NAIAS 2008 | Page 4 | FerrariChat

NAIAS 2008

Discussion in 'North Central - USA (MI, IN, OH, KY, WV)' started by Veedub00, Dec 14, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kahmed

kahmed Karting

Dec 15, 2005
  2. modmaki

modmaki Formula 3

Sep 11, 2006
    Michigan,USA
    Full Name:
    Mo Makki
    thanks to everyone that showed up...the show was great and the octopus salad at New Parthenon was even better........MO

3. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Just a comment or two about the show this year, just got back from the trek from Cleveland. I've been going for probably the last 10 to 15 years and the stands have certainly downsized this year (signs of the economic times were in). I can't think of one automaker that upgraded their display this year. Gone are the days at Benz and Bimmer where you used to show them your key and get into the customer loyalty lounge for a quick break and soft drink. This is a broken record said many times before, but the public show days are like going to the zoo. There is always a crowd around the higher line cars, but there didn't seem to be one car, regardless of price that didn't have at least 5 to 10 people formed around it today. I'm sure this diatribe sounds overly negative, but it wasn't too fun this year. That being said, I'll be there next year, because its a still a heckuva a lot better than Cleveland's show.

4. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    My honest opinion...
    it is always a lot of fun to goto NAIAS.

The focus on 100% BS "Green" cars, and tech is worse then annoying.... it is in your face at every turn, where even Ferrari are doing it. Someday, this will all be very funny.... a joke that we tell our grandchildren "yeah, the world actually believed that our exhale was causing the earth to warm... yeah, we were idiots back then."

Congratulations to John for a marvelous CTS Coupe concept... the extra 1/10th on the interior in the concept over the production CTS really is visible... its a fantastic looking car!

I don't know why GM didn't at least put proper bucket seats in the ZR1... the bubble doesn't look great, but the car demands respect... people would gladly pay an extra 10k$ for proper buckets...

Mazda seem like the last car company that are making "wretched excess" concepts...that silly looking exersize in design flamboyancy of what may happen 20 years from now, and the Furai concept... that thing is purely AMAZING.. I could only hope that somehow it becomes production somehow...

China should have no place in Detroit, or any other self respecting auto show. It's a joke at best.... they had a copy of a long dead Bugatti sedan concept in "smaller cheaper proportions"
    http://images.motortrend.com/future/spied_vehicles/112_0601_01l_future_bugatti_veyron_concept_sedan_front_driver_side.jpg

Cobo is in deep talks about expanding their facilities specifically for NAIAS' continued venue... Wake up Detroit, there is no reason.
    1. Fewer manufacturers are buying space, and fewer cars are being shown.
    2. there is Cobo debt????
    3. It is just an excuse to tax burdened Michiganders to provide more employment for the unions..

is that not enough reason to not expand?

It is still tremendous fun, but the concepts are so much closer to production then ever before... both a positive, and negative thing... it is much harder to come across a "show stopper"

Ford, why were you showing video with a Mondeo, when 1: its not at the show, and 2: you have no intention of bringing it stateside..

5. Asian1118

Asian1118 F1 Rookie

Mar 23, 2005
    Shelby twp
    Full Name:
    James
    Blah Blah Blah where are th lambo girls :) j/k you make great points.

6. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    #82 nthfinity, Jan 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Give me a chance James, I just got home a little bit ago... met with James after karting, then met with another friend to finish watching the Green Bay Packers loose in O/T
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    easily the top three best looking things in that booth.

8. Asian1118

Asian1118 F1 Rookie

Mar 23, 2005
    Shelby twp
    Full Name:
    James
    looking good, yeah that game was crap I cant believe that they lost makes me so mad. Now I have to root for the patriots.

9. Asian1118

Asian1118 F1 Rookie

Mar 23, 2005
    Shelby twp
    Full Name:
    James
    #85 Asian1118, Jan 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. modmaki

modmaki Formula 3

Sep 11, 2006
    Michigan,USA
    Full Name:
    Mo Makki
    you did end up with a photo of good old nick and his dad....nice shot...........

11. Asian1118

Asian1118 F1 Rookie

Mar 23, 2005
    Shelby twp
    Full Name:
    James
    YEAH i WAS LOOKING AT THEM AT HOME AND NOTICED I HAD ONE. INDIRECT BUT THERE IT IS.

12. 348_Spiderman

348_Spiderman Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    Cumming, GA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I've been saying for years they need to start bringing in the cars from Europe and Austrailia. The european/austrailian Focus makes our focus look like a geo metro for goodness sakes! S-Max, Mondeo, sheesh, if they could keep the price point reasonable, they would make a killing with these vehicles here!!

13. skipgt4

skipgt4 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    GR Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles VDB
    Well it looks like you got on the Ferrari stand. What did you need to show to have them let you in?

14. modmaki

modmaki Formula 3

Sep 11, 2006
    Michigan,USA
    Full Name:
    Mo Makki
    had to be FOC member or customer...want to join FOC...let me know.......MO

15. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    I just heard something interesting... ;) very interesting!

5 cylinder turbo 6 speed interesting :)

16. 348_Spiderman

348_Spiderman Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    Cumming, GA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Now that is very interesting, for here in the us? That sounds like an awesome powerplant for a hopped up focus or Fusion. :)

17. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    Esssss Teeeee, T-minus three years ;)

18. 348_Spiderman

348_Spiderman Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    Cumming, GA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Very interesting...that sounds like a brand new powerplant, any talk about power ratings? Is it currently in test mules (if you know or can speak about)

19. 348_Spiderman

348_Spiderman Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    Cumming, GA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I just looked at the uk site...I hope it is clothed in that skin!

20. jcwconsult

jcwconsult Karting

Sep 20, 2004
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Full Name:
    Jim Walker
    Europeans typically make more out of less. Over Christmas, we had a standard rent-a-stone special in England from Alamo/National, a Peugeot 207 1.4 liter 5 speed. This is NOT a special car, just a cheap standard economy car in England. How was it for normal driving? Just fine, thanks. It handled the A and B surface roads well, handled quite competently in the twisty bits, and was quite comfortable and quiet on the Motorways at 80 - 90 mph. All with a standard 1.4 liter powertrain. Exciting .... No. OK as a competent commuter vehicle saving money to afford something special in the garage for weekend .... absolutely Yes.

Regards,

Jim Walker
    365 GT 2+2 #12451

21. Asian1118

Asian1118 F1 Rookie

Mar 23, 2005
    Shelby twp
    Full Name:
    James
    thats cool I would love to go to she show when these only a hand full of people in the whole place. Nice shots.

22. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Thanks Issac . Appreciate your comments .