NASCAR 2012 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

NASCAR 2012

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by 4re Nut, Dec 15, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    #26 Str8shooter, Jan 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Looks like NASCAR didn't like what they saw in the first day of testing and immediately made more changes to try and separate the cars. I was there today and had a chance to snap a few pics. NASCAR isn't nearly as gracious as Grand AM so the vantage spots for pictures is severely limited.

http://www.jayski.com/cupnews.htm

" If NASCAR's objective was to eliminate tandem drafting at restrictor-plate racetracks, it remains a work in progress, based on Thursday's first Preseason Thunder test session at Daytona International Speedway. Accordingly, in a meeting with crew chiefs at approximately 5:30 p.m. Thursday, NASCAR announced additional modifications to a restrictor-plate competition package that already had undergone major changes in the offseason. Even though Kyle Busch topped the speed chart in Thursday afternoon's Preseason Thunder test session at Daytona International Speedway at 202.402 mph-in a tandem draft with Joe Gibbs Racing teammate Joey Logano-NASCAR will make the cars faster, less stable and more prone to overheating on Friday. The sanctioning body increased the diameter of restrictor-plate openings 1/32nd of an inch to 15/16ths inches, adding an estimated 26 horsepower to the engines. In addition, NASCAR has lowered the pressure relief valve settings from 30 pounds per square inch to 25 psi and narrowed the grille openings of the cars, thereby decreasing airflow to the engine. Both measures are designed to decrease the number of laps one car can push another without overheating "
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    #27 GuyIncognito, Jan 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    ^^^ great pics!

interesting that the only car with full livery is Danica's. GoDaddy's marketing team don't mess around.

and why can't stock cars today look this badass:

3. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I thought the same thing! Undeniable proof that Danica's ride is driven by marketing considerations first, racing second.

4. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    That cannot be denied but her race results have improved since she went to NASCAR, right?

5. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    I noticed in the garage that Danica had the most media around her. It used to be Jr. would attract a swarm and then it was Jimmie Johnson. Today I watched Jr stand outside his hauler for a good ten minutes undisturbed while the media fanned out around Danica has she stood in the garage waiting to go on track again.

SPEED has covered the test each afternoon. That is a ton of exposure for the sponsor of the #10 team. It only makes sense to spend the few extra dollars to wrap the car to capitalize on all that exposure.

How is having the livery on the car taking away from the efforts of the race team?

6. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Simply a case of being the only female in NASCAR but Dale Jr. is still and has been the most popular driver for atleast the last 5+yrs.

Please clarify.

'4re Nut' said nothing of the sort nor did he imply such a notion.

7. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    My point was all the media was focused on Danica so the opportunity for her sponsor to capture maximum exposure was there making it worthwhile to have the full livery.

The test session used to get little to no media coverage. Back then the cars were painted and decals applied which took a considerable amount of time, effort and money. With the chance of damaging the car during testing there wasn't any good reason to have a full livery because it wouldn't get any exposure.

As I pointed out this test session got four days of TV coverage and while I was at the track and didn't see how much Danica was on TV, I did see the media that followed her around and all the fans that took their own pictures that will get posted all over the internet. That's a lot of exposure for her sponsor, GoDaddy.

GoDaddy could'nt care less if she damages the livery in testing because all the exposure would've covered it 100 fold. On the flip side it would absolutely make no sense for someone like Joe Nemechek to add the extra cost of a full livery just for testing.

What he said was....

" I thought the same thing! Undeniable proof that Danica's ride is driven by marketing considerations first, racing second. "

When he said racing comes in second and marketing consideration comes first I understood that to mean that this was more publicity stunt than serious racing effort. My question was how does having the full livery prove that Danica's ride is driven by marketing first and racing second.

8. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Thank you sir and if I may I actually agree with you.

9. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    Now I need to go and figure out how to become a Silver Subscriber so I can post some more pics :D

10. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #35 4re Nut, Jan 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  11. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I don't see Danica as a publicity stunt, which has too strong a negative connotation, and I certainly don't discount the team as less than a serious racing effort.

However, I do believe the racing opportunities that Danika has been given/earned as a top series pro (whether Indy or NASCAR) have a far bigger marketing component than all other drivers (with exception of below). Thus, teams take every opportunity to maximize their marketing exposure, i.e. full livery.

Jr. is probably the only one in the same boat as Danika. His clout far exceeds what it would for a driver with the same resume not named Earnhardt.

Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday...has changed...Sell Monday thru Friday, race on Saturday and Sunday.

Sellout! :p :D

12. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
  13. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Two words of advice...Who Dat!

:D

14. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    With a family full of Gators I'm stuck on two syllables.....Te bow

See ya in the Super Bowl ;)

15. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    My sympathies!

Two more words...

Hotty Toddy!

16. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

will he still do the "tee bow" after brady runs 50 points on him?

17. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    I don't see it that way.

Several organizations have folded a team, or have had to run less races in 2012 - because of the lack of sponsorship.
    If you have a sponsor that is willing to pay millions of dollars if you will run X as a driver - you sign and run X as the driver. Look at all the Nationwide and Truck teams that have been parked for 2012, look at all the drivers that are 'out' because they don't have sponsors aligned with them.

Sounds like F1, doesn't it?

18. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Bump...draft!

;)

19. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup/story/_/id/7554091/nascar-danica-patrick-benefactor-points-swapping

As NASCAR Turns... :rolleyes:

20. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    http://www.usatoday.com/money/economy/story/2012-02-05/cnbc-nascar-business/52949158/1

21. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Geez, I'm slipping...I didn't realize tonight is the Bud Shootout until I saw it on at a restaurant.

22. I'm gone

I'm gone Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2006
    Phoenix,az
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Watching it on Fox now.

23. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I'm in the New Orleans area and the race got bumped down to a non-network channel because the Fox affiliate is covering a Mardi Gras parade. :rolleyes:

24. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    :eek: What a save by Rowdy! Might need to change his nickname to Sparky. :D

25. I'm gone

I'm gone Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2006
    Phoenix,az
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Well there goes the other half of the field!!!!