need help regarding purchasing a 1984 440i | FerrariChat

need help regarding purchasing a 1984 440i

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by koisokok, Dec 8, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    hello all. I am new to the forum and was hoping to get some help from someone on here. I am in the process of buying an 84 400i with 8600 miles on it but have a situation that I am wary about. I ran the carfax on the vin of the car and it seems to be having problems with passing admissions.12/20/2002 5,583 Georgia
    Inspection Station Failed emissions inspection
    12/20/2002 5,595 Georgia
    Inspection Station Failed emissions inspection
    01/24/2003 5,715 Georgia
    Inspection Station Passed emissions inspection
    will this be a problem for me? especially when I live in California?? what could be the problem with it being such a low mileage car?? any feedback or recommendations would be appreciated. hope to be back on this forum soon. wish me luck

2. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    If the car is not running very well, it will have difficulty passing. Also, does the car still have it's smog equipment and catalytic converters? Both will be needed to get through CA emissions.

good luck and welcome aboard!

Art S.

3. KraigG

KraigG Formula 3

May 25, 2006
    Willow Springs
    Full Name:
    Kraig
    Yeah, rotsa ruck getting it passed in CA. I've had mine here for 6 months now, and have given up ever getting it CA certified. It's a nightmare!

Do what I finally did: Register it out of state at a friend's or relatives' house.

4. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Don't forget that the 400i series was never officially imported to the U.S. and so every single one that is here either had to be converted to pass EPA and DOT requirements or it is here illegally.

It is simple to check with both the EPA and DOT by phone to see if the car you are considering has both of its exemptions as a starter.

Assuming that it did at one time have the equipment necessary for EPA/DOT exemptions, it still can be difficult, but not impossible to make the car pass local emissions inspections.

I am not familiar with the laws in California, but my understanding is that the laws there are the toughest and most difficult to pass.

Good luck, but do your homework before you pay any money for the car.

John

5. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    the car has DOT work and EPA certification completed in 1985.. just want to thank everyone for there feedback..will let you know if i pull the trigger on it in a couple days..

6. FSC-Mike

FSC-Mike Rookie

Apr 4, 2004
    Newport Beach, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Mike Grieco
    Over the past 5 or 6 yrs. I have grandfathered in several of the older Euro. models.(Boxers, 308's, 400's, and some early Lambo's) All imported cars that were already here(Ca.), prior to ?/87 were supposed to get retested by the Referee and would get the BAR sticker. Very few people complied so the State started to crack down through the "Test Only" reg. process. Cars with out a 17 digit vin were easy pickens....The State did offer the program of "Grandfathering" in the cars-If the illegal cars were in Ca. and registered for at least seven years, could pass the test, and the owner could prove the entry date complied; The Ref. would have to issue the Bar sticker with the smog equipment on the car. If your car came into Ca. after the entry cut off in the Mid 1980's, or simply failed, OR YOU JUST PURCHASED IT OUT OF STATE...IT IS OFF TO THE LAB YOU GO. There are only a few places that can Ca. Cert. a Euro car today and it is not cheap!

7. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    This is the ebay car. No way this 24 year old car has 8,000 miles on it considering it has had 4 owners in the US, who knows how many in Europe.
    Notice how the milesage is quoted in miles? If it has a MPH speedo in it then it isn't the original one. They didn't come with MPH speedos.

8. KraigG

KraigG Formula 3

May 25, 2006
    Willow Springs
    Full Name:
    Kraig
    True, but how many miles could have been put on the car in Italy before going onto the boat for the ride over? A few dozen? A few hundred?

The folks buying these gray market cars in the US didn't want "used" cars, they wanted new ones before certifying them. Some may have brought over and converted used ones, perhaps, but I have to imagine the majority of the 400s brought over were new.

9. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    YOU KNOW I GOT POSITIVE FEEDBACK AND NEGATIVE FEEDBACK ON PURCHASING THIS CAR..AND IN LIFE IF YOU DONT GAMBLE YOU WOULD NEVER KNOW!! SO I PULLED THE TRIGGER AND THOUGHT I GOT A GREAT DEAL ON A VERY CLEAN CAR. I ALSO SAW THE CARFAX AND THE MILAGE LOOKED PRETTY ACURATE FOR A PERSON KEEPING A FERRARI FOR A WEEKEND DRIVER RATHER THAN A DAILY DRIVER..SO ANYWAYS THANKS FOR THE WELCOME ON THIS FORUM AND WILL KEEP YOU ALL POSTED WHEN I RECIEVE IT.

10. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    My 1980 400i was imported from Germany in 1986, but it has the original metric speedo.

Koisokok, congratulations and welcome to 400 ownership!