Need help planning trip to Aspen | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Need help planning trip to Aspen

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain' started by mambodave, Nov 18, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    After skiing today (Monday) I started up the F360 F1 Spider. Haven't had it running since the first of October. It fired right up and ran perfectly. It was 16F so I did not put the top down. The streets were pretty dry. Some patches of water from snow melt but the traction control never had to kick in. Got some interesting looks from those setting up the massive equipment for the X-Games.

Life is good. May the horse be with you. ;)

2. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    The X-Games are over and we got a foot of powder today and it's still snowing. ;)

Life is good.

May the horse be with you.

3. cayenne_ksa

cayenne_ksa Karting

Feb 7, 2007
    denver, SAUDI
    I might be there next week

4. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    It's Official. It's a record beating 83-84.

We got 7" of new powpow last night.

Life is good. ;)

5. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I can't imagine how much snow you guys must have. Even over here on the dry side, we blew away Decmebr's record and January had exactly twice normal. Arkansas basin snowpack now 165%. It was also the second coldest January on record (where's the Goracle?). Our favorite Porsche girl Adele showed pics of Crested Butte on the news last night. Amazing. How 'bout posting some Aspen pics?

Dave

6. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    What's with the Porshe reference? I've only seen her around a 360!

The front range (everywhere west of the divide?) is going to get hit pretty hard Sunday night.

-F

7. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa

She has a Porsche and her husband has an Fcar. They come to the FCA events. ;)

8. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    5" more of new powpow last night. Life is good! ;)

9. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    9" of new powpow last night and it is still snowing. Should have around a foot by the time it quits.

Life is very good. ;)

10. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Not bad here in Vail, either.

CW

11. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    We got 11" of new powpow yesterday and last night.

Channel 9 in Denver showed a picture of Aspen with a stop sign barely visible and said so far we have had 21 feet (252 inches) which is a record. It's sunny right now and the slopes are calling. Another storm is coming before the weekend. ;)

Life is very very good.

12. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    If you don't have a sense oF humor, don't read thIs.

TOP 10 REASONS BETTER TO LIVE IN ASPEN THAN VAIL

10. Aspen has more women and they are better looking too.
    9. You don't have to listen to the trucks on I70 or anywhere else for that matter.
    8. Gore Creek is in Vail. What's next, Hillary Clinton Creek?
    7. Crista and Ryan live in Vail.
    6. Lift tickets are cheaper in Aspen. And no lift lines.
    5. Lodging and real estate is more expensive in Aspen to keep the deadbeats out.
    4. No hordes of people from Denver every weekend like in Vail.
    3. The John Denver Festival every October.
    2. Woody Creek Racetrack and more Ferraris in Aspen.

And the number one reason Aspen is a better place to live than Vail...

VAIL is a four letter word. ;)

13. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Ha!

We'll I'll see for myself soon, I've been several times to Vail... it's beautiful there, but in early March, I'm going for my first time to Aspen. :)

14. msgsobe

msgsobe Formula 3

Aug 10, 2006
    Miami Beach/Aspen
    Full Name:
    Mark Gold
    Hey Phil,
    things here in florida have kept me from coming, but we'll be there soon!!!

15. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    My friend from Vail tells me its Trista (The Bachelorette) so I stand corrected.

Perhaps it should be Bill and Hillary Clinton Creek LOL. ;)

16. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Phil,

I can take it!

However, Vail has had 276 inches to date. I'd hate to be driving a plow for the Town of Vail.

CW

17. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    According to Ch 17 in Vail this morning, 289 ytd.

CW

18. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Got another 11" of new powpow yesterday and last night.

The slopes are definitely calling this bluebird sunny day.

Life is good. ;)

19. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Just got down. Blue sky day. Fresh 8-10". Putting the sticks away for the weekend. Too many terroristas coming out! Saw quite a few close calls between reckless boarders and stationary skiers.

CW

20. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I'm thinking of going to Snowmass 1st week of March, looking for a ski in/ski out hotel

Silvertree hotel seems to be the best place, is this true ?

Is there any nightlife in Snowmass or is it all in Aspen ?

Just got back from Tahoe, had a perfect day at Northstar, their new village is very nice, the nicest at Tahoe by far

21. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Snowmass is more family oriented. Aspen is more night life oriented.

The Silvertree is a great location. Ski-in, ski out. Never stayed there so don't know about the accomodations.

The Cirque Bar & Grill has entertainment. I suggest you call the Concierge at the Silvertree before booking and see what all the options are. They may also have a free shuttle to Aspen. I understand the cab ride is $40 each way. Yikes.

Best restaurant is Krabloonik. You will need reservations way in advance. If you are not renting a car, discuss with the Concirge how you are going to get there (cab?) as it is about a mile or so from the Silvertree.

This may help. http://www.snowmassvillage.com/snowmass-sun

The nice thing about staying IN ASPEN is that you can take the free shuttle to ski at Snowmass or Highlands or Buttermilk and are in town for the night life. Little Nell is ski-in and ski out and is the nicest and also the most expensive. The St. Regis will shuttle you the 3 blocks to the Gondola or you can catch the buses to Snowmass, Buttermilk and Highlands one block away.

Good luck and may the horse be with you! ;)

22. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    9" of new powpow last night and it's still snowing.

Life is good. ;)

23. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Vail fights back to save trees

Vail Resorts to try injecting healthy trees to stave off beetle infestation

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Get News Feeds
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Associated Press
    Aspen, CO Colorado
    March 2, 2008

Comments (0) Print Email

VAIL, Colo. — Vail Resorts isn’t going to stand by and watch beetles devastate trees on their trails or just cut them down.

The company has hired Arborjet of Massachusetts to inject a repellent, emamectin benzoate, into the trunks of healthy lodgepoles to try to kill the rice-sized beetles, the Rocky Mountain News reports.

It will cost $20 to treat each tree, and they will require several treatments over the years. The Environmental Protection Agency has to approve the plan because of the known toxicity of the chemical.

The repellent, manufactured in Switzerland, already is being widely used in California. Vail will use it at Vail, Beaver Creek, Breckenridge and Keystone. The company says it recognizes that trees not only have their aesthetic value — highly valued by guests — but also provide necessary windbreaks and visual definition during whiteouts.

Arborjet has an exclusive deal with the Swiss agricultural pharmaceutical firm Syngenta to distribute an internally administered repellent call emamectin benzoate.

“First of all, you cannot save the forest, but what you can do is you save individual trees and microcosm forests around homes, and you can save the basic blueprint of a ski area — clusters of trees that continue to add character to the resort,” said Arborjet CEO Peter Wild.

Last year Rocky Mountain National Park lost 500,000 of the distinctive, skinny trees and the total since the mid-to-late 1990s is 1.5 million.

Other methods, including spraying and thinning, haven’t stopped the infestation, which has now spread across the Continental Divide to the east.

“It’s a very sensitive issue because (ski areas) lease land from the feds, and it’s a very unique relationship that they have,” Wild said. “It’s going to be interesting to see how many trees on federal or state land end up being treated as compared to private lands.”

Ken Kowynia, winter sports program manager for the Rocky Mountain Region of the U.S. Forest Service, said it’s too late for spraying or injecting trees to save the forests. He said planners need to focus on the next generation.

Syngenta, the manufacturer, says in a fact sheet that it is only mildly toxic if ingested by humans. But it can be “very toxic to aquatic organisms. Toxic to bees. May cause long-term effects in the environment.”

24. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Pine Beetles are a serious problem. Also, all other trees at this elevation now have parasites. It is thought that within 5-10 years, much of the high country will be barren and without trees due to these infestations. From what I understand, the process can be slowed down, but the trees cannot be saved. I'm sure that the more money that is thrown at the problem, the better the results will be, but I gather it's a losing battle.

CW

25. Matt308

Matt308 Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2004
    CO
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Hey Phil! Tucker and I are in Houston for a while, and I almost forgot about all the snow we left behind. Just the other day, it got so cold here I thought about wearing jeans instead of shorts. Heh heh heh...

Hope your winter is going well, ski a run for me will ya!