NASCAR 2015 | Page 20 | FerrariChat

NASCAR 2015

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by GuyIncognito, Jan 9, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    If I read this thread correctly, and I think I do...

NASCAR is getting everything they want out of these debacle races, media coverage
    (for one) and people on the Internet squawking about them.

They don't give a tinker's damn if they get good publicity or bad publicity. To these
    animals in Daytonner Beach, publicity is publicity plain and simple.

And, these are the people who want to control a monopoly over all of racing in North
    America?

BHW

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    yep, you read correctly.

3. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    "Bowyer had an itch that needed scratching".

I was referencing previous shenanigans when Bowyer inexplicably spun out at Richmond and likening Kenseths "suspension failure" to it. ;)

There is far more hard contact in F1 because drivers no they can lie "I didn't see him" and get away with it. In NASCAR, these sorts of things are very rare, especially with 43 cars and a race every week almost all year. Its largely due to the ability to self police. Certain instances may cross safety barriers, but Martinsville probably isn't one of them.(Michigan, Atlanta, bad choices for payback, Back stetch of Phoenix(no stands), safer places for payback.)

Last years Coca Cola 600 had cars multiple laps down, maybe less than 10 on the lead lap, long run, not a single incident until a mystery debris caution. F1 drivers can't even make it past the first corner without DNF's from contact every week.

4. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  5. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Should've been much worse, but at least it's better than a slap on the wrist.

6. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I figured it would be the rest of the year (to prevent it messing with the Chase even further), but I believe this is the strongest penalty handed out to a driver other than some substance abuse violations.

7. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    Hopefully, Gibbs will let Erik Jones fill Matt's seat in Texas and Phoenix!
    I've been a big fan of Erik, after watching him lead wire-to-wire at Florida's second most important Late Model race, the Governor's Cup 200 in New Smyrna as a 15-year-old! He caught Kyle Busch's attention by bumping him out of the way to win the annual Snowball Derby in Pensacola.

Like they say, the rest is history!

8. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I like Erik but I think he needs to focus on wrapping up the truck championship. Cup races (and media circus) would be a big distraction.

9. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

I think a true penalty should also exclude the car from competing. Not just the driver.

And why is Danica getting of more lightly?

What is the real difference? Intent was the same but she just sucks so she ended up taking herself out only.

10. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    The difference - is that driver's are briefed that touching a chase driver when not a chase driver is a no no.

11. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    And the collective NASCAR world creams its Wranglers...

Oh brother!

BHW

12. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    Honest question. Is NASCAR scripted? It feels like "wrestle mania" to me, even in the choice of words by the announcers. I seriously expect to see Mean Gene Okerlund at the podium.

13. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I think it would be impossible to truly script any form of racing (too many variables, too many things to break, etc) but NASCAR is very heavily "managed"...timing of cautions, giving certain drivers preferential treatment in rulings, giving certain cars a pass in inspection to give them an upper hand, and so forth...NASCAR does a lot to make it more likely that they will get the result they want.

Add in the idiotic and effusive tone of the announcers, and the way NASCAR loves to market themselves, and yes it has taken on a WrestleMania vibe.

Which is a shame, as stock cars on a short oval is IMO one of the most naturally entertaining forms of motorsport in the world. All they're doing is diluting their brand.

14. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    NASCAR is absolutely scripted and has been for many years now.

They crossed this line when they decided not to be a "sport" and become a "show" with the
    influence of live television as far back as the 80s.

The arcane points scoring system, this "Chase" thing which has devolved into little more
    than a ludicrous exhibition of favoritism all tightly controlled from a locked booth high above
    each track by NASCAR officials.

All that is needed to know is, since NASCAR does not allow telemetry, what is that 900mhz
    antenna doing on each of the cars? Since the driver to pit communications are done
    on any frequency that anyone may listen to, who is talking on those split frequency
    channels?

The whole thing is such a farce now that it's beyond belief. Pity.

BHW

15. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    If it were scripted they would have called the second restart at Degga "not an attempt" as well 'cause there is no doubt NASCAR wanted Dale Jr to win so he could move into the next round.

As far a severity of penalties don't forget how NASCAR had Kurt Bust convicted of abuse just on the bases of some gold digger's accusations. They declared him guilty before depositions were even taken as I recall.

Never the less, NASCAR remains the most exciting form of racing, side by side trains, 2, 3 wide into turns, high speeds, bump and run, legal blocking, passing, yea, passing!. You don't see that in many other forms of racing, oval or road courses. If you want to talk about a show, F1.

16. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Scripted, no, "managed" yes.

17. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Phoenix tomorrow, great track, hope NBC and chase doesn't make it too miserable to watch.

18. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    You need to got to a sprint car race. The dirt kind. They are truly exciting.

19. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Fixed it for you. :D

Only the "$1.98 Beauty Show" is more "scripted".

20. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Junior wins Phoenix! :)

Chase Grid is set:
    Gordon (1 win)
    Harvick (3 wins)
    Kyle Busch (4 wins)
    Truex (1 win)

missing the final round of the chase:
    Logano (6 wins)
    Johnson (5 wins)
    Kenseth (5 wins)

so much for winning being the most important thing...

21. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Exactly. DJ has also won more than one race this season but he is not in the chase, what the heck is up with that? The new points system is a joke and should be trashed asap.

22. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Used to go to the World of Outlaws at Lebanon Valley NY every year. Where you turn right to go left. :)

NASCAR really screwed things up by not postponing Phoenix until Monday. They had to know by looking at the radar that they would not be able to get even the shortened race in. I'm not a Lagano fan, even though he grew up 15 miles from me, but he really got screwed when they called the race. NASCAR isn't what it used to be, when win on Sunday, sell on Monday meant something, when race cars has chrome bumpers..... Still, for the major series around, the chance of seeing a good show is still highest with NASCAR. But remember when NASCAR used to be about who ever cheated best and got away with it? And look at what has happened to Indy Car. Remember when the Indy 500 has the hot bed of innovation? Now it's which cookie cutter car happens to cross the finish line first.

23. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    Don't worry I can't figure it out either, but no sweat they will change it again next year.
    Next they will have a "push to pass button" oh ....... They already have it, it is mounted in their front bumper ;)

24. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    It's ridiculous.

25. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

Joke. Joke. Joke.

Harvick is a punk too. Let's just get that established for those unaware.