NASCAR 2016 | Page 4 | FerrariChat

NASCAR 2016

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by tervuren, Feb 8, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    Here's what Gordon Kirby said at the end of this week's article, which was all about NASCAR: "Given current trends, NASCAR's descent to minor league status, like IndyCar and IMSA, is inevitable over the next ten years."

2. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    I would agree with the statement but it is NASCAR that is pulling the rest of the U.S.
    racing scene into the gutter along behind it, not the other way around.

BHW

3. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Watch the start, come back for the last ten laps to see the yellow 2 or 3 laps before the flag. Been that way since the GWC. It's a tail told by an idiot. NASCAR fan since the 70's. Not so much anymore.

No need to watch the race. Anything of interest will be on YouTube the next day.

4. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    yep.

NASCAR fan since the mid 80's. that's spot on.

5. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

nascar has systematically killed so many other forms of racing and their sanctions. ama and imsa are the best examples. nascar wanted to be the only brand standing. their greed and poor leadership is now proving that karma is indeed a *****!!

they will get what they deserve and deserve all they get.

6. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    #81 BartonWorkman, Mar 3, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
    Well, over the course of several years, they've openly come out and said that they want
    to control a monopoly over all of U.S. motorsports.

And, little by little, their plan seems to going along its merry way with their blathering media
    (most of whom look as though they need to step away from the buffet) lapping up their every
    move, they do not dare question or protest NASCAR's actions for fear of losing access
    (credentials). It will only be a matter of time before professional media are required to PAY
    for their credentials and sign waivers to not criticize the administration just as in Washington,
    D.C.

They ran the AMA into the ground to the point where the participating manufactures
    got so fed up that they ran away. They've got our IMSA now and lets just say I ain't
    putting my name in for credentials any time soon and American sports car racing will
    continue to be treated like a red headed step child.

Once Indy Car falls (and by the looks of things, that could be any minute now) what
    will be left?

BHW

7. ferraripete

As a note: I will be paying full boat for super passes for long beach. I need to do what I can to support open wheel racing. It ain't as pretty as it was in the cart days but it is all we got.

8. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    #83 BartonWorkman, Mar 3, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
    Hey, if they hadn't moved up the date of the St. Petersburg Grand Prix two weeks,
    I likely would have gone to that as a colleague has a major project going on up there
    and there is so much going on.

But, they schedule it on the same weekend as Amelia Island and the week before Sebring
    and the Miami Beach Concours and that's a killer.

Who ever had this idea of moving the SPGP up 2-3 weeks needs to be tied to the rail
    road crossing.

BHW

9. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Here is what I have been saying for years to my NASCAR buddies. Forget the 500 miles format. That was good in the old days when making 500 was a challenge (same goes for the Indy 500). But today, 500 miles just mean running out the clock. So, make every race day a 3 race series. Two 20 car heat races followed by a 20 car Feature. This would encourage racing in the heat races since a top 10 finish would get you into the Feature. The length of the races could vary by track so that, assuming green flag racing, they would last around 45 minutes to an hour. With a 20 minute "bathroom" break between this would make a decent race day.

Oh, and let teams run what they want, shocks, spoilers, etc. And another rule change I would like to see is a progressive yellow. That is, if the wreck happens behind you, you can race back to the finish line if you pass the wreck before the yellow is thrown. Yellow would come on at the S/F line and around the track (in the driving direction) to the wreck immediately, then follow the last car to pass the wreck under green, back to the finish line. Should be easy to do by linking the yellow to that cars transponder.

10. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Seeings's how Roush cars are running, that's not good.

Yep

25 years ago I could have sued nascar for copyright infringement several times, but
    even I knew they would tie me up in court forever, and I would have been blackballed.
    Instead, they threw me a carrot - AND blackballed me. I know them well.

11. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando

It's unwatchable for me.
    Meaning, I won't watch something knowing some poor mechanic is handed a $20,000+
    fine for using 'unapproved bolts', but especially after they tagged Carl Long with a $200,000 fine for running an illegal motor - even after the person he bought it from 'testified' that the
    motor was illegal AND Long didn't know it. I think it was measured at 361, when 358 was the limit. Long was in independent - could never afford that fine, never raced again. Sad.

And then you see more flagrant violations with teams KNOWINGLY breaking the rules
    and they get a $20,000 fine, or less. You won't be able to convince me a lot of these
    'fines' are actually paid.

12. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    #87 BartonWorkman, Mar 9, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
    That's the whole thing, NASCAR's heavy handed tactics of dolling out these arbitrary
    fines for something as innocuous as having "unapproved bolts", etc.

Don't know where it ends.

Its enough that NASCAR manipulates the results but by gosh, they sure ain't allowin'
    no team to do any manipulatin'.

BHW

13. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    #88 BartonWorkman, Mar 9, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
    Seems as though, NASCAR's (I mean Brian France's) endorsement of Trump has caused a
    few issues within the community.

Oh dear, what will happen next? Stay tuned for our next turgid episode!

What's funny (if you may call it that) is NASCAR says it has invested "tens of millions of
    dollars" into its "diversity program". Let's see, this has brought forth the Japanese-American
    driver Kyle Larson (and who the hell knew that?) and Darrell Wallace, Jr. (the promising
    young black driver). Seems like tens of millions well spent.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/after-trump-endorsement-nascar-leader-faces-the-fallout/2016/03/09/51704dd6-e642-11e5-a9ce-681055c7a05f_story.html

BHW

14. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Bubba Wallace, his reflexes just aren't there. Experience is helping him, but underneath, he's wreck magnet. He's one of the few NASCAR drivers I can just dust off in a kart race, and he generally ends up off track or buried in a wall.

I do not think trump's position on immigration automatically means he's against different races. It is however, my #1 issue with Trump, we NEED good immigrants, and making it harder for them to work here legally is not going to get my support.

I did find it funny when I met Bubba Wallace's dad. It took me aback, but uh, well...so much for too much diversity. :p

Austin is one of the other "non wheelman" that somehow has a cup ride. Danica I suspect is as well, but she's never come out of hiding.

15. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Austin Dillon? he's proof that nepotism will eventually destroy racing.

16. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    I'd like to see an accounting of this "tens of millions" of dollars spent on diversity. How
    and where its been spent and the business plan behind it.

And, while we're at it, why does NASCAR (sorry, Brian France) feel the need to make
    a public political endorsement? To what end does this serve?

Do the commissioners of stick & ball sports publicly come out in support of candidates?

BHW

17. 308steve

308steve Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2010
  18. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    NASCAR wants badly to infiltrate different cultural markets, its a little difficult in this day and age when its all white males in NASCAR vs other sports.

It sure beats a superbowl commercial to pay young kids to go racing, hoping one, or a few, have what it takes to go big time. Two superbowl segemts maybe instead of what they spent on getting kids into racing.

19. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Perhaps NASCAR should concentrate a bit more on dragging their technology out of
    mire of the 1950s and more in line with modern racing practices.

BHW

20. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    I don't mind immigrants being here.
    I DO mind them living on my dime, and NOT having to
    pay attention to our laws - what will they do, deport me?

No, they just want diversity so they can claim to their advertisers they
    are attracting all kinds. So they can charge more.

And I think they should do the exact opposite.

Watching nascar is like watching F1 or 'Indy' cars, they all look the
    same, and cost more than they should.

If there was a race on right now, would you rather watch the 'current' nascar cars,
    or a field of 440cid Superbirds, Daytonas, 429 Cyclones and Talladegas?

21. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    "I'm just so pleased with you NASCAR. Thanks. Y'all are awesome. Fixing races." - Kyle Busch in car radio 2016.

This is gonna go over well...

22. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Think NASCAR will retroactively take away Busch's 2015 title?

Any more context to this quote?

BHW

23. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    So, I thought that NASCAR had passed a rule after the Ward Jr./Stewart incident that
    drivers could not go running up onto the track after a shunt.

Danica is perhaps the exception to this rule?

Was Danica "Called to the hauler" as well?

Group

BHW

24. ferraripete

no she was not and no...rules do not apply to the psp.

but, a crowd pleasing 38th!!!

25. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    So, once again, and even in a situation like this where Danica went right up to the track
    apron to show her displeasure, NASCAR selectively enforces its own rules based on the
    popularity of their drivers conveniently ignoring its own well-thought out rules which
    were imposed after the Ward/Stewart incident.

It just never ceases to amaze sometimes.

The rule per the Charlotte Observer:

After an accident, the new rule reads, a driver should not leave the car until safety
    personnel or a NASCAR official arrives, unless there are extenuating circumstances
    such as fire or smoke in the cockpit. After leaving the car, the driver is not permitted
    to “approach any portion of the racing surface or apron” or “approach another moving
    vehicle.”

NASCAR adds rule prohibiting drivers from walking on track after accident | The Charlotte Observer

BHW