NART Spider 10709 offered at RM's Monterey Auction | Page 7 | FerrariChat

NART Spider 10709 offered at RM's Monterey Auction

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by Atombender, Jul 14, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    Indeed!

2. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Jack, sorry didn't get to see what reserve was - I believe bidding got to the $1mil range.

There was also a 49 Ferrari 166 inter Berlinetta that sold for $955,000

3. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    I'm sure Steve McQueen did drive 09437 but I don't remember seeing him in the film driving it???

4. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    As McQueen had it modified IMHO.

5. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    No Classiche Red Book then though. :)

6. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

What kills me are the posters to the article linked who think this is the same as the Ferris Buellar car.

7. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    doesn't stoll also own the yellow P3/4 in Victory by design..
    When someone wants a car, there is just no stopping him..
    what others magnificent cars must he own..

8. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    kidston just answered me - i think he had the most fun at the auction !

9. bernardo66

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
  10. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    He does not.
    Stroll owns 330 P4 0856, 250 TR Pontoon, 512 M Sunoco and a 250 GTO Series One plus many more.

Marcel Massini

11. bernardo66

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    :rolleyes: :eek:

12. tilomagnet

tilomagnet Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2010

but he did. 412P 0850.

13. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
  14. woody byrd

woody byrd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2006
    cary, nc
    Full Name:
    woody byrd
    $27.5 Million. Proceeds to Charity.
    Thank you Mr. Smith!

15. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Didnt he once own it?

16. Vincent Vangool

Vincent Vangool Formula 3

Oct 6, 2007
    Zanskar, Kargil district, Ladakh, India
    Full Name:
    Vincent Vangool
    #166 Vincent Vangool, Aug 19, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
    It seems like the Mcqueen book trumps the redbook when it comes to value.

17. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #167 miurasv, Aug 19, 2013
    Yes, Lawrence Stroll did once own the yellow car in Victory By Design but it's not a P3/4, it's a 412 P #0850 as tilomagnet said above. Alain de Cadenet refers to 0850 as a P3 in the video. The P3s were works cars with fuel injection whereas 0850 is a customer car with Webers. I don't think the beautiful body was designed by Pininfarina either, which was down to Piero Drogo and later refined by Pininfarina? To confuse further, I have also heard David Piper refer to the 412 P 0854 as a P3. I am nobody to question these two Ferrari racers.

Victory by Design Video 0850 section here: http://msn.foxsports.com/topics/m/video/25638069/victory-by-design-ferrari-330-p3.htm

18. babci

babci Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 19, 2011
    Even if there was no sellers commission to RM there has been no confirmation written or otherwise acknowledged from RM or the Smith family that the 10% buyers fee is to be donated to any charity other than RMs coffers. So I think it might be more realistic to assume that only the 25 Million net hammer bid will go to the charities to be as yet named by the Smith family which is still a amazingly generous gesture by them.

19. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #169 miurasv, Aug 19, 2013
    As well as the Buyer's Premium, there is also the Seller's Premium which is payable to the auction house and deducted from the hammer price.

20. babci

babci Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 19, 2011
    #170 babci, Aug 19, 2013
    Not necessarily. While your remarks are cogent, if your read my post carefully I stated that "even if there was no Seller's commission involved". Perhaps I should have stated it as follows: It has been my own personal experience as a many time auction consigner and seller that cosigners fees are often waived in the pre auction negotiation process. This occurs many times if the item to be committed is at no reserve, is of the extreme quality, provenance and desirability that can make it a headliner or feature consignment item that will be assured to sell (as in this case). All of that in addition to the fact that auction company's wind up having to compete with each other to get AAA+ items committed to the auction process in the first place as knowledgeable clients, estate lawyers etc. shop the auction market process playing one auction house against the other. Therefore I think in light of my previous experience and the preceding that it may be safe to assume that this sale occurred without a sellers fee imposed taking into consideration that the presale estimate was 14 to 17 million which meant the auction company's minimum take was going to be in the 1.4 to 1.7 Mil range if they relied on the Buyer's fee only. In this case the results far exceeded any pre auction expectations allowing whatever the final accounting benefit winds up to be to the auction company that it is most likely that 25 Mil will be going to charity considering the auction company has not publically announced they did it for free.

21. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    the total for carbon fiber "options" is $25,945! beyond disbelief. But of course one cannot actually buy a "stripper" can one? If you "need" a new F12 you take it the way Ferrari builds it "for you". and the music will end. It always does. Wonder how it will affect the Ferrari Stores - New York, San Francisco, etc. and Ferrari World....

22. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    How could I have missed that? You stated it very clearly. My apologies.

23. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    My guess is that it is quite unlikely that the seller's commission will have been waived for this sale lot. At his 2007 Pebble Beach auction David Gooding sold my 365GTC prototipi/speciale for a then-record hammer price of $345K, a good $100K more than any GTC other than, perhaps, one of the Liliane de Rethy speciales. (My buyer sold the car at Bonhams last january for a hammer price of $800K, the sale that demonstrated that there were no limits for rare and unusual cars and kind of blew the top off the Ferrari market). While I was able to negotiate a slightly reduced seller's commission, auction houses have quite steep expenses to cover, corporate and organizational, travel, the physical facilities themselves, promotional, photography, costly catalogues, the lot. I can imagine a reduced seller's commission but not a waived one.

24. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    I have been personally involved in and know of at least TWO lots at last weekend's Monterey auctions where there was ZERO seller's commission agreed. Written contracts, both Ferraris, high-end, not "mundane" Daytonas or Dinos. Auction houses sometimes have to do this in order to get a special car. In this case just the buyer has to pay a commission.

Marcel Massini

25. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    #175 intrepidcva11, Aug 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    In the photos below, taken four years ago, before and during the Saratoga Automobile Museum's Fall Ferrari Festival, Denise was again driving her Sebring pale yellow NART spider, two cars behind my humble 5-speed 412. Riding shotgun with her that day was her NART mechanic, Francois Sicard.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login