Need for Speed - Shift | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Need for Speed - Shift

Discussion in 'Technology' started by tifosi12, Sep 23, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Carsleuth

Carsleuth F1 Rookie

Dec 22, 2006
    Chicago/NYC
    Full Name:
    Dan C.
    Hmmm, I'm starting to think I should give this game a second chance...

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #27 tifosi12, Oct 4, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2009
    It is growing on me by leaps and bounds:

- the annoying Australian cheerleader barely talks to me anymore :)
    - found all the really cool cars (Lambos, Pagani, Ford GT, Porsche GT, McLaren, Koenigsegg, Veyron to name a few)
    - handling is crazy when you have unbalanced upgrades, eg. turbo but not the adequate tranny etc, otherwise fairly normal, a tad on the dramatic, but not crazy arcade
    - tons and tons of races
    - some crappy tracks (remember the "snake tracks" on Forza?) but lots of great ones where you can let down your hair and just floor the throttle
    - sound is spectacular and you can turn off the annoying HUD graphics while racing with the push of a button (or bring them back if you need some special info)

At first I really hated the interface, but finally I got the hang of it (Flickr?) and now it feels a lot more like GT4 without the annoying driver tests.

Sometimes I finish a race and realize that I'm out of breath. That's how intense it can get. No kidding.

3. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    NFS needs to go back to their old roots of exotic cars out running the police.

I don't like how they tried to be like the fast and the furious and now they are trying to be like forza. That game series sucks now.

4. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Couldn't disagree more.

5. timjz

timjz Karting

Jan 23, 2006
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I rented it for a week, got to Drivers Level 20 & finished the NFS World Series with the McLaren F1 (which I think was far & away the best car in the game). After that I had no desire to keep playing. It's a fun game, looks really good & is a good time waster. Wouldn't buy it, though (NO F-CARS!). Waiting for Forza 3.

6. AlexO91

AlexO91 F1 Rookie

Sep 26, 2008
    NW England
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Finally played the demo last night, not really sure what to think of it to be honest. I didn't hate it but i thought the way the cars handle was weird.

7. Carsleuth

Carsleuth F1 Rookie

Dec 22, 2006
    Chicago/NYC
    Full Name:
    Dan C.
    I couldn't agree more. I wouldn't have said that prior to playing Shift, but they've shown that they really can't pull this tier of game off. My favorite NFS game is Need for Speed Most Wanted. Ever since they released that, their games have been terrible.

8. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    #33 agup48, Oct 9, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
    EW.

You are probably too young :)D) to remember the original NFS, NFSII, and Hot Pursuit. MW was garbage compared to those. I was addicted to the 2nd one, F50, McLaren F1. It all went downhill from Need for Speed Underground.

9. lambo472

lambo472 Formula 3

May 27, 2009
    Leawood, Kansas
    Full Name:
    Ricky
    I have Hot Pursuit 2, it sucks, IMO.

I like Most wanted the best, because of the Free Roam. You're not limited to tracks, you can just wander where you please. I also like the car choice in it. My only nag is that if you add just about any exterior mod to it, it'll immediately rice the car up.

10. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Couldn't disagree more.

If it is not a simulation, it is no fun to me.

11. Carsleuth

Carsleuth F1 Rookie

Dec 22, 2006
    Chicago/NYC
    Full Name:
    Dan C.

I used have Hot Pursuit 2, and I agree. It absolutely sucks. The game has a great selection of cars, but it's no Most Wanted.

Well, that's where we differ. :)

As much as I love racing simulators, a good police chase in a Carrera GT never gets old. :D

12. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    30 years might have something to do with that. :)

13. Carsleuth

Carsleuth F1 Rookie

Dec 22, 2006
    Chicago/NYC
    Full Name:
    Dan C.
    Don't get me wrong, I love simulators, but leave the racing simulators to the big boys. (Like Gran Turismo and Forza)

14. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Hmm, how can I politely break it to you: You don't have a simulator if you don't have FFB.

15. Carsleuth

Carsleuth F1 Rookie

Dec 22, 2006
    Chicago/NYC
    Full Name:
    Dan C.
    IMO, FFB is overrated. :D

I'm only kidding. I know I don't have a SERIOUS driving simulator, like you, but I'm perfectly happy with my 360 controller.

16. fiorano94

fiorano94 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2006
    MW/NW/SE
    GT5 won't hold a candle when it comes to realism compared to the GTR series games.

17. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #42 tifosi12, Oct 10, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
    True, but then again GTR is PC based. All the best sims (racing, planes) are PC based.

I gave up on PCs when each new version of a game/sim basically required either a new CPU/PC or a new graphics card or a serious software upgrade. And once it run all other old apps would no longer work. The hassle and costs drove me to the standardized platform of console games.

As for GTR itself: I had it and just like "Grand Prix Racing" it left me cold: I thought it was way more difficult to keep the car under control than in real life. I have driven some nice supercars and racecars (including F1) and never spun around like in those games.

fiorano94: Are you playing GTR?

18. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    I recently bought this game and i love it :) i spend most of my time in on line mode, the racing is really close and fun, if you see a bright orange car with a black bonnet behind you that may be me :)

19. Chris-CXC Simulations

Chris-CXC Simulations Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris Considine
    For those who have the PC version, there are now a bunch of mods that fix many of the inaccuracies with the game.

Mods for everything from removing the extra track objects to how the cars handle can be found here: http://www.virtualr.net/category/need-for-speed-shift/

We've also got it running on our motion simulators. It looks pretty good I must say. Even with the mods though it doesn't hold a candle to the real simulations. It is quite entertaining though.

20. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Interesting comments. I'd love to have Road America with only half of the objects around the track. <sigh>

21. fiorano94

fiorano94 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2006
    MW/NW/SE

Not yet. I'll probably wait until GT5's release date to pick up a Logi G27 or G25 for my setup, then i'll get GTR2 or something similar and drag my PC into the "play" room.

22. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #47 tifosi12, Oct 18, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
    I'll be interested to hear your comments eventually.

I bought a G25 last winter as an upgrade for my sim. So I thought. Totally hated it: Maybe it was just not functioning properly, but I had the hardest time setting it up with any kind of game on PS3. Although one recognized it as what it was, the stuff still didn't work properly.

Maybe defective equipment, maybe missing drivers, maybe user error. After a weekend of frustration I deep sixed it and went back to the good ol' Logitech wheel with flappy paddles.

Also the design of the shifter is pretty bad if you want to set it up in a "race car". It really is made more for being hooked onto a table/office desk.

23. fiorano94

fiorano94 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2006
    MW/NW/SE
    I'm using a playseat evo, so i dont have to worry about a "racecar" setup such as yours. It'll be a while before i'll be able to get a G27, but i'll defintely have one by GT5's release.

24. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Now there's a safe statement! LOL

25. fiorano94

fiorano94 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2006
    MW/NW/SE
    I need the time to gather 250$ for a freakin' wheel.