neighbors | FerrariChat

neighbors

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by zudnic, Apr 15, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    Mine are annoying me. There is only five houses on my street including mine. Two have dogs and no fencing. The dogs roam around free. My street is a dead end. So three of us put out our garbage in the same area. We only get garbage collection every two weeks. We are also limited to 3 garbage bags per household. One of my neighbors rents out their guest house. They are always over the garbage bag limit. 9 times out of 10 the garbage man leaves behind the over limit bags. Sometimes they leave all of my garbage. This happened again today. Make matters worse one of two neighbors doesn't use garbage bins. The roaming dogs get into their garbage. 9 times out of 10 I clean up the garbage because I don't like the mess in front of my house.

But now I'm thinking of writing a nice letter about the garbage limit and containing dogs on garbage day! One thing is for certain, I'll never move into a house at the end of a dead end street. No cul da sacs either.

2. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    O.k. at least the one neighbor cleaned up the garbage on the street. The only complaint is they put it all into my can. Non of it mine. Should dump the can on their doorstep.

3. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Why not see if the garbage contractor will agree to pick up in only designated areas, each having a separate house number? And then you police it to be sure the rental house is not poaching on your quota and put any excess bags back into their area. Then complain to the health department about a sanitary violation from their property if they go over quota and bags are left.

4. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Renters need to pay for a home's worth of collection also.

Not sure how it works there, but is a "guest house" actually able to be rented legally? Here at least you cannot just chop up a single residence into multiple residences. A house can be rented of course, but one "residence" cannot be broken up without a permit.

5. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    We have a designated area for pick up. But all 3 houses (including mine) put it out in the same general area. One of us doesn't use garbage cans. We are allowed unlimited clear recycling bags. The limit is to force us into recycling. I'm just tired of being the only one who cleans up the area after pick up. When its the house on the right of me that lets their dog roam around free. She gets into the garbage. At least today the renters on the left cleaned up the area. They shouldn't have put it in my can though.

You can put in a suite here with permits or a separate guest house. Its supposed to be family only, but they sneak in regular renters.

6. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Is there a HOA you could report too?

7. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    No HOA. Could report them to the city, only family members can use suites or guest houses. But I have a thing against government telling people how they can use their private property. So I won't.

8. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Have you tried just going and having a conversation with them? Sometimes a strong conversation will solve everything.

9. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    I would talk to them but they are not very friendly. Eight years here and I've talked with them 3 times. Once was returning their little dog that got into my field and almost chomped by a Coyote. If I didn't see the little dog and they stalking coyote it would have been killed. They didn't even say thank you. My other neighbors are nice and do chit chat when I see them. The unfriendly ones have had their dogs hit by cars, one was killed by a coyote. They still let their mutts roam free.

10. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    Move or man up. You won't talk to them about it then you can't complain about it. They're walking all over you.

11. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    True. Just venting. I bumped into them this morning. They are going to buy garbage cans for their tenants.

I actually want to move. Not because of this.

12. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Might be a good time to cash out of Vancouver anyway.

13. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    Yes its a good time to cash out. I'm seriously considering it. With land values up, buying a place with extra land. Well it might let me cash out. Buy a bigger better house on less land for less money. Advantage. No capital gains tax on farm land or primary residence in Canada. My house is both. Can pocket some money. Live in the new house for the next cycle.

14. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Life...what a strange trip.

15. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    1. Call animal control.
    2. Turn them in for the illegal rental.
    2. See about getting a neighborhood dumpster.

16. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    This week was better. All neighbors using garbage cans now.

Now I'm on a relative rant!

17. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    Blasted neighbors! I spoke with them a few weeks ago. Now today, they put two extra bags in my bins. If one neighbor is over the 3 bag limit. The garbage people leave all the garbage. Recycling is unlimited bags. But if they leave the garbage they leave the recycling bags. So net my garbage became over the limit and they left all the garbage and recycling. My other neighbor was out and he didn't leave extra garbage. Nasty note time!

18. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Suggest you also direct a note to the person who is renting out their place to the miscreants and imply that they are responsible for a public health code violation.

19. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Your neighbors suck and need two bags of their garbage left on their lawn with the trash policies stapled to the bags.

And speaking of the trash service, they suck as well. No alternatives that are more reasonable and focused on customer service?

I changed trash services a few months ago because my existing one kept creeping the price up while at the same time imposing stupid fees and policies. Basically they had been bought out and the new genius minds thought they could just forget about the customer and charge for every little thing. When they contacted me why I had left after 12 years I told them exactly why and encouraged her to have her boss call me and I would explain it to them as well. They never called.

20. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    New tenants. They didn't have room in their bin so they thought it was ok to put it in mine. I have two bins. One only has one bag and the other two. They didn't know mine was at the limit. You can buy stickers for extra bags. $2.50 each. I have a roll just in case, over the summer I can have up to 10 people staying over the weekend. Since garbage collection is early usually by 7am. We all put it out the night before. I do it late like 9:30 pm to 10pm. I'll sometimes put a sticker on a bag if I see the neighbors over the limit or put one on mine. But sometimes they put it out in the morning. At least they apologized. I should have left mine out. Both neighbors own businesses with big commercial bins and they took the garbage there.

Collection is via the city by contract. Only one company in the area. You could order a commercial bin. But I don't want one in my yard!

I actually signed a listing agreement last week. I believe my house due to extra land is worth X. I can downsize land. Go from 40 acres to 5 and under. Probably get a bigger better house on less land and pocket some money.

No cul da sacs or dead end streets. Want a min 1acre separation from neighbors.

21. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Why don't you let everybody else involved know that you have emergency trash bag stickers available for only $5 each? Make a profit on their incompetence. Serves them right.

22. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    As long as one property line meets another there will be neighbors to deal with at some point.

23. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Boy that's the truth.

We owned an 80 acre farm when I was a kid. My grandmother lived on the property. You couldn't see a neighbor, but you'd know they were there when they dumped their **** on the backside of the property, or went hunting at 6AM on the property, or went off roading on it as well.

As the township had no local police, she'd have to call the state police, who were not always terribly responsive.

D

24. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    True you can't get rid of neighbors entirely. But you can limit contact with them. If we didn't share a garbage area, I probably would have never even met my neighbors. I met the guy up the street because he was renting the barns. He rescued race horses with a rescue group. I didn't use the stalls or pens, so continued his rental when I bought the place. He also mows my fields for hay. Means less maintenance for me. Also puts cattle on my property. Reduces my power bill by 25%. The guy two houses down is annoying, he hosts corporate events, weddings and now has lots of film production at his house. But he's a nice guy.

Police response is pretty good. Even though the nearest residential neighborhood is 5 miles away. Besides the city police. The RCMP has a large presence as they are the police for the neighboring towns around us. The RCMP are unique. They are a military unit (act as MPs for the military), federal police (like FBI), provincial police in all provinces except Quebec and Ontario (although they do federal in those provinces), finally municipal policing and act as city police. Net they have no jurisdiction boundaries in Canada. So if we call 911, both the local police and RCMP can show up.

25. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    I almost forgot about this.

Search is on for man who stole car at gunpoint - Abbotsford News

The above was my next door neighbor. Their guest house tenant called police. Both local and RCMP showed up after the guy rammed the local cops patrol car. I lock the gate into my house, just because we got a lot of "lost" traffic and you don't know who is in these vehicles. Last week I left the gate open. A car showed up at my house 12:30 am, dog went nuts (biggest reason I have big dogs). He said he was looking for a "friend". The other two times I've left it open, have had separate occasions of old ladies looking for the highway. Highway is 5 miles south from me. One lady was so confused. I ended up calling my brother to come over. I drove the ladies car back to her apartment in town and had him follow me to take me home. She was so confused she couldn't remember her building. Had to get her drivers license. Politely told her family maybe sending her for oil changes isn't a good idea.

Another reason I want to live on a less busy non dead end street.