Need help planning trip to Aspen | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Need help planning trip to Aspen

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain' started by mambodave, Nov 18, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    We've had people skiing with shorts on here. Better get home and get warm, ;)

2. ferraripanoz

ferraripanoz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 24, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Hey Phil, I saw in the Aspen Times yesterday that gas at the Shell Station in Aspen is up to $4.10 for unleaded and the police is trying out some hybrids. Looks like you better just ski around town for now before the greenies pull over the 360:)

3. Ristretto

Ristretto Karting

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I am reviving this thread because I am heading to Aspen at the end of June. Taking the 458 on a 5 day road trip. I am doing a loop from Ft Collins to Steamboat to Aspen, back to Steamboat then home. For those in the know do the recommendations set forth in this thread still hold true. I will be staying in Aspen for 2 nights. I am considering either at The Little Nell or the St. Regis. Is Little Nell still the preferred hotel? Also any recommendations on a good fly fishing outfitter would be appreciated.

Thanks,

RPM

4. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    #79 PhilNotHill, May 19, 2013
    Last edited: May 19, 2013
    Nell just remodeled and is very nice. Also, our favorite restaurant is Element 47 (silver).

Can't help you with the fly fishing. Lots of good guides in Aspen and Basalt. Best fishing is on the Frying Pan. All catch and release...the water flow is controlled so the fishing is ususally pretty good.

Hope I can see your 458 when you come to town.

Phil

We will be in Denver June 29-30 for the FCA Picnic.

5. Falcon Wing

Falcon Wing Formula 3

Aug 4, 2010
    Colorado Springs
    Take "Trail Ridge" from Ft Collins to Steamboat!!

6. Ristretto

Ristretto Karting

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Phil,

Thanks for the info. I will be in Aspen June 25 and 26. Have booked a room at The Little Nell. I will PM you with a phone number if you want to get together and part take in some mutual admiration of our respective Italias.

Falcon,

Good idea. I usually just go up the Poudre Canyon/Cameron Pass way. Trail Ridge would add some variety to the trip. Just wondering though whether the speed limits and a butt load of RV's in the park would put a damper on the fun factor. Any experience there?

7. Falcon Wing

Falcon Wing Formula 3

Aug 4, 2010
    Colorado Springs
    I have been over it loads of times, but just once over and back in the F car (usually on motorcycle), one of my favorite roads in Colorado. My brother drives it weekly in his Lotus.

Hit it early and the morning and you will avoid a good bit of traffic. Thompson Canyon is a good warm up!

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/348-355/370639-weekend-my-348-my-brothers-lotus-trail-ridge-12-183-elevation.html

8. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    #83 PhilNotHill, May 21, 2013
    Last edited: May 21, 2013
    If you want some nice driving day trips Black Cyn of the Gunnison going the back way Hwy 92 is a great drive, little traffic and spectacular views. Pretty much all day especilly if you see the natl park.

Gateway Cyn Resort is a fun drive with fantastic views of huge red mesas. the last 45 miles is twisty without much traffic. They have an American car museum if interested. There is a gas station in town but you may need directions to find it. An all day trip for sure.

Marble takes about a half day. can do breakfast and/or lunch along the way. Takes about 3 hours without lunch/breakfast.

Colorado Monument is a little past Grand Junction. Great scenery. An all day trip.

Aschcroft was newly paved last year and the road is great. It is a dead end road so no vehicle traffic to speak of. but bicycles are rampant and a very early start may get you out ahead of the hoards. they sometimes ride 3 abreast and make it a challenge. Takes about an hour round trip from Aspen.

Frying Pan road to and past Reudi Reservoir. Also a dead end road. Unless you go early lots of bikes to the reservoir but the 20 miles after that is almost bike free. A 3 hour trip.

Of course you should take Independence Pass either coming and/or going. Lots of bikers on the Aspen side. Very few bides on the Twin Lakes side.

Are you sure you don't want to spend more time? These are really great drives. :cool:

9. Ristretto

Ristretto Karting

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Since I will be leaving early on a Monday, this sounds like the prefect start to my road trip. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

WOW!! So many roads and so little time. Since I am not tied to any schedule an extra day (or two) may be in order. We shall see.

Thanks for all the information. Really appreciate it. You guys are what make this forum a fun and interesting place to hang out.

10. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Indy Pass will open this Friday at 2pm.

Aspen mountain will be open for skiing Sat+ Sun+ Mon (Memorial Day). Gotta love that.

11. High_Colorado

High_Colorado Rookie

Apr 2, 2012
    N. Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott

Definately not a racetrack....but still awesome. CHECK ROAD CONDITIONS: (Trail Ridge Road/ Automated info line) 1-970-586-1222 [1] IF it is still icy it will not open until the sun has warmed it up and the ice has melted or sublimated.

cheers.

(TRR, Hidden Valley in background: )

[​IMG]

12. Ristretto

Ristretto Karting

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    Robert
    ^ Thanks for the information. And, nice Lotus! Hope to see it around town sometime.

Cheers!

13. mr2speedracer

mr2speedracer Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    Nate
    #88 mr2speedracer, May 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017