Need Help Identifying Old Bugatti | FerrariChat

Need Help Identifying Old Bugatti

Discussion in 'Bugatti' started by a7xbass941, Apr 7, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. a7xbass941

a7xbass941 Karting

Jun 15, 2011
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    #1 a7xbass941, Apr 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Today, I found this old Bugatti on the road. After a ton of research, I decided that it is a late 1920s Type 35C Racer. If it is real, it is worth up to 2 million dollars. I didn't get phenomenal shots of it because I was so flustered, but I hope they will help.

I would like to know if it is indeed a Type 35C, and also if you believe it is a genuine vehicle. It certainly sounded the part.

This was spotted in St. Louis, Missouri.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. billnoon

billnoon Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 22, 2003
    La Jolla, California
    Full Name:
    Bill Noon
    Left hand drive? Does it have an automatic transmission... I can not see a gear lever or hand brake... Of course they should be on the right which means a riding mechanic would be needed for this one for sure to actuate both while the driver steered from the left.

Did it by chance have an engine in the rear?

Best guess from the two photos suggests its not the real deal.

Ciao,

Bill

3. billnoon

billnoon Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 22, 2003
    La Jolla, California
    Full Name:
    Bill Noon
    I see the photo is from a mirror so the car is actually a correct right drive but still no gear or brake lever leaving me to believe you change gears with your left hand meaning an auto box or incorrect central shift of some type... so likely still not a real period car.

Cheers,

Bill

4. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Suspension and other bits make me think it's a kit car from the 1970s that used a VW donor.

5. a7xbass941

a7xbass941 Karting

Jun 15, 2011
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Thanks a lot for the replies! I am leaning more towards kit myself since I can't find any pictures of them with silver hoods. This is depressing..oh well haha. I will wait for a few more replies until I write this off.

6. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller
    #6 JasonMiller, Apr 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Actually it looks as if he is changing gears with his right hand (see right hand in the mirror image) unless that is the brake.

I am not suggesting its real but the front end does not appear to be a VW torsion bar front end.

This one is a VW front end,

7. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    I can't make out too much detail on the front end, but it looks like the driver is with his hand on a lever, tyres are period-correct looking (but it appears to have wire-wheels), bonnet appears aluminium, but weren't there way more louvres?
    Now if one could only see the beam front axle. Convex headlight glass?
    Radiator looks in-correct, but it's been ages since I looked at one of these.

8. a7xbass941

a7xbass941 Karting

Jun 15, 2011
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    The little slits on the back end look larger than what I have seen in prior photos...I think I am leaning much more towards this being a replica. Upsetting..

9. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    Tyres look incorrect to me as well.

10. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Look again. The OP picture has a chrome plated steering rack, which is partially hidden in your picture under the red box. But the steering is identical and not Bugatti.

Any Type 35 Bugatti has a front axle that passes through the frame in a very unusual and distinctive way, and the frame horns on the blue car look wrong for this.

11. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    The basic proportions don't look right to me - the body is sitting up too tall, for instance, and the radiator grille shell is too fat.

12. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    I'm not an expert on Bugatti's, but I think a Type 35 should have the steering linkage on the outside of the body, with a vertical drop arm just below the lower edge of the engine cover on the drivers side, connected to a horizontal linkage arm running forward. I don't see the drop arm or the linkage arm in the pictures.

13. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    It's called a pitman arm, and was used with just about any car with a steering box.

The blue car doesn't have one because it has a chrome rack and pinion steering instead of a steering box.

Because it's not a Bugatti.

14. a7xbass941

a7xbass941 Karting

Jun 15, 2011
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Thanks for all the info guys. I have written it off as a replica...depressing, but kind of what I figured already. I appreciate your time!

15. Onebugatti

Onebugatti Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2008
    Centre Europe
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Geez - what are you guys doing on this thread ! Is that magum PI you see in the mirror?

Oh, I forgot VW does make Bugattis .....

16. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller

????

17. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
  18. dbw

dbw Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2005
    palo alto ca
    Full Name:
    dave
    it looks a lot like a "teal" bug kit made in the uk.....you can check out their website...or perhaps a homegrown item made by someone a bit more sensitive to the gp look than a vw based thing....