NASCAR 2013 **SPOILERS** | FerrariChat

NASCAR 2013 **SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by 4re Nut, Jul 26, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #1 4re Nut, Jul 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    For the 3 or so of us that care about NASCAR we can use this thread to discuss next year, e.g. driver changes, etc.

The thread is inspired by today's unveiling of the Nationwide Camaro, http://www.nationwide.nascar.com/nationwide-series/news/120726/camaro-nationwide-model-2013/index.html.

So by association did Helton just call all the NASCAR fans "old guys"? :eek:

Come to think of it, the sport's popularity is over the hill, i.e. on the down-slope. :(
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup/story/_/id/8202510/nascar-mulls-banning-top-35-rule

I say keep Top-35 but expand the field to 50...the start and park guys don't need a pit space. :rolleyes: :D

3. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    It isn't that I 'care' about it, I just think it's a lot more competitive than that open wheel stuff they call F1.
    As soon as F1 fields 16-18 cars that are fully capable of winning a race, then I will have more of an interest in F1.
    I am not holding my breath...

4. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    A lot of sports' popularity is on the down-slope, except for NFL football.

5. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Aside from a bad lettering job, WTF does that POS have to do with a Camaro?

6. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    The location of the bow tie in the grille is similar.

7. Davesvt2000

Davesvt2000 Formula 3

May 3, 2005
    Central Mass.
    Full Name:
    Dave G.
    AJ Allmendinger fired from Penske racing

From jayski.com :

Sprint Cup Series News, Rumors & Stats •Allmendinger released by Penske; statements by Allmendinger & Shell: Penske Racing announced today that AJ Allmendinger has been released as driver of the #22 Dodge Charger in the NASCAR Cup Series. Allmendinger was suspended indefinitely by NASCAR last week for a positive drug test. "Penske Racing fully supports NASCAR's substance abuse policy and we are disappointed with AJ's positive drug test results," said Roger Penske. "AJ is a terrific driver, a good person and it is very unfortunate that we have to separate at this time. We have invested greatly in AJ and we were confident in his success with our team. The decision to dismiss him is consistent with how we would treat any other Penske Racing team member under similar circumstances. As AJ begins NASCAR's 'Road to Recovery' program, we wish him the best and look forward to seeing him compete again in NASCAR." Sam Hornish Jr., will drive the #22 Dodge at Pocono this weekend and for the foreseeable future. Penske Racing will evaluate its options for a driver of the #22 car for the 2013 NASCAR Sprint Cup season.(Penske Racing)(8-1-2012)

8. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup/story/_/id/8248008/joey-logano-mulling-2-full-time-cup-offers-1-joe-gibbs

9. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Yes he did and this is something surely NASCAR must
    realize, an aging fan base demographic, cars
    with no relevance to their road going counterparts
    (other than headlight and logo stickers), young
    kids that are hip to technology and idolize guys
    like Ken Block and Travis Pestrana, etc.

All this when NASCAR is renegotiating TV contracts
    (and looking for NFL-type money) while attendance,
    TV ratings are trending down, a market that's already
    oversaturated and overexposed which will only get
    worse if the type of TV contracts they're looking for
    move forward.

In other news, Mike Helton is a "bit of a car guy". He
    probably had more Hulk Hogan memorbilia in his office
    than racing stuff. Anything to cover the fake wood
    wall panelling I suppose.

BHW

10. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    I don't think Logano can go anywhere unless he brings money with him (which he doesn't) or if he has a sponsor targeting him to drive specifically (which I doubt he has).

If you had to take Kenseth or Logano, who would you take?

11. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Kenseth is not available, he's got a signed contract with sponsor and ride next year.

Joey has CUP options other than Gibbs, he'd like to stay with Gibbs, but with the mechanical issues Gibbs has had for years its not an easy sell. :(

Gibbs is my favorite team, I keep hoping next year will be a turnaround year for them. KB blew it last year with his tantrums, and they all blew a lot of engines.

12. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando

Kenseth is going to JGR next year to be with their broken engines :)

13. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Well, we won't know for SURE until his contract allows it to be public. I didn't think it would of been wise last year for Carl to make that same move when offered. I guess Matt K. feels differently. With fuel injection, the Toyota teams are communicating with each other, so the Toyota's seem to be on a recovery. Ford has the best powerplants ATM though.(Hendrick has some incredible cars though.) Racing though, is not always a stable sport, so things can change quite rapidly. :)

14. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup/story/_/id/8303154/roger-penske-says-joey-logano-candidate-no-22-car

15. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup/story/_/id/8316995/carl-edwards-says-not-candidate-drive-no-22-car

I'm sure all of the above has an implied "subject to change." :rolleyes:

16. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Good to hear, http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup/story/_/id/8317205/richard-petty-motorsports-2013-presence-sprint-cup-series...

...but I gotta believe that it is inevitable that the Petty presence will be out as a team someday soon. :(

17. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Sigh, you are probably right.

I mean, look at F1 - who would have thought that these teams - in their heyday - would be gone? Tyrrell, Matra, Auto Union, Brabham, Cooper, Arrows, Ligier, Alfa, Lotus to name a few.

18. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Makes one wonder what would have been if not for Adam Petty's accident.

Regardless of what happens on the track hopefully Victory Junction will remain a success and keep the Petty legacy growing.

Yep and I'm glad to see Sauber make a comeback in the ashes of BMW.

Too bad the new Lotus is really just a name; might as well call them Team Kimi. :rolleyes:

19. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
  20. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Funny you mention that, because I was just wondering what nascar would be like if Adam Petty, Kulwicki, Davey Allison, Kenny Irwin, Cliff Allison, Earnhardt Sr. and of course we will always wonder where Schumacher would be if Senna had not been killed, what Schumi's legacy would be today.

21. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Considering Schumacher left a championship team, to go drive for Ferrari, a team with a very poor showing, I doubt Schumacher's history would of been much different. Senna would of bounced around whatever team Senna thought would win the championship. Schumacher would go on his string of domination anyway, with Senna on the outside looking in. Its possible they could of ended up teammates, and that's the only interesting "what if".

22. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Good news for Petty, http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup/story/_/id/8387194/ford-racing-very-close-deal-richard-petty-motorsports

Is the silence regarding Almirola deafening?

23. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

andrew...i disagree!!!!! you could start by assuming that he would have won the wdc instead of damon that fateful year.

24. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve