NASCAR driver rage quits the Bristol virtual race | FerrariChat

NASCAR driver rage quits the Bristol virtual race

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Agent Smith, Apr 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    https://triblive.com/sports/byron-wins-nascar-virtual-race-at-bristol-bubba-wallace-rage-quits/

"
    “I got Bubbaed!” Bowyer shouted after he was moved out of line by Bubba Wallace. “I need a beer really badly.”

Wallace appeared to “rage quit” the race after the incident.

“That’s why I don’t take this (crap) serious. Peace out,” Wallace said on his gaming stream.

After fans ripped him on Twitter, he laughed at how seriously some are taking iRacing with his response.

“I ruined so many peoples day by quitting … a video game,” he wrote. “Bahaha. A video game. Damn quarantine life is rough.” He also admitted to rage quitting in a second post.

Blue-Emu, one of Wallace’s sponsors, apparently was not pleased. “Bye bye Bubba. We’re interested in drivers, not quitters,” said a tweet on the account of the topical pain reliever cream. The company added a second tweet using the image of Donald Trump uttering his “You’re Fired” catchphrase from “The Apprentice.” "

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    ohh my, I think you could see this coming.

3. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I think I would criticize Blue Emu more than Wallace in this case. To pull a driver's sponsorship just because of an incident in a video game (which is effectively what this was) will hurt their image more than ignoring the incident would have.

lorenzobandini likes this.
  4. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    If I had to guess, I’d say Blue Emu used that as a (lame) excuse to cut expenses.

5. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    Maybe Rich Energy will pick him up?!

375+ likes this.
  6. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    The whole idea is crap. Glad Wallace admitted it.

375+ likes this.
  7. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    The concept of all this I-Racing is a novelty at best.

If the NASCAR versions are being televised, they're being blacked out in the Miami market in
    favor of infomercials so they're not being seen in the country's tenth or twelfth largest markets
    where (oh by the way) a NASCAR event takes place.

The Indy Car and F-1 versions are entertaining for about 10 minutes then interest wanes. Sure,
    it's racing on TV but the fact that is, I can play a similar type game on my iPhone and have my own
    fun.

No need to go into how NASCAR could screw this up.

BHW

Isobel likes this.
  8. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Same here but they do help push me towards completing a chore in another part of the house. Peripheral benefit ;).

9. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Bubba is a known hothead. no surprise there

10. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    All series could increase I-Racing interest if they could sim a post race discussion between drivers.

11. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I refuse to watch any virtual or simulated racing (or sports of any type). I think it's rather silly how much attention is being paid to it.

12. Adrian Thompson

Adrian Thompson Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    Beverly Hills, Mi
    Full Name:
    Adrian Thompson
    100% agree. Maybe I'm just an old fart, but I don't get watching other people play computer games, which is all this is in the end. I spent the summer holidays when I was 14 in 1983 playing games on my ZX Spectrum (for the older UK readers!). When it was time to go back to school I realized I'd wasted my summer inside. Never played of watched computer games since. For me motorsport is at least as much about the cars as the drivers, and it's certainly about men and women putting their lives in actual, real danger. Life on the edge. Simulators might be great for driver and team training, but to me there's no difference between watching I-racing and watching other people play minecraft on youtube, it's simply a waste of time.

13. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    There have been a lot of 'real' drivers that have had their sponsorship pulled because of their antics,
    or teams have fired guys because of their antics.
    Kurt Busch/Penske comes to mind.
    Yes, I know this is 'just' a video game, but regardless, it is publicity.

14. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Ooooops.....

And a big one from eRichmond.

15. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I dont know guys, I think you have to give it a little respect. Every top-tier racing team has a simulator. Every one. And they implement the simulator with their top drivers from F1, to Indy, to NASCAR, IMSA, Dirt racing, WRC, etc. Simulator drivers have crossed over to success in all racing series. One of the proper at home Sim Rigs can set you back in excess of tens of thousands of dollars. Corporate rigs can be over six figures. This is not a video game, its a simulation that has proven its worth for racing teams.

Look I have three racing cars, but I know the value of a simulator too. Just sayin'

RWatters likes this.
  16. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    No different from a true flight simulator.

17. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Both of Kyle Larson's major sponsors have dropped him. Chevrolet not happy. Ganassi not paying him. NASCAR says suspension is indefinite. Larson says he's sorry.

18. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Larson has made it no secret he's not particularly happy in the grind of Cup racing and really prefers to go dirt racing.

I think he just got his wish.

19. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    He'll do the NASCAR-madated Sensitivity Training. It'd be a crying shame for his immense degree of talent to go to waste.

20. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Lucky for him then that his sprint car sponsor is the one that is sticking by him. Finlay Farms (or something like that) owner says everybody is entitled to make mistakes.

GuyIncognito likes this.
  21. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Larson stupid, just plain stupid. Who gets into this much hot water from a simulation race?

This notion of sim racing during this time is well intentioned, it gives racing fans something to watch. But,
    the reality is despite the hype (and assuming as per usual NASCAR's is 1000% hype), you get about ten
    minutes into these things and interest wanes.

So far, of them all, the Indy Car sim races have been the most interesting and enjoyable to watch.

BHW

22. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    The whole Larson thing is total nonsense and proof of how thin skinned and blind so many people are nowadays. How is it that rap music can say and profit by using the word n****r all day and night but a white guy says it and its a bad thing. Can't have it both ways.

Larson should have known better about the way things are in the world but the outlash that has come from his actions is equally silly. As for these E-races taking place I won't watch them for a second. Stirling Moss raced BECAUSE it was dangerous which gave the activity meaning and I too want to watch people skillfully pushing the boundaries of physics.

E-racing is like a fake gold Rolex or a Fierarri.

the_stig likes this.
  23. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Think Ford or Toyota will want him behind the wheel? Me neither.

The good news is he’ll eventually become insanely good at sim...;).

24. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    And now Ganassi has fired Larson. So we've had one Cup driver lose his major sponsor and another lose his job. Maybe these guys should shy away from "sim" racing - it's costing them!

Boomhauer likes this.