Nascar | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Nascar

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by raider1968, May 8, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    Uhhhh....does that mean they are gonna dumb it down even more? Wait.......never mind, I know the answer.

2. "You're" (editorial) catching on!!! ;) :)

3. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    If NASCAR's new fanbase is going to be made up of millennials, they'd better get
    on the stick and usher in Cup cars that are more technically sophisticated than the
    pace cars.

Kids today are hip to technology, they understand computers and electronics.
    Where NASCAR has been failing all these decades is their utter unexplainable stance
    of keeping modern technology at an arm's length.

Hell, they only started running radial tires (in like what?) the mid-90s? They only
    started using their version of "fuel injection" a few years ago. How far behind the
    technology curve does NASCAR have to fall before it becomes completely irrelevant?

If NASCAR was go to the route of Australian Super Cars, then it may well be worth
    watching and the kids would get into it too. But, since they're heads are firmly buried
    in the sand deep in the fake wood paneled walled offices in Daytonner, they're simply
    going to keep making the same mistakes over and over with their arcane rules.

We understand that NASCAR began in the 50's, but that doesn't mean that's where
    their technology must remain.

NASCAR's failure to attract this so-called new "Man on the street" fan in the early days
    of their GrandAm experiment should have taught them a valuable lesson. They've
    turned their backs on their fan base to the point now where long standing NASCAR fans
    couldn't care less and their seats are not being filled with millennials.

BHW

4. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Unfortunately you may be right. They need to move forward on the cars and backward on the rules. The cars now are free, brute, sloppy monsters with big brother, pansy ass rules.

5. Reply? Nah. I'll just cut and paste... :p :D

6. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Absolutely wrong.

The way NASCAR sells themselves to sponsors, TV broadcasters, and race track
    billboard and print program advertisers is by the amount of asses that are in the
    seats at the tracks and eyes on the broadcasts.

Their whole business model of selling the product via TV and other media is based on
    attendance and ratings just like all the other stick & ball sports. That is in no small
    measure how Monster came along to pay far less for their title sponsorship of Cup
    than Sprint.

Anyone thinking NASCAR isn't paying any attention to their sagging attendance and
    TV ratings, better have another conversation with themselves. They need these
    numbers like oxygen especially when it comes time to renegotiate TV broadcast
    rights (where the real pay day is).

It looks as though they've finally figured out that keeping aging drivers in the mix isn't
    as good a formula as they thought and they're now very much in favor of bringing along
    young drivers to the top tier.

If they really want to reel in millennials though, then they'd better get on the tech
    aspect ASAP.

BHW

7. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I think Indycar has a tremendous resource in their mobile app. it's really well done.

only available to Verizon customers through a sponsorship deal IIRC. it should be made available to any platform, and kept free...great way to connect with a younger generation of fans.

of course it's Indycar so they'll screw it up...

8. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    I believe the playoff rules were put into place to deny Jimmy Johnson and team becoming a 10 times champion.He and they were just unbeatable under the prior system.

9. Johnson et al are damn good and I don't like any of this "playoff' crap in any form of racing ('cept the runoffs, different regions and hundreds of entries) but the cream still should rise to the top. What makes you think Jimmy won't do it some more because of the new system?

10. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I am having a hard time with the segmented racing. The play offs at first I was ok with but it doesn't seem like they are putting the best drivers in this "play off." Well some but others are in that shouldn't be. The segmented racing though has to go. Shorter races I would be ok with but the segmented crap needs to be thrown out.

11. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    I tried, I really did.

I pulled up NASCAR's official coverage of the brick yard 400.

They had a guy standing on a golf course talking about things that weren't the actual race as the cars were on parade lap.

They had a guy from some other sport talking about other racing that wasn't today's race as a long segment.

I know NBC is bad with F1, but this was crap. Shut it off. I think I'm gonna pull up some small time racing instead.

Oh yeah, a sponsored blurb of a guy saying "Drivers....get to yer cars", in addition to "drivers start your engines". Yeesh.

12. I keep hearing NBC is bad with F1 coverage but I find it just as good as when it was ESPN, SPEED VISION, SPEED CHANNEL, SPEED, or FOX. As long as David and Steve are still announcing, I don't care who else they plug in. Those two know their sheet and present it very nicely, as far as I'm concerned. :)

13. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Try sitting down to a SKY F1 broadcast and compare to NBC.

NBC leaves a LIVE event, with drivers racing their guts out on the track, in order to do a segment on Lewis Hamilton's dog...yeash. Focus on the event at hand, it is a once in a life moment. Play your pre-recorded segments in pre show, or post show, or talk show mid week. COVER THE EVENT AT HAND!!!! IT IS THE BIG DEAL!!!

Maybe at your age your mind wanders a lot more, so its kinda nice the way NBC does things. I prefer sustained immersion.

14. Waaaahhhhh.

I don't know about the mind wandering at my age (nor, actually, all along), but, I don't cry about the small stuff. It's just entertainment. Get a hobby. ;)

15. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Absolutely right!

SKY's F-1 broadcasts puts NBC so far in the shade it is not to be believed.

Their team (made up mainly of former F-1 drivers including Brundle, Hill, Herbert,
    di Resta, Davidson, etc.) are actually AT each venue.

Contrasting this against NBC's long-in-the-tooth team that is locked in a studio
    in Charlotte (or where ever), they're reliant on their one man on the ground there,
    Buxton all zipped up on Red Bull or whatever, to provide local emphasis while they're
    literally reading canned team press releases and tweets during the events.

Where SKY's broadcasts are first rate, NBC viewers are subjected to the idiot Leigh
    Diffey and his rambling false narratives, grating faux accent and general ******
    baggery, reducing things to the lowest common denominator and rendering NBC
    unwatchable.

Re-emphasizing this, I have friends (several of whom are participants in this forum)
    that would rather watch the UNIVSION F-1 broadcasts such is their distaste for the
    idiot Diffey than NBC.

That in itself should speak volumes.

BHW

16. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I don't see the point in watching Univision for the entire race. I can't stand diffey either (especially the vocal crescendo at EVERY chequered flag) but the video feed is the same, so I just jump to Univision during NBC's commercials.

What really gets me are the canned bumpers when returning from commercials. Oh, and the phony landmark statics: "That's right, Steve. Lewis will be the first tattooed driver to win four consecutive poles at races held in predominately English speaking countries when the weather is clear and above 80 degrees F, in the post-tobacco era. So, yet another record for the GOAT!" And the obsession with "podiums." Hey. There's the winner and then there's everybody else.

I do like the world video feed though because NBC would probably have some intern directing if they did their own video. For a huge organization like NBC not to have its full commentating crew on site is ridiculous.

17. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    But back on thread topic....Road America is this weekend. I always watch Road America.

18. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    What was rather curious was no Cup race last weekend, the last weekend before
    football hits the fan.

Wouldn't it seem more logical to have a Cup race before college and pro football
    eats up all of NASCAR's TV ratings?

BHW

19. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    And that's just it...

During the F-1 races, NBC has to constantly interrupt with the same ads over and over
    and over again. It's enough to drive you up the wall.

Diffey aside, really, there is very little to like about NBC's coverage especially when
    compared to SKY which is ad free once the race begins and the level of commentary
    is very high.

As I was telling a friend Sunday afternoon, Riccardo finishing third must have had
    Diffey creaming his fan boy pants while good old Hobbs and Matchett must sit there
    shaking their heads.

Honestly, if Liberty Media should seriously be considering offering a full season of pay
    per view.

BHW

20. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    You would think. Nascar has always had the Southern 500 on Labor Day weekend. College football has really blown up over the last 10yrs with all these big name games on opening weekend which will overshadow the race. What can you do if your Nascar, move the date? I don't think that is the answer.

21. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    I generally don't listen to racing announcers in the first place,
    but the racing just doesn't excite me anymore.

22. Nothing. 'Leaves a day for rain delay at the worst, otherwise, an extra day for many to return home and recuperate from the race at best. ;) :)