Need Good Race Stories | FerrariChat

Need Good Race Stories

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Cargirl_, Jun 16, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cargirl_

Cargirl_ Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 31, 2008
    Media PA
    Full Name:
    Kelly
    I am a Docent at the Simeone Museum and tomorrow I have a tour requested by an 11 year old car enthusiast who had the pick of what he wanted to do to celebrate his birthday and he picked the Simeone Museum. Wise kid.

Competition is the museum's theme. And in keeping with that we talk about endurance racing, Brooklands, Watkins Glen, Bonneville Salt Flats the Mille Miglia, Targa Florio. Sebring. And especially Le Mans.

I have the cars down pat. What I would love to have are some good racing stories.. I wish I could remember the one Sir Sterling Moss told at the Labor Day Lime Rock dinner this past September about racing at Sebring in a Jaguar and every time he came around a lap they put the barriers closer and closer to his car - yet he kept zooming through them. Never touching the sides. At least that is what I took away from it. I think they were angry at him for some infraction they thought he caused on the track. Anyone know this story?

Of course I have the LeMans tragedy of 1955 covered. And Portago at the Mille Miglia. That should get the idea across of how dangerous this sport is. And then I'll tell him about Portago's flings (just kidding, he's a kid).

Anyone have any good antidotes or sites you might recommend?

Also on Father's day dad gets in Free with one other adult ticket to the museum. We are right near the Philly airport.
    Home | Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum

2. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    The 1967 Indy 500 STP Turbine car story comes to mind for the excitement factor. Almost won except for a failed $6 bearing with 3 laps to go.

3. Cargirl_

Cargirl_ Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 31, 2008
    Media PA
    Full Name:
    Kelly
    Oh thanks. I'll have to look that one up.

4. Cargirl_

Cargirl_ Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 31, 2008
    Media PA
    Full Name:
    Kelly
    I found this website with a great write-up on the event.

1967 Indy 500 Retrospective

Also found these facts on the site which were very cool and I can certainly use them:

Foyt's win would be his 3rd, and he would join the likes of Louis Meyer, Wilbur Shaw and Mauri Rose as 3-time winners of the event. And, like Shaw, Meyer and Ray Harroun, he had won the race in a **car he'd built himself. ***His victory would also be the first win for the Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company since 1919, breaking a 43 year streak of Firestone wins.

And the best part:
    Jones would also have a jacket made that had INDIANAPOLIS 490 CHAMPION written on the back. Foyt would rib him about that incessantly.

Thanks for the good story.

5. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    #5 toggie, Jun 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
    Danny Sullivan's famous "Spin and Win" at the 1985 Indy 500 was a good one.

Here is the video of the spin and his amazing high-speed save.
    And then, going on to win.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7tuBeLL0wg[/ame]

Here is how the spin is described in text form:

Danny Sullivan spin

Shortly after the halfway point, Danny Sullivan got a radio call from his crew, but he misunderstood the message. He thought they said there were only 12 laps to go. In reality, there were still over 80 laps remaining. Sullivan quickly turned up the turbocharger boost, and started closing in on Andretti for the lead. On lap 120, Sullivan pulled to the inside down the frontstretch, and took the lead going into turn one. Andretti held his ground, forcing Sullivan to make the pass down below the yellow line in the somewhat rough and flat apron. Suddenly, the car slipped as Sullivan came off the apron, and the back end snapped loose. Sullivan did a complete counterclockwise 360° spin directly in front of Andretti in the south shortchute. Andretti pinched his car down to the inside, and slipped by unscathed. Sullivan spun completely around, did not hit anything, and the engine stalled for an instant. When the tire smoked cleared, Sullivan noticed he was pointing in the correct direction, and he proceeded to put the car in gear, the engine caught, and he drove away to resume the race.

The spin was immediately considered one of the most electrifying moments in Indy history. Sullivan considered it 50/50 skill and "dumb luck" that he emerged from the spin unscathed. The yellow flag immediately came out, and both Sullivan and Andretti made pit stops for tires and fuel. Moments later, both cars were back out on the track. Andretti's maneuver to remarkably avoid the incident was also lauded. Andretti's split-second decision to veer to the inside (the more difficult move, pinching his own car down) was a result of his experience from an very similar incident two years earlier. In the 1983 race, Andretti was faced with a nearly identical situation when Johnny Parsons spun in front of him going into turn one. Andretti was forced to try to avoid Parson's car to the outside, the two cars collided, and Andretti crashed hard into the concrete wall.

6. Cargirl_

Cargirl_ Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 31, 2008
    Media PA
    Full Name:
    Kelly
    That is awesome. I actually have done that twice in my life. I drive a rear wheel drive Benz. On black ice coming over a hill and in an industrial section of Philly when I hit oil on a warm day with a slight drizzle. So exhilarating. Even at 40 miles an hour. Let me clarify that - so exhilarating once you realize your not going to hit anything...

7. Cargirl_

Cargirl_ Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 31, 2008
    Media PA
    Full Name:
    Kelly
    What exactly made Sullivan spin? I've watched it six times. It's crazy. He shakes and then spins.

8. Cargirl_

Cargirl_ Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 31, 2008
    Media PA
    Full Name:
    Kelly
  9. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    In 1980 Alan Jones (Williams) had a great car with an obvious downforce advantage. However, what was not always known was how fast it would burn through fuel and brakes (no pit stops back then).

A new circuit for the car was Montreal, naturally local hero Gilles Villeneuve was keen to win the race (today it is named after him).

First time the Williams was ran with full fuel was in warm-up for 30 minutes. Measure the brake wear, measure the fuel consumption when Jones was at typical race pace.

Uh-oh. At race pace the brakes would not last race distance and the fuel would run out as well.

Jones' race engineer Frank Dernie devised a plan to preserve the car: Let Villeneuve go, just try to stay close. Preserve the car, the tires, the brakes, short-shift to save fuel. It was still the best car and doing these things a good portion of the race, they might make it to the end. At some point Dernie would give the "PUMP" pit signal, one of the few signals that might not tip off anyone to their strategy.

For more than half the race Jones drove the car gingerly, trying to keep Villeneuve in sight. Finally he got the PUMP sign and went from 80% to 100%. He passed Villeneuve, but perhaps GV also had something in reserve as he immediately fought back. For the rest of the race they battled, both at near qualifying pace now that they had preserved their cars for a sprint at the last quarter of the race.

Eventually Jones won, barely finishing on fuel. It was a remarkable show of restraint and keeping your cards close for both drivers.

10. Cargirl_

Cargirl_ Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 31, 2008
    Media PA
    Full Name:
    Kelly
    Well I'd like to say I knocked it out of the ball park with this 11 year old but the kid was smart. And he knew his stuff. Adrien from Annapolis. Our next Enzo Ferrari.

I'd get all ready to tell a story and he would chime in and finish it for me. We spent two hours noshing on cars and he held his own the whole way. You don't see that everyday.

Keep the stories coming if you will. Next week I have a group of 25 tech guys I need to wow. Plus I love being directed to the stories. It never gets old.

11. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    BTW, despite my dad have almost zero interest in Indy or motor racing in general, I always watched Indianapolis in the afternoon and would get up early to watch Monaco (one of the few F1 races live on broadcast TV) usually on that same Sunday morning. Started that when I was about 10.

1985 I would have been 12, and I vividly remember watching Sullivan's spin live on TV. It was an awesome moment and despite usually rooting for Mario, after that I had hoped Sullivan would win the race.

12. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Here are two more.

1996 Spanish GP. Schumacher had switched to Ferrari and they had been in the weeds competitively for a few years.

It was pissing down rain, the new rainmaster (after Senna's death) showed everyone what he was capable of in a mediocre car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc787HaONwE

And likewise in 2008 the new wonder kid wins one in a Toro Rosso. A freakin' Minardi! The traditional backmarker of the grid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h_avMzSHew