Need info on this old Rolex | FerrariChat

Need info on this old Rolex

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by WPOZZZ, Jul 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    I just found this in my desk drawer while cleaning. My great aunt passed away in 06, and I inherited her house. I cleaned up a lot of the stuff in the house, but there are still lots of old papers to go through. I use the desk, but never cleaned it out. I have my mother at the house, so I'm spending many hours there everyday. Can't just sit around, so I've been doing some cleaning, repairs, and now going through things in my office. My great uncle used the desk to do his work.

I literally opened the bottom drawer and there it was! I never pulled that bottom drawer out much because it was kind of stuck. My first thought was it was a fake because of the printed crown on the dial, and the sport hands on a dress watch. Then I look at the serial number, and the cover. Things got interesting. Then I looked at the crown. Hmmm.

I looked up the serial number, and first thought it was from 1957. Came home and did more research and it may be from 41-44 as I found out Rolex repeated the serial #s after the first million.

The crown screws down, but I cannot move the hands. Everything seems frozen. Ill probably go to my watch guy tomorrow.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

walnut likes this.
  2. poljav

poljav F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Pol J.
  3. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    My watch guy opened up the watch when I went to his shop. He zeroed in on a broken balance staff. I asked where he would get the parts and he said there is one company on the mainland that he will check. The founder came from Switzerland and the 3rd or 4th generation now runs the business. I have no idea as to the company's name, but if any of you Rolex aficionados have the name of other companies that might have the balance wheel and shaft, I would be grateful!

4. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Can't your watchmaker staff the current wheel? That is a pretty common procedure as balance staffs used to break all the time before shock protection. If he can't find a factory part try www.balancestaffs.com.

5. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    I'm not sure. He spotted it right away and I'm not knowledgeable on watch movements to understand what it entails. I hope he can get it up and running.

6. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    Wow cool find! Sad it came through a loss in the family, but if you can get it going and wear it... in a way it always keeps them closer to you

7. mavila

mavila Rookie

Jun 13, 2019
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    mavila
    randkin and QtrItalian like this.
  8. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I believe that's a 6466 Oysterdate Precision
    Should be marked on the inside of the caseback.

Camp Freddie likes this.
  9. mavila

mavila Rookie

Jun 13, 2019
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    mavila
    Thanks! That looks like it. When I had it serviced I should have asked but I forgot. I need to buy a new band for it. The guy that serviced it said he was surprised the band still stretched/flexed pretty well and that if it broke I probably wouldn't be able to find a replacement. I'm thinking a brown leather band to somewhat match the face. Any suggestions?

MarkL likes this.
  10. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    #11 WPOZZZ, Jan 31, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
    Yes, brown leather would work best. Now to decide if you want croc/alligator grain, smooth or suede type. I believe that may be a 19mm width. My 4220 posted above take a 17mm.

There is a guy in Hong Kong that repairs jubilee bracelets to like new condition. He may be able to repair the rivet bracelets. http://www.classicwatchrepair.com/

11. XLNLIFE

XLNLIFE Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2005
    SOUTHERN CA
    Full Name:
    JEREMY :
    walnut and 54greg like this.
  12. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    How long is too long? I dropped off the 4220 the day after I started this thread. My watch guy is a one man operation and he does good work. The problem is he keeps taking more and more jobs and doesn't have the time to finish all the watches. During the day, he is inundated with customers coming in and needing a new battery for their watches. A few months after I posted this thread, he called and said the watch was done. I went to get the watch the next day and he said there was a problem. The watch needed a new balance staff, and he got one that had to be modified. He modified it, and was finishing it up for me and if I remember correctly, it broke. Since then, I have been waiting...patiently. So how long is too long? I figured I could send it to LA Watchworks, but I feel like I am insulting the guy if I took it back.

13. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    It is always a sad day when I have to part ways with a formerly reliable person in the trades, but I have come to realize, as people grow older, their skills/performance level often drops. Time to find a new watchmaker.

Boomhauer likes this.
  14. QtrItalian

QtrItalian Karting

Jan 22, 2021
    The potential annoying problem is if you will be charged for work done to date even though it isn't working. Sounds like it needs a proper staff job but that means sourcing a NOS or correct aftermarket staff (unless a new one is made but without the correct one for patterns (dimensions) this is difficult). Hopefully the hairspring is ok. Before taking it elsewhere, if that's what you do, ask if another place can do the staff replacement. The problem is that parts are tightly controlled in the industry and a local repairer can't order directly from Rolex without being an authorized dealer or repair center. If you take it to Rolex you're looking at probably a $1000. bill, maybe a little less as they will insist on re-cleaning, crown seal replacement and anything else in addition to the parts and labor for what is now needed. Good luck it's a nice piece and has a great honest dial.

15. QtrItalian

QtrItalian Karting

Jan 22, 2021
    I looked and staffs for a 600 series movement (if that's what this has) is $25-$75 depending on if aftermarket or NOS, etc. So, it should be possible to source and replace assuming nothing else is needed. If the staff is replaced the movement will need position timing which will take work. It's tricky as the "superbalance" has only two timing screws so to balance in the other positions (if needed) requires use of timing washers. This is doable but literally a few hours of work. There's no point in wearing a Rolex if it runs like an Ingersoll.

16. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    I haven't had the time to go and talk to the guy, but yes, he did say after he replaced the staff, it takes a lot time to set the watch correctly.

17. tonypeoni

tonypeoni Karting

Aug 14, 2006
    I’m into the sports watches. I have 6239,6241,1675,1680 mostly 4 digit Rolex from 66 to 76.

Anything that is a sports rolex that falls during the vietnam war is pretty collectible.

The above are nice watches but I feel that they are not super collectible.

I have just purchase a gilt dial 1675 and after many many months of negotiations it’s FINALLY in my watch drawer.

Sad thing is back in the 80s these sport rolex watches would trade for $250 to $500.

Now the 62XX can bring $500,000+

I nearly guarantee you a few of those watches were at some point pawned for $100s…

Many stories of the late models (1979 1980) 6263’s offered as prizes to customers who purchased multiple watch’s as they would just sit on the shelf…

It really was men’s dress watches back then…dayjust daydate airking thunderbird presidential daydates were HUGE especially the “barked” case and knurled wood dials.. even the cellini’s were more desirable than a sports rolex…

WOW have things have changed!!!

Big time.

Now 2021 you have to buy a few dress watches before they will even consider placing you on a list to WAIT for the next sport rolex in the display case.

My favorite is the well told instance of a rolex dealer in the late 1970s who was saddled with so many 62xx models they were selling them for cheap $500? and kicking them under display cases in agitation !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

18. tonypeoni

tonypeoni Karting

Aug 14, 2006
    It’s now $850 and a 30 day wait to service a GMT movement at a rolex dealer.

19. tonypeoni

tonypeoni Karting

Aug 14, 2006
    I know that does not pertain to the above watches but gives you some idea of servicing vintage swiss watches.

20. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    I think your watch repair guy has reached his peak of what to do on your watch. Get it back and take it to LA Watchworks. And let them look at the bracelet while they are at it.

21. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    That is my plan, but I am to blame, too. I don't go and check up on it.