Need for Speed - Shift | FerrariChat

Need for Speed - Shift

Discussion in 'Technology' started by tifosi12, Sep 23, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    It took me a couple of days, but it finally grew on me: The game has some cluttered screens and some annoying Australian voice over, but the physics model and the tracks are rendered beautifully. Also FFB is supported and the graphics are stunning.

For those waiting for GT5, this will tie you over to the December 4th release.

It features some great cars (Lambos, Paganis, SLRs etc) and some fantastic tracks: Ring, Silverstone, Spa, Brands Hatch and Road America

It is not GT5, but about the closest to it. Not counting GT4. :)

2. Canine64

Canine64 Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2005
    Hey there,

Are you aware of any games that have Watkins Glen or Sebring as an available track?

Thanks!!!

3. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Good, a break from annoying American voice overs :p :eek:

Was thinking of picking this up but with less than a month till Forza 3 I think I'll pass.

Here is a video review from IGN http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiAJpUiCHnk

http://www.metacritic.com/search/process?sort=relevance&termtype=all&ts=need+for+speed+shift&ty=0&button=search All the platforms are sitting around the 83-85% mark.

At least the NFS franchise has finally changed direction the past couple of games have been pretty woeful.

4. Latsyrc

Latsyrc F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2008
    Utah, USA
    Full Name:
    Travis
    I've played this a little on the PC but couldn't take much of it...only due to lack of a suitable controller. I didn't have a steering or speed sensitive control, and didn't feel like setting up the wheel. Racing games are one of the few genres I vastly prefer on consoles opposed to PC. The graphics were very crisp and the car models looked very nice. I'll probably rent this for PS3 soon.

5. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #5 tifosi12, Sep 24, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
    FFB on the PS3 is superb. You'll feel every nuance.

Watkins Glen was covered in a NASCAR release (a few years ago) to which there is a Ferrari upgrade for the P4. That'll turn all the ugly NASCARs into Ferraris etc.

Sebring is covered in Forza 1 or 2.

I don't give a hoot about those as my perspective is a bit different: I only accept FFB hardware, so XBox and all its Forza versions are out. On the PS3 that means then that NFS-Shift is currently the only decent road racing game until we get GT5.

6. otaku

otaku Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Boise,Idaho
    Full Name:
    Josh
    tried the demo on my pc but no wheel/controller means it was basically unplayable for me (keyboard/mouse just doesn't cut it) seems decent though I'll give it a go until forza 3 hits next month.

7. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Was given the game last week and've logged about a dozen hours on it - the game play is great, the graphics, the cars, etc. Not GT5, but as tifosi12 mentioned, it should do a good job holding you over.

What've you guys found to be the best "Works" car? Not a fan of the Murcielago - I like the predictability of the Nissan Skyline (R35's) handling, but the power doesn't seem to be there. The Corvette ZO6, as of now, seems to be the winner. Feedback?

8. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Of the big guns I have only driven the Pagani and it handles like a pig.

I'm disappointed that there aren't any cool cars for me to buy. I have reached tier 4 yet the cars on offer are still the same from day one. Sucks.

9. fiorano94

fiorano94 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2006
    MW/NW/SE
    Tried the demo...sucks.

10. Carsleuth

Carsleuth F1 Rookie

Dec 22, 2006
    Chicago/NYC
    Full Name:
    Dan C.
    It's terrible. I hate the handling. One of the worst driving games I've ever played.

11. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #11 tifosi12, Oct 3, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
    How can you talk about handling when you play it on a XBox without force feedback and with a controller?

If you don't like the game, that's ok. I have no stocks in it. But base your critique on some facts please.

12. fiorano94

fiorano94 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2006
    MW/NW/SE
    How dare you have an opinion, Dan!!

13. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #13 tifosi12, Oct 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dan has an opinion and he doesn't like the game. Fine.

But stating that the handling sucks while playing it without FFB on a controller lacks credibility.

That's like playing Flightsimulator with your keyboard and complaining the plane doesn't react properly. Or is this what your Ferrari looks on the inside?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. CustomFerrari

CustomFerrari Formula Junior

Aug 1, 2008
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Casey B.
    i actually somewhat agree with you, nfs has basically been going down hill since they came out with prostreet not many people play there games any more from what ive heard under cover is no good and shift no one has talked about my local paper gave it a fairly good review i still have to test it out my self but i doubt it will even come close to forza 2 and we wstill have to see what forza 3 is like because the dem had nothing good in it one map with 3 cars doesnt really tell you how good the game play is because you cant upgrade your car theres no free run and just one race with like 10 compter players so we'll see!

15. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    It beats Forza2 hands down. Simply because Forza2 has no FFB.

Just for the record: I'm not a XBox hater. I have a XBox360 myself. Even bought the steering wheel and Forza and Forza2. But what's the point if you have no FFB?

16. AlexO91

AlexO91 F1 Rookie

Sep 26, 2008
    NW England
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I'm downloading the demo on XBL, so i'll see whats it's like then. I'm not going to mae any asumptions until i've actually played it.

Actually the only thing i will say is that the content looks quite poor, it's only got something like 50 cars and in a world with Forza 3 having well over 400 with the DLC's that are coming and GT5 having possibly thousands, just ain't going to cut it, but i hope it plays well.

17. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I think there are many things wrong with NFS-Shift including the short list of available cars. But until GT5 is out, there isn't really anything that can hold a candle to it as far as road racing is concerned.

18. fiorano94

fiorano94 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2006
    MW/NW/SE
    it's quite easy to tell if a game's handling blows only using a controller.

When cars kick sideways on turn in, you know the game has a problem.

19. Carsleuth

Carsleuth F1 Rookie

Dec 22, 2006
    Chicago/NYC
    Full Name:
    Dan C.
    :) This is true.

20. JDZNate

JDZNate Formula Junior

May 14, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Nate
    Hated it.

21. CustomFerrari

CustomFerrari Formula Junior

Aug 1, 2008
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Casey B.
    no offense but forza is one of the best games ever invented ppl who hate on it obviously have no money in it

22. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #22 tifosi12, Oct 4, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2009
    While I believe you on that one, the cars don't kick sideways on turn in when played properly with a steering wheel. The physics are pretty good.

I don't hate Forza. I played it through to the end. Same with Forza 2 and both games are very fine games. In fact they both beat NFS-Shift in many ways. Particularly in the track and car selection.

But: A racing game that doesn't support FFB has no value to me because it remains a game and is not a simulation.

If Forza were available for the PS3 it would have been an instant hit and everybody would put it on top of their racing charts. The problem is not Forza itself, but the fact that Sony own exclusive rights to FFB and Microsoft doesn't.

23. AlexO91

AlexO91 F1 Rookie

Sep 26, 2008
    NW England
    Full Name:
    Alex
    For road racing i agree, but GT5 isn't really a street racing game either. NFS has always had the monopoly in that, Midnight club LA didn't really hold a candle to NFS either.

24. Stefan_009

Stefan_009 Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2008
    Boston area, MA
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    Having beat the game already all i can say is what a breathe of fresh air. A perfect mix of simulation and arcade made it one of the best racing games ive played. After playing the demo for Forza 3 the simulation is just plain boring compared the fast paced and adrenaline crazed NFS.

25. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #25 tifosi12, Oct 4, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2009
    Whoa, what an endorsement!

I'm still on level 17 of 50. Finally discovered all the top cars and upgraded to some really nice exotics. Basically everything covered there except for Ferraris/Masers.

NFS-Shift is not street racing, but real racing. All the races are done on tracks, some fictitious, some real (Silverstone, Spa, Road America, Nuerburgring).