Need for Speed - Shift | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Need for Speed - Shift

Discussion in 'Technology' started by tifosi12, Sep 23, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I like NFS shif... I use a controller so its taking some time to get used to the configuration... but over all its pretty fun. I would not say its in the GT5 Prolouge level... not much is... but its fun.

The Veyron is really difficult to drive at the Nurburgring, but the McLaren is really fun at Brans Hatch.... So far I have a GT3 Porsche, and BMW M3 totally kitted out... had a Lotus Exige, but just did not have the power.

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I had a hard time controlling the Pagani.

Also took the M3 to its max level at which point it was superb. Not the fastest car, but very predictable and precise.

Also got a Murcie tricked out to the max. Easy to control.

3. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    Guys i am playing this game a lot at the moment so if you want to add me to you're friends list maybe we can get together for a few races?

My PSN ID is - SteveO1965.

4. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Rather than purchasing a XBOX 360 last night just for Forza 3 I went ahead & bought Shift for my PS3. So far I'm enjoying it & should have picked this up sooner.

5. TCT

TCT Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2004
    USA
    #55 TCT, Dec 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My 2 cents...

Need for speed games, Forza games, etc. for the xbox / PS3 etc. are horrible and best left to the kiddies.

GTR 2 for the PC > any other racing game to date.

Force feedback.

IR tracker that changes the screen view with your head movement. (turn your head to look out the side of the car)

Real Motec interaction / tuning using the same software real cars use.

epic race tracks

real world physics

Plus it has a large mod following so you can upgrade the game in endless ways.

http://www.nogripracing.com/

and it still looks great...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    I just got NFS Shift and it's pretty enjoyable at this point. To me at least, it doesn't seem like it's meant to be taken as seriously as the GT series or some of the other sim like games even though it can get just as technical at times. I like that you can rough opponents up and not get a penalty like in GT5 prologue. I have a logitech G25 and a Bob Earl VRC and it's great so far. Andreas, I dunno what the problem with your G25 could have been but it must have been a defective wheel. Mine works just fine after I got used to it.

7. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Thanks for that comment. Glad to hear that.

I loved NFS-Shift after I got settled with its interface. I finished it recently. Currently playing DIRT2, which is equally fun. Here the other drivers "talk back at you" when you rough them a bit too hard. :)

DIRT2 doesn't have any great cars (mostly Japanese rally cars), but the scenery, physics and visuals are fantastic. Great fun to tie me over till GT5 comes out.

8. 2003Enzo

2003Enzo Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    I love NFS:Shift so far. It's enough of a simulator to keep the feeling of racing alive but it doesn't take itself too seriously. A great addition to the NFS series I think.

9. Lemke

Lemke F1 Rookie

Oct 27, 2004
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    I tried the demo and it didn't do anything for me. I'm biding my time with Forza 3 until GT5 comes out this summer.

10. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    Andreas, did you get all the stars in the Veyron at Nurburgring race? If you did, you are one hell of a driver cause I tried it last night and I sucked royally.

11. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Honestly I don't know. Probably not. Never counted the stars thing. I know I went through all the races and won most of them. Also I remember I did well at the Ring, but my weapon of choice was a souped up Pagani.

I didn't do any of the drift challenges, to me that's just not racing but figure skating or some other BS.

Also I didn't win some of the one on one competitions.

Overall I'd say I'm a decent racer, but I'm sure there are many 12 year old kids who could beat me. :)

12. ferraridude615

ferraridude615 F1 Veteran

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    Not with an actual wheel. Maybe with the PS3/Xbox controller, but the wheel is a whole different level of skill.

13. ferraridude615

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    Anyone here play this on computer? I really like GTR Evolution and cannot wait till F1 2010 comes out.

14. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Are you saying the wheel is harder than the controller?

I could never ever play any of these with a controller.

15. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    I tried the Veyron race cause it was 40k for first place and I needed the money to upgrade the Elise. First I gotta say, I'm not too great at the Ring, I don't really care for the track so I never bothered to learn it. Everytime I drive it, it's like a rally cause I only remember a few corners here and there. That and the Veyron was a pain to drive. It actually might have been my worst finish in the game so far. I haven't done any drift events either for the same reason you haven't. I'm sure I will at some point though.

Just as a side note, I bought a Corvette Z06 in the game like the one I own and dammit if it didn't handle similar to the real thing...:)

16. ferraridude615

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    I think there is a pretty sizable learning curve with the wheel compared to the controller. Most kids could pick up the controller and do decent, the wheel is in another league. Kids these days are used to games where cars bounce off walls and brakes aren't necessary, they would be slaughtered in an actual simulation and keeping wondering why the wheel is shaking :D

You could be really cool and just play with a keyboard, I did that for a while, wasn't have bad either.

17. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    I played the game about 2 hours last week on my brother's Xbox. Frankly it's a giant leap compared to the nonsense NFS Undercover.

However, i'm not an Xbox person, and after a while all the 'assists' just got annoying, and i didn't know how to turn it off. Also, i've been a PS guy since PS2, so with Xbox, the controls are slighly different. But i still beat my brother in terms of laptimes at all the circuits i raced on :D

I'll probably have another go at it over the weekend. Btws, how do u save your progress? The last time i played, i tried to find the save button or something, but couldn't, ended just shutting the whole thing down without saving.

18. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    I actually had a Need For Speed Cd, back in 1997. It was for PC, and i had no idea what Need For Speed it was actually called. All i know, it had a bunch of track, city tracks, deser tracks, and a lineup of exotic cars i still remember. Lambo Diablo, Ferrari 512TR, Honda NSX to name a few. IMO, that was the best NFS ever :D

As for Underground, i really liked Underground 1 & 2. The 1st Most Wanted was quite challenging as well. The rest, especially Undercover, was utter BS.

19. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #69 tifosi12, Dec 31, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
    I wasn't much of a fan of the Veyron in the game. I used a souped up Murcie for all wheel drive and the Pagani for raw speed. After a while I was sliding the Pagani like a gokart.

By now I know the Ring by heart. Learned it in GT4, kept at it in Forza and now NFS. The variations are small through the games, which shows you how far the developers have come. I'm planning on doing the real thing in a couple of years. While the elevation changes sure will be a shock, I feel at least confident to know what kind of turn is coming behind the next apex. And pretty much every time I go by Schwedenkreuz I think of the two FChatters we lost there IRL. :(

Wow. That is so bizarre. How can they have any car control and feeling for the car with those crappy controllers and no FFB? Beats me. To me playing these games with the natural interfaces of wheels and pedals is the only way to keep sane. In fact I seriously believe I'm honing my reflexes for our local gokart events by playing these games. Oops, I just let out a secret. Hopefully Carsleuth won't read this...

20. ferraridude615

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    I've had most NFS. I liked Hot Pursuit 2 for Gamecube and that was challenging. I had the earlier ones for PC. Underground 2 and Most Wanted were addicting. Undercover was the same story line as Most Wanted as which point I gave up on NFS.

21. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    I think they got the trashing of their lives, hence a whole diff NFS this time.

22. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    I also had Need for Speed: Porsche Unleased, I remember doing the driving tests which included slaloms and races, but my favorite part was being able to drop the top or put it up.

I just started watching youtube videos to get my fill. Graphics were horrendous :D

23. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I had about a million hours on NFS: High stakes (I had to google which one it was because I distinctly remember a 550 on the cover). My best mate had it on the Playstation (oh how I remember going nuts over the graphics!) and I played there with him every day. His dad bought the game for him because he had a 550 at the time. Guess which cars we drove 9/10 times:D.

The best one however, was Hot Pursuit 2. I loved playing with the F50 on that one. Also a 360 was great driving on that track based in south africa. Many many hours I played that game pretending it was the real stuff and just overtake the fictional AI cars.

:D

24. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I agree. I haven't played Forza 3 though, because when it came out my X360 was still broken and unfortunately where I live now its impossible to get any games.

I didn't really enjoy FM2, It was fun for a little while but I didn't find it realistic (I was avidly playing LFS at this point already...hence I found FM2 a bit ****).

I had both GTR and GTR2, both played with a wheel of course, and I found them both massively enjoyable. My favourite however is Rfactor, but mainly because I prefer open wheel racing and some F1 mods are great. I also enjoyed the formula nippon mods, and there's 1 particular Formula 3 mod out that was partially developed by a current F3 driver, who uses it to practice.

I'm getting a PS3 soon though, mainly for GT5 and perhaps F1 2009, to play about a bit with people on here. For the rest I've given up on console 'simulations'. The only reason I play on consoles is for the GTA series pretty much!

25. 2003Enzo

2003Enzo Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    Anyone see the press release?

NFS:Shift is getting a Ferrari pack. Unfortunately for us PS3 owners only the Xbox 360 is getting it.

You just know Ferrari were in on this since they seem to do a lot of these kinds of deals. Think Hot Wheels and diecast.

Screw EA, screw Microsoft and shame on Ferrari.

There, I feel better :D

http://bit.ly/9giZEu