Need info on Pittsburgh | FerrariChat

Need info on Pittsburgh

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by f1_nix, Mar 26, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. f1_nix

f1_nix Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 12, 2005
    Ft. Worth, TX
    My daughter and her boyfriend will be moving to the Pittsburgh area in a few months to continue graduate school at the University of Pittsburgh. What are the areas to avoid and areas to seek out for housing near the school? Recommendations for good dining, coffeehouses, etc. that would appeal to an educated mid-20's pair? Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Oops the thread title should say "need" not "nedd".

2. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Shadyside, Squirrel Hill are more traditional upscale neighborhoods. Lawrenceville is hipster central and East Liberty has been blowing-up with recent development. You don't want to stray too far from the main drags in East Liberty and Lawrenceville, both areas are in transition. Email or PM me if you like.

3. f1_nix

f1_nix Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 12, 2005
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Thanks for that info. I'll pass it on to my daughter. I'll PM/email if they have more detailed questions.

4. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    There really are no bad neighborhoods in Pittsburgh.

I’d suggest she live somewhere close she to campus in Oakland or on a main bus line near Negley, Fifth or Forbes. From there she can Uber to Lawrenceville or anywhere else. Shady side is also an excellent place, convenient to campus.

Matt

5. f1_nix

f1_nix Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 12, 2005
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Thank you.

Anyone have other ideas or info to share?

6. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Just make sure that she's a mile or so west of campus. Closer if possible.

From there you can get anywhere.

Matt

7. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I have a friend who manages hundreds of rental properties in the east end. If you like I can put you in touch with him--he is a serious car guy as well.

8. f1_nix

f1_nix Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 12, 2005
    Ft. Worth, TX
    That would be great. You can PM or email it to me. Thanks.