona (Spain)
    Full Name:
    Willy Nuez
    In fact I replaced the cap the other day since the original one was quite worn out, with the new cap I get no leaks from the top but I got one bigger somewhere else... :-/
    Since now the cap works right it might be putting more pressure in the other(s) leaks.

@blkprlz : You're right! I didn't fill most of the profile, now there's more info. :)

w.

16. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    On the new cap, just be sure that the rating is correct. No less than a Ferrari dealer serviced my car and put a brand new radiator cap on with the wrong pressure rating. Had major overflow leaks and overheating until I figured iut out.

17. wil

wil Rookie

Apr 17, 2008
    Barcelona (Spain)
    Full Name:
    Willy Nuez
    Hi all again!

In february my battery was just dead, so I was so frustrated with the car and broke that I haven't touch it or post here for months. Until now.

The first spare money I have in months and I just put it on a new more powerful battery to the car... :-/ (go figure!)

The car now starts and runs great. It even starts beeing hot after some use, wich could indicate that my starter problem could be related to a crapy battery... I'll be able to tell in a couple of months I suppose.

I still have to figure out what is the problem with it leaking coolant though.

Yesterday I gathered some courage and took the car for a 200km trip under the summer spanish sun. The car performed well all the trip, with its temperature between 85º - 90º in the highway, so everything ok. When I went back to the city, it climbed up in city traffic to about 100º, but not over, and when I parked it in the garage got a major coolant leak beneath the car (maybe 1L. in about half a minute and it stopped).

Sounded like it might be boiling and going out through the radiator cap or the expansion tank, I couldn't tell exactly where it was coming from because when I opened the bonnet I couldn't see any evident point and had a very little amount of light (note to myself: leave a lantern on the glove compartment).

Anyway, today I went down the garage and refilled the more or less 1L. of coolant that came out. Started the car, everything seems ok. What I also noticed is a discrepancy between the pressure of my old Radiator cap and the new one I bougth from Eurospares. The first reads 0,9 BAR and the new one has a 0,5 on it.

I Checked also if I could see water in the oil level dipstick and no, checked for oil in the filling cap of the radiator and seems that not.
    I checked this because I'm getting the impression that I might have bad head gaskets (in one or both of the engine heads).

So, I get two questions from all this that some of you might help me figure out:

1st. What should be the correct Radiator cap pressure for a 400i GT? (firts series, 5 speed manual) sjmst pointed out in the previous post that it seems quite important.

2nd. How I can diagnose if I have a head gasket problem and how can I tell on what side?
    This second possibility scares me the most, as you can imagine.

18. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    #43 Ashman, Aug 23, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
    The manual for my series 2 400i 5 speed (GT) shows that the radiator expansion tank pressure cap should have a rating of 12.8 pounds per square inch. Since I believe that 12.8 psi translates to 0.8825 BAR, you should immediately change your cap to one that is rated 0.9 BAR.

Also, is it possible that you are overfilling? When the engine is cold, the expansion tank should be empty. If there is liquid in the expansion tank after the car has sat overnight, there will not be enough room to accept the overflow when the engine is hot and you will end up having the excess coolant leak out of the car.

Head gasket leaks can be indicated by oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil, depending on where the leak occured. Oil in the coolant does not indicate positively that a head gasket is bad as there are some other ways for oil to get into the coolant, namely a bad oil seal in the water pump as an example. While the water pump bearings cannot be replaced with the engine in the car, the oil seal in the water pump can be replaced without removing the engine.

A head gasket still could be bad without either of those two symptoms if the break in the gasket does not happen at a coolant or oil passageway between the head and the block. This could be detected by a compression test and the compression will be zero in the affected cylinder(s). That will also tell you which head gasket is bad. A very simple compression check without a tester can be done by removing all of the spark plugs and disconnecting the coil wire and then have an assistant turn over the engine. Place your thumb over each open spark plug hole and there should be a noticeably lower amount of pressure being pumped out of any bad cylinders compared to those that are good. This obviously isn't very precise at all but may help you figure out whether you need to do additional testing.

If you have no oil or coolant in places where it should not be and you have good compression in all cylinders (less than plus or minus 10% reading from average reading) then I would say your head gaskets are okay.

19. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    The best thing to do is fil up your radiator to the max and put the cap on. Leave your reservoir almost empty when the engine is cold. Drive and see what happens.

Let the car then sit to be cold again. When the radiator is still full...you have no leak.

Guido

20. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I think part or all of your problem is the incorrect pressure on the radiator cap. You said the temp in the city was 100 (boiling). Once you shut down the engine it's temperature continues to go up for the next 15-20 minuets. A higher IE correct cap will raise the boiling point and you did say you could hear the coolant boiling. I think the question is, why is there an incorrect cap? Did the previous owner put the wrong cap on because that's what was laying around, or was it done on purpose? In other words try the correct cap first, it would also be the easiest to check.

21. wil

wil Rookie

Apr 17, 2008
    Barcelona (Spain)
    Full Name:
    Willy Nuez
    I will do the easy part first, change the cap for the higher pressure one, fill the radiator and make sure the expansion tank is empty. See what happens.

The current cap was ordered through eurospares and they list the same item for all the 400s.

Checking the order I did for it last year I can see the 0,5 refers to INCH and not the pressure, they list the pressure to be 0,7 BAR for those caps.

>> Qty Description Unit Amount
    >> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    >> 1 Part No. 101484 £8.83 £8.83
    >> New Ferrari 400 GT (Mechanical)
    >> Tappo per radiatore - 0.5 INCH

I'll try again with the 0,9 one which seems to be the correct one according to Ashman post.

Next weekend I can do some more driving and see what happens.

22. Stefano1

Stefano1 Karting

Dec 28, 2008
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Stefano Bini
    Hi Wil: good luck with everything. Personally, and very selfishly, I'd love to see some more images of your car, possibly in the spanish countryside with or without a beautifull brunette with big brown eyes along side (preferably with). Come on, share the love! Yours is a beautiful example of a relatively rare car: a black on black, 400i 5 speed series I in great condition. In some of our opinions, from an aesthetic perspective, the best of the breed.

23. wil

wil Rookie

Apr 17, 2008
    Barcelona (Spain)
    Full Name:
    Willy Nuez
    he, he, he! I'll take some pics, although I cannot assure there will be a bautiful brunette in there with the car. :)

24. wil

wil Rookie

Apr 17, 2008
    Barcelona (Spain)
    Full Name:
    Willy Nuez
    Sorry guys, no pics, got terribly angry yesterday when I went to try out the car witht the correct 0,9 BAR cap.

After checking everything I got the car out of the parking, but it felt really strange. I thought maybe it was cold or something but it didn't go away. It felt like the car didn't have any power, you could step the accelerator to the bottom but it wouldn't go the revs up and was rattling while trying to accelerate.
    Didn't have power to the point of not beeing able to go up a parking ramp!!!

Now I'm officialy depressed... this was to much. I had a very hard time trying to get it back to the parking and finding a way home with no steep ramps.
    As for the coolant leak it was there again, only this time I got to see how the coolant was coming out from the small hose on the expansion tank. It spit some for lik 30 seconds and stopped.
    Temp was ok though.

Maybe this is too much for me. I'll trey to find a reason not to sell it, but first I have to forget this last "trip".

25. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John

Willy

I know it must be very frustrating but try to remember that this Ferrari is a car just like the most ordinary driver on the road. Do not be intimidated just because it has the Ferrari name and logo on the car!

Like all cars it needs fuel, air and spark to perform well and your car with the Bosch K-Jetronic Fuel Injection is a very well known and conventional setup. Be patient and check the usual things, including whether your fuel pumps are working properly and you will sort things out.

Good luck!

John