Nascar at Darlington this Sunday . . I'm so bored I'll be watching. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Nascar at Darlington this Sunday . . I'm so bored I'll be watching.

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by pilotoCS, May 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Will you be watching Nascar on TV?

Poll closed May 30, 2020.
  1. Yes. It's better than nothing

9 vote(s)
    47.4%
  2. Yes. I like Nascar

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes. Darlington is the most challenging circuit Nascar has

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  4. No. I have to sort my socks

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  5. No. A race without a grandstand full of fans isn't real

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  6. No. I'm not THAT bored.

6 vote(s)
    31.6%
  1. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    JoeTSI and GuyIncognito like this.
  2. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    A classic.

3. JoeTSI

JoeTSI Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Joe K.
    I'm a diehard NASCAR fan and even I walked away about halfway through. It was almost depressing the lack of "energy", no one in the stands, and the forced safety precautions.

4. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Have the ratings been published yet?

NASCAR and their host networks are usually quick to post their ratings.

BHW

5. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    the share was 100% :p

pilotoCS likes this.
  6. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007

7. 308steve

308steve Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2010
    I think the crowd was bigger this year :rolleyes:

8. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    I didn't want to see that happen because I like the guy, but still, it really pissed me off when they
    immediately blamed it on the other guy - several times.

It's no more boring than F1...

Oh God that's the truth, I cannot do this sim racing krap.

Who won?

Highest rated non-Daytona 500 race in three years, 6.9 million TV's were on.
    Mine was on it - as background noise.
    I watched a few minutes here-and-there, it was better than the other junk they have on.

9. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Steelers.

I didn't think they could do it twice

10. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    I was kidding when I asked that.
    I don't think I have missed a SB since 1971...

pilotoCS and GuyIncognito like this.
  11. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Steelers won.

GuyIncognito likes this.
  12. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Shoulda watched XII. Much better game and result!
    T

13. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Willis
    This is funny. Live Nascar vs. 40 year old football and guess which one wins? Hilarious . . . .

GuyIncognito likes this.
  14. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    The old which is more boring NASCAR or F1 ploy again, egh?

If an F-1 race is boring, two and a half hours (max) has been wasted including half-hour
    pre-race and an hour and a half to hour and forty-five minute race and ten minute post-race
    trophy presentation and champagne spray. Boom, done...

Cracking knuckles..

If a NASCAR race is boring, the better part of six to eight hours has been wasted including
    2 to 3 hour pre-race hype featuring some of the most insufferable, obnoxious personalities
    in the history of media (of any stripe), crash strewn debacles masquerading as races with
    "competition yellows", "Stage Racing" (which has been addressed in this thread already) and
    usually a "Green-White-Checker" overtime period if the running order isn't to the NASCAR
    hierarchy's liking and then another hour reviewing what has just been seen and promoting
    the next NASCAR train wreck.

Oh, and two words, Larry. McReynolds.

A guy who can ramble on and on for ten minutes nonstop with the most annoying southern
    fingernails-on-a-chalkboard accent ever heard and say absolutely nothing when he's (finally)
    done.

Good for NASCAR's numbers on Sunday. Of course there wasn't much competition either.
    We'll see how they do tomorrow night.

BHW

pilotoCS and 375+ like this.
  15. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Memorial Day weekend! Home of the Monaco Grand Pas-de-prix and the Indianapolis 000!

At least we still have the World 600. (Which I have always called it, and always will. If Coke wants to sponsor the race, they should just put their name in front of the permanent title.)

16. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Willis
    NBC is now showing an "enhanced" version of last year's Indy Cinquecento with Mike Tirico along with Pagenaud and Rossi commenting.

17. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    So I don't get the COKE 600. They race 600 miles then have "overtime" where by the guy who was in the lead pits with 2 laps to go and the guy who was 15th ends up winning.

It just seems random to me. I don't see any race strategy from beginning to end. Its disappointing because you feel you would watch the last 5 minutes and get the best of the race.

18. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    NASCAR has become the WWE.

19. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    From what I've just read about the 600, it was yet another NASCAR train wreck.

Somehow, Jimmy Johnson became an interloper and in NASCAR's eyes, that is a no-no and he was
    disqualified for what they call a "failure in the rear alignment" (whatever the F that means).

So, let's see, the cars are inspected the minute they roll off the trucks, again before and after every
    practice/qualifying session and again before each race. Then, inspected post-race and somehow
    after each of these pre-race inspections "The 48" was allowed to take part in the longest race of
    the season where it finished second and then arbitrarily disqualified by some ambiguous rule.

Even without having watched this event, the heavy hand of NASCAR officialdom is clearly seen
    being handed down from the locked booth high above the track as, for some reason, Johnson wasn't
    supposed to be in the lead group and upset their PR narrative.

NASCAR's jagged line never ceases to amaze. They'll disqualify a car/team/driver/crew chief (and go
    finin' & suspendin') at the drop of a hat because a spoiler is 1/1,000,000th of a centimeter too high or
    too low. But, after a "big one" where a dozen or more cars are virtually destroyed, will allow these
    torn up mobile chicanes back out on the track, shedding body work and parts and somehow that is
    all A-Ok.

https://racer.com/2020/05/24/johnson-disqualified-from-charlotte-600/

BHW

of2worlds and 375+ like this.
  20. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Welcome to 1984.

BHW

375+ likes this.
  21. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    modern NASCAR doesn't require strategy. just focus on short runs, track position and running over people.

pilotoCS likes this.
  22. #47 lorenzobandini, May 25, 2020
    Last edited: May 25, 2020
    Same ol' BS bias.
    I'm far from a NASCAR fan these days, but I'm also not a NASCAR hater, constantly inventing fake news, and false accusations.

(A) You profess to "know" about the plot, but (B) you don't even know what a rear alignment is or what tolerances they're allowed? Ponderous.

(C) There's nothing "arbitrary" or "ambiguous" about an alignment being out of tolerance. The team's own statement is admission of it being so.....(they'll determine that it was the ray gun below, correct?)
    From your own link: https://racer.com/2020/05/24/johnson-disqualified-from-charlotte-600/

"
    No. 48 crew chief Cliff Daniels speculated early Monday morning when the penalty was announced that something may have broken on the car and that the team would investigate.
    "Disappointed about our post-race OSS. We think something must’ve broken but won’t know until we get it back to the shop tomorrow and can diagnose. Tough news after a strong night. This team is getting stronger We are focused forward. We’ll be back Wednesday with another great car
    — Cliff Daniels (@DanielsCliff) May 25, 2020"

(D) Yeah, from "high above". The hired aliens' anti-matter ray guns that knocked it out of alignment form their flying saucer. ('gonna do a conspiracy theory, may as well go all out...)

(E) 'Sorry, I haven't seen that....where is the spoiler being out also mentioned? If so, I don't really think one millionth cm would do it.

;)

23. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Does anyone else think this thing with Denny Hamlin's team members being suspended and fined for a piece of tungsten falling off the car is a bit weird?

And, how did two pieces of tungsten become separated from the car to begin with?

Wouldn't it be more logical to secure any extra ballast in the cockpit in order to avoid such
    a thing happening?

NASCAR, where logic and reason have gone the way of the doo-doo.

Let the finin' & suspendin' begin!

https://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cup/news/nascar-suspends-hamlin-crew-chief/4796584/

BHW

24. (A) No.

(B) Simple. Somebody screwed up and forgot the, or to tighten the, retainer.
    (Now, to join your "knock somebody" conspiracy theories....how about this.....? :cool:
    Could it be the hastened (due to the minimal time 'twixt qualifying and race) return of the weight (removed to qualify better), 'knowing they'd be inspected again after the race, caused the err in securing the ballast? :rolleyes:

(C) No. Then they would absolutely be bouncing around the cockpit with the driver, rather than the minute chance that they might bounce through the windshield, and into, another driver.
    (Aside from the safety aspect....'sure the teams prefer it right where it is, as low as possible.;))

(D) I thought they went the way of the Dodo (bird), not the way of crap (crap)...... :)

25. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I'll just leave this here....