Need help picking a DD | FerrariChat

Need help picking a DD

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by indaville, Oct 16, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. indaville

indaville Formula 3

Oct 6, 2005
    Louisville, KY
    Yesterday I sold my most recent daily driver which was a 2009 Porsche Carrera S. Now my search for a replacement continues. I am planning on spending no more than $200k, I want either a new car or a slightly used car (less then 15k miles). I don't want to throw money away but depreciation is not a major concern. I prefer a manual, but if I went with something that has more luxury then I could deal with having an automatic. I consider myself more of a sports car guy vs. luxury car, but I already have a couple of toys to fill my need for spirited driving! I like things that are rare and exclusive, so I am wanting something with lower production numbers than my 911 had. I prefer coupes to convertibles. I am not that concerned with the typical issues of bad weather or when I have to drive into a bad part of town (I can't even remember the last time I drove into the bad part of town) because I have a Ford truck that I can drive when needed.

So here is my list so far with some pros and cons of each. Please let me know if I am missing anything and any experience you have using these cars as DD's.

1) Lamborghini Gallardo LP560 - Hard to find a manual, dealer is 3 hours away, fun to drive

2) Maserati Gran Turismo S - No manual, dealer is 1 1/2 hours away, great sound, alittle slow

3) Mercedes-Benz SLS - No manual, great dealer in town, rare

4) Aston Martin Vantage/DBS/DB9 - Plenty of manuals, dealer is 3 hours away, I have had two british cars before and have not had much luck with reliability

5) Bentley Continental GT - No manual, lots of luxury, dealer is 2 hours away, lots of them in town, not sure about reliability

6) Porsche 991 S - Does not come out until March, just had one, there will be a ton of them in town, great dealer in town

Thanks for any help! Matt

2. philt68

philt68 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2008
    new york city
    i had a db9, traded it in for a vantage, which i LOVED..was totally reliable, not many around, plus you can get one with 10-15k on the clock for 80k or less...

3. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    #3 Tifoso1, Oct 16, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
    IMO, Audi R8-V10 or the R8-GT is a great DD.

4. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    #4 Ferrarista3, Oct 16, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
    Amongst the options listed, as a DD, I'd take the SLS AMG.

Have you considered a 599?

5. indaville

indaville Formula 3

Oct 6, 2005
    Louisville, KY

The Audi is a great car, but I have never been happy with the way it looks. A 599 would be fun.

Matt

6. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    of your list, I'd go with a DBS or a GranTurismo, as they are the most "normal car like" (ground clearance, space, trunk, not excessively flashy, etc).

but, a 599 or even a Cali is worth a look.

7. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    Ford GT!!

Not sure how reliable it will be as a DD? May want to ask Jeremy Clarkson! Manual only & dealers all over the US :D

8. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    +40

9. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    Yes

10. azcarguy

azcarguy Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2003
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Marc
    As a prior owner with 12K miles on my GT, it's easy enough to DD but it's the parking that gets ya. You need more clearance than the average parking space will allow in order to open the door all the way, which is necessary in order to exit the vehicle if you're over 5'7" tall.

11. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    #12 UroTrash, Oct 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

I am genuinely, honestly happy for anyone who "limits the spending on their DD to <$200K".

I'm glad somebody is doing something to get this ecomnomy rolling again! Good show!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. yoda

yoda F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2004
    UT
  13. agup48

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    Good choice, such as stunning car!

Are you in PHX or another part of AZ? Which FGT is yours? There are actually quite a few in AZ.

14. indaville

indaville Formula 3

Oct 6, 2005
    Louisville, KY
    In doing my research seems like the SLS might be the best option. Does anyone know how reliable they have been. I know a few people that have had issues with AMG cars.

Matt

15. azcarguy

azcarguy Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2003
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Marc
    My car is now in CA, I replaced it with a 6.0 Diablo. I live in Tucson.

16. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    A friend has already put +/- 40K miles miles on his SLS with 0 issues.

The car looks gorgeous, sounds fantastic and is a joy to drive. The SLS is a very special piece of machinery IMO.

17. 599_GTB

599_GTB Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2006
    Full Name:
    Josef
    I would go for the SLS, if you can drive car like this daily why not? but for a daily I would take a Porsche Panamera TurboS, a little more spce... 4 seats and it has not the baddest performence...

18. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    I'd take the new CLS63 TT over a Panamera Turbo.

Looks better.
    It's smaller.
    It's more entertaining to drive.
    ...and it sounds MUCH better.

I have driven both and (IMVHO) the CLS felt much more special.
    ...but then again, I do have a soft spot for AMGs...

19. indaville

indaville Formula 3

Oct 6, 2005
    Louisville, KY

I really like the way the Panamera drives but I can't stand the way it looks. Plus we already have two other Porsche's so I want something different.

Matt

20. AlfaR

AlfaR Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Eric Paxson
    #22 AlfaR, Oct 21, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
    GranTurismo would be my choice out of your initial list.

I would have an SLS right now if they put the right engine in it but they did not. A SL600 or SL65 would be a much more fun daily driver. I have had a couple of cars now with the 6.2 V8 and it isn't a bad engine but it is not exciting.

The L560-4 is a good car but the R8 is better made and has much better visibility.

I have had three modern Astons now and I could never live with one as my main daily driver. They are too loud too much of the time.

The Continental is not a drivers car at all (have not driven the all new one though).

21. agup48

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    Not sure if you are talking about the SL65 AMG Black Series, but have you looked into those?

I do believe they are still above $200,000 though, although you are not the OP, not sure the price limit is in place.

22. AlfaR

AlfaR Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Eric Paxson
    No I am not talking about the SL65 Black Series. I am talking about the regular folding roof SL600 and SL65 AMG.

23. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Have you considered a CLK black series? Great livability and amazing fun to drive. No manual, but the engine is so fun you won't miss it.