Need help learning about diesel G wagons! | FerrariChat

Need help learning about diesel G wagons!

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by RennSport93, Aug 8, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RennSport93

RennSport93 Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Joe Bellisario
    Hello guys & girls,

I'm sad to report that my 95' Jeep XJ 5spd is on its last legs and that it is time to consider a replacement. I know people here have TI lug nuts on their cars that cost more than it but I absolutely loved its raw simplicity and am very sad to see it be retired. I want to replace it with an old diesel Gwagon,or maybe something similar(Landcruiser,Def 90...) that would look awesome parked with the 360 and M3. The problem is: I know very little about diesels Or G wagons.

I seem to want a 2 door military version with the roll cage,like this
    https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/mercedes-benz/gelandewagen/2141799.html

My questions are:
    1. What is the best factory motor to have in one of these?

2.Are all the manual boxes the same? What's the best one for a primarily street driven G?

3.Will it be half as reliable as my Xj?

I'm having a really hard time finding good information on these so any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

2. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Looking for something shorter that a 95 foot Jeep???? Funny :)

3. RennSport93

RennSport93 Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Joe Bellisario
    Haha! 1995*

4. AUDIO RESEARCH

AUDIO RESEARCH Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2009
    PHILIPPINES
    Full Name:
    LUIGI RAYMUND LIRA
    Buy a G350 turbodiesel model . It’s smooth , pulls like a 6 cylinder gasoline engine . Drawback of the GWagen in general . Parts are expensive . Engine the same as the ordinary mercedes sedans , but suspension , brakes , trims , interior parts are G Wagen exclusive . We had 3 GWagens in the past 2 W460 ( 230GE & 300GD ) and 2 W463 ( 300GE & 350GD ) . Manuals are very tiring to drive , go for the automatic. Go for the W463 if you will drive it primarily in the streets & hi way . But all the sample we had owned were the LWB 5 Door , civilian model. The GWagen is reliable but parts are expensive .

5. Hocakes

Hocakes Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2010
    FL
    There is a Club G-Wagen forum. From what I have read, window regulators are a common problem.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using FerrariChat.com mobile app