Need SUV help | FerrariChat

Need SUV help

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by judge4re, Aug 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Okay, the wife wants to replace her Lexus ES300 with a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I've driven them and really don't like the way they handle. I'm leaning towards a Lexus LX instead. Has anyone owned both and can help me?

BTW, she's said no to the chili pepper, doesn't like the styling...

2. The JGC and Lexus LX are on a totally different level. The Jeep is more quicker has much better stopping and handling power then the LX its lighter. The LX is more roomy its underpowerd doesnt stop all that well. But its an overall much more luxrious car and more expensive. Have you driven the 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland you can get a fully loaded now with rosewood wheel and dash, navigation, two tone leather seats and the 4.7HO for around 35k as the WJ 99-04 model year is about to end and the new WK is about to start.

It all comes down to what you really want LX is a nice car but more expensive bigger etc.. Drive both and have your wife drive both.

3. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Been a long time since I rode in a Cherokee, but I do have LX470. It is a huge luxoboat with the emphasis on luxury. Your wife might want to try the GX if the LX is too big. BTW, what is this "handling" thing you speak of?

Dale

4. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Sorry, I lived in the south too long.

5. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Erik:

We just got a Cadillac SRX about 6 weeks ago for my wife/6mo/3yo. V8, AWD, more room in back than our '01 750il. I don't like American cars very well, but this thing is pretty nice. Well built compared to X5, etc. Drives and handles nicely, quiet, and A/C handles TX heat/humidity well, even with huge glass roof. Will tow too. Weighs 1200-1400# LESS than Cayenne, etc.

Cayenne Turbo came home a few months back, but it didn't have enough room for rear facing infant seat. New Range Rover was too big (we've had 2, a 97 and a Callaway). Car and Driver really liked the Caddy, and the V6 is not too expensive, about 40-42k iirc.

FWIW

6. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Erik,

I've been looking at a new SUV for a couple of months. There are a lot out there and it is a tough decission. To make it a bit more interesting for you, I will tell you the '05 Jeep Grand Cherokee will have some real nice options. I've been told it will have a Hemi engine 325 / hp 370 / Torque, best in class. It will have advanced Nav. system and bluetooth. I think I'll be picking one up.

Eric

7. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Oh, I should have mentioned it, I'm looking for something 2-3 years old (or what will be 2-3 years old when I return stateside in January 2006). I'll let someone else take the initial depreciation hit.

8. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    JUST BOUGHT A CHRYSLER PACIFICA...ITS UNREAL

AWD, DVD, NAVIGATION...DEFINATELY WORTH A LOOK....

BRUCE

9. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    That is always what I do also............. In this case I think I'm scewed. This Jeep is going to be very hard to beat. On the plus side should make the '04 worth a lot less.

BTW- I think this will have a bigger towing cap. then the H2

10. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    The LX470 is a great SUV. I've had no problems or issues. The only thing to watch is brakes as the it eats them fast. I see about 15,000 miles out of brakes.

Take a good look at the GX also as the good doc advised. I'll go that way next time.

11. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    The H2 is a joke. Not even on our radar screen.

And we've driven one, so I'm not dissing it based on magazine articles. :)

12. Skyjacked97ZJ

Skyjacked97ZJ Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    Gastonia, NC
    Full Name:
    Will Moose
    If you want smooth riding and luxury, you could always spring for a Range Rover. I just bought one and Im absolutely in love with it, smoothest riding SUV Ive ever been in, and you'd be hard pressed to find something more luxurious.

13. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    We've had them in the family. Very unreliable, bordering on trash. No thanks. Luxury is secondary, we just want a good truck.

14. htran

htran Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2004
    Tracy(NoCa)/HB(SoCa)
    Full Name:
    P Quach
    Check out the Infiniti QX56, best towing in its class (9000lbs towing cap.), seats 7 or 8 comfortably depends on seating configuration, have a niffty rear camera and sensor that make backing and parallel parking a sinch, also have distronic cruise control that you hardly use your gas or brake while cruising on HWY. It came fully loaded, the only option is the moonroof. I had ML320, MDX..., tested drive Escalade, Navigator...., picked QX56 for price, performance, towing and amenities... Fits perfectly for a family of 5 or 6- a big SUV. The little sister is the Nissan Armada. Henry

15. gentry

gentry Guest

^^-- What he said.

Next to a Range Rover, it is probably the best SUV on the market.

16. htran

htran Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2004
    Tracy(NoCa)/HB(SoCa)
    Full Name:
    P Quach
    The QX56 cost about $45K-$48K range compare to the new Range Rover $80K? price tag. With my three little kids (Tesmanian Devils) in tow, the RR is too nice for them to trash in.

17. gentry

gentry Guest

The QX is closer to 50k to start, but yes a much cheaper alternative and it will do the job quite well. When I decide to get an SUV again, that is probably what it will be.

You could also look at the X5. It is nice, capable, and not too horribly priced.

QX56
    FX45

GX470
    LX470

X5

I would keep all of those as options.

18. htran

htran Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2004
    Tracy(NoCa)/HB(SoCa)
    Full Name:
    P Quach
    I must got a good deal then, bought the 1st one @ santa clara infiniti, with the right color/combo that my wife wanted.

19. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I had five different LX's before getting the Cayenne Turbo. They are get Luxury SUV's kind of reminded me of driving my living room. I had only one problem with one of the trucks, other than thaqt they are great trucks. The new ones come with 18's (with all seasons) instead of 16 with snows, so the newer (03 and up) ones are not as good in the snow. I brought a set of the older 16's and put snow tires on for the winter.