NASCAR 2016 | Page 18 | FerrariChat

NASCAR 2016

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by tervuren, Feb 8, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    #426 tervuren, Nov 19, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
    I can't rule it out, lots of "coincidences" just happen too dang often.

The above has certainly happened with in team/in-manufacturer politics. Car's not pitting when on the lead lap as they'd get in the way of someone more important in the pit stall behind them, pitting to give position for a championship contender, etc.

As for NASCAR doing it, its less obvious, but still seems to be there. A lot of the control is from "re-rolling" the dice via a yellow when the result isn't as desired. They tried hard to get Jr. to win 'dega last year, but Joey shut him out. Strangely, Joey's car was destroyed in the next three races. We really just can't know, we just see the facts that we allow, and draw the picture from those dots. In this case, I do not think we have enough dots available to really say, but there are certainly dots that can be connected to suspect. The Daytona 500 qualifying is a big one.

2. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    NASCAR invented this "Chase" format to add a playoff-like atmosphere to the final races
    that compete for viewers against the NFL and NCAA football on that I think we all agree.

Once this "Chase" began, it was (what?) the top ten or twelve drivers that advance, no other
    criteria was needed. Then, the inevitable nonsense started, growing that number little by little
    and even "let" Jeff Gordon in one year because the "felt sorry for him". It's almost to the point
    now where it becomes more of a popularity contest and all we need do is point out that even
    after missing the first eleven races last year, Kyle Busch not only got into the "Chase" but
    ended up winning the championship!

I ran across this great quote on this from a poster on Motorsport.com yesterday, "Wasn't the
    insipid 'Chase' format supposed to preclude winless champions? Just another oversight to add
    to the ever growing bundle of 'Chase' flaws. The biggest of course being sending the guy home
    with the Cup after he missed ELEVEN RACES & finished a whopping -454 points behind the
    "classic" points leader (KH). That was the first time in my life I ever pulled for a Yota OR KyBU,
    just because of the mind-numbingly astounding & unthinkable irony! Could ANYTHING possibly
    devalue your motorsports brand more?

"As KyBu himself said this weekend, he feels like Nascar's first ever... 'PART-TIME Champion'!
    Ahhhhh, Nascar - it's own worst enemy!"

Comparing this to other sports such as the NFL, can anyone imagine the fallout if the NFL
    allowed a team into the playoffs in favor of another team because the NFL "felt sorry" for
    them? There would be a revolution in this country and that is no small exaggeration.

So, yes, the results are contrived by NASCAR officialdom whom are located in a locked booth
    high above the track. The teams and drivers don't dare utter a word because, to be perfectly
    honest, they get far more income selling their t-shirts and trinkets than they derive from
    race winnings and if they step out of line, NASCAR comes down on them in the form of
    relegating their mobile memorabilia stands to remote reaches of track facilities.

BHW

3. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    #429 Enzojr, Nov 19, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Well, either pay attention to what's been happening to NASCAR for the last twenty
    or thirty years...

Or, sit and watch today's three hour pre-race hype, four to five hours as they go
    roundy-round on a perfectly beautiful Sunday afternoon and the usual hour long post-race
    analysis and 2017 pre-season hype and get back to us on Monday to tell us how it all went.

BHW

5. Absolutely.

'Just the incessant bashing has gotten very old. :)

(and I've only been here a few months, I feel sorry for more the senior)

"Those were the days my friends. We thought they'd never end..."

lorenzobandini

6. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    I alas am unable to have a good race watching environment tonight. How has it been? Carl/Joey still in it?

Joey is my preferred winner, but Carl would be a good one too.

7. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    Nope
    They crashed ;)
    Joey in 9 th
    Down to Kyle and Jimmy, unless Logan can pull it off.
    10 laps or less to go

8. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    Another wreck surprise.......
    Joey now 3rd, OT now....
    He could pull it off

9. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
  10. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    That's the way to do it.

11. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    I know almost as bad as a Presidential race ;)

12. OhioMark

OhioMark Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2006
    Did Danica win????

13. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    not a fan of the chase but hats off to JJ and the 48 team. 7 championships don't happen by accident or good luck...

14. Oh goodness. What happened?

"Those were the days my friends. We thought they'd never end..."

lorenzobandini

15. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Can't have a non chevy win two season in a row. ;)

16. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman