N. California Favorite Roads | FerrariChat

N. California Favorite Roads

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by Rfong, Aug 8, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rfong

Rfong Karting

Jul 17, 2007
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Ron Fong
    Being a new Ferrari owner, I am looking for "excuses" to take out my 360 and experience the absolute thrill of being behind the wheel.

What are your favorite driving roads in Northern CA?

2. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith

My fave? Thunderhill and Laguna Seca :D

other than those... Wentworth Springs Road, 128 from 101 to 1, 20 from Willits to Fort Bragg.

3. jordanair45

jordanair45 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2006
  4. nizam

nizam Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 9, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Ni Zam
    #4 nizam, Aug 8, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. Baasha

Baasha Formula 3

Jun 20, 2004
    NorCal
    Absolutely!

And trust me, I've been on MANY roads in the Bay Area and there is none quite like Skyline Blvd. (aka Hwy. 35)

6. Prancing Horse

Prancing Horse Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Remember the alamo likes this.
  7. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Hwy 128 from 101 to 1 near Mendocino is... devine.

8. RRedline

RRedline Rookie

Aug 19, 2004
  9. fc2

fc2 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Nov 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley Ca.
    Full Name:
    Frank C.
    +1

Really an amazing road. Weekends get a little crazy with traffic and motorcycles, but I've found most cars will pull over to let me by as I come up behind them. I've never experienced anything like this with any other car before, it's really great.

Frank

10. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    Also try 101N to Lucas Valley Rd towards Pt. Reyes - Hwy 1. Optional Tomales Rd towards Petaluma or continue north towards Sea Ranch and beyond. The further north you go, the less traffic there is.

Weekday hwy 1 loop South to Santa Cruz and up hwy 9 to 35 is a good ride.

11. jordanair45

jordanair45 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2006
    I would take a day off from work and enjoy it on a weekday. It is indeed too "crazy" on weekends. You get some nuts out there...

12. sigar

sigar F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2005
    NorCal
    Reviving this thread from the dead. How about NorCal roads in the Sierras? I haven't tried it yet, but on the map Hwy 26 and Hwy 104 from Hwy 49 (Mokelumne Hill) to Hwy 88 (Pine Grove) looks pretty great. It takes you through Glencoe and West Point. Any opinions on this road or any others?

13. eastwest7

eastwest7 Karting

Oct 1, 2014
    roseville,ca
    Love driving hwy 174 to grass valley. Well shaded, lots of corners = lots of fun.

14. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    Unless you get stuck behind a logging truck.

15. ScudMarks

ScudMarks Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2018
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Matthew Mauer
    Highway 29 from Calistoga going north can be epic, depending on the traffic. I also second the Lucas valley road to Highway 1. Northwest Marin is gorgeous before the cyclists are out and about.

16. Back'n'Black

Back'n'Black Karting

Aug 8, 2017
    Roseville, CA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Glad this thread was given the "Lazarus" treatment. I'll toss one in and see if anyone has been there recently.

The Mormon Immigrant Trail....off Highway 50 and starts at Sly Park and cuts straight over to Bear River Reservoir. 30+ miles of wide open mountain road, wide lanes and ZERO traffic. It might not have the curves that most people lust over.....but it would be easy to test out your top speed capabilities.

It gets shut down during the winter months, though. With this in mind.... I'm not sure how hammered the road surface is. I know that it's maintained, but I'm not sure how often the road needs attention. Might need an advance scouting party before committing to an all-out Italian assault.

When I checked last week, there were some areas still affected by black ice.....but come summertime, that won't be an issue (just Google it and current road conditions pop up).

It's been entirely too long since I've driven it so my memory could be hyping up the true reality of what the road actually was. I just remember that this highway would be awesome to drive, given the proper car.

Matt

17. Back'n'Black

Back'n'Black Karting

Aug 8, 2017
    Roseville, CA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    ......plus, there's a "Ferrari Mill Road" close to the beginning of the drive (next to Jenkinson Lake) so if THAT'S not a sign from Enzo himself, I don't know what is.

18. sigar

sigar F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2005
    NorCal
    Has anyone driven SR 130 from San Jose to Patterson? I'm thinking of driving it this weekend, but want to make sure the road is in decent condition and not full of potholes or gravel, etc.

19. sigar

sigar F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2005
    NorCal
    So I just read a review that said SR 130 is REALLY bumpy and in poor condition from San Jose to the San Antonio Valley, so I'm now thinking of driving Mines Rd from Livermore to Del Puerto Canyon Rd down to Patterson. Any thoughts on this circuit?

20. velocegiallo

velocegiallo Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2017
    California
    Last weekend we drove CA 121 and 128 from Napa to Winters... that was awesome.

21. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    This is a very fun road. Basically follows the bottom of a canyon with a lot of tight esses and a few long sweepers. I’d rate the road surface a B, with some sections rather choppy but overall it’s a fun road. Gas and food out in Patterson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. sigar

sigar F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2005
    NorCal
    So, I ended up driving Marsh Creek Rd between Clayton and Brentwood because it was closer to my destination. It was pretty bumpy, but otherwise some good turns. I’d rate the surface condition a C-, but give the twists and turns a B-.

23. sakodik

sakodik Karting

Jun 2, 2016
    Santa Clara
    Full Name:
    Dan
    SR130 is pretty nice. Coming from San Jose, you can continue on 130 towards Patterson or north on Mines road to Livermore. When I went in the summer, some patches of the roads were covered in a small layer of dust and gravel. Not too bad as they weren't as frequent or heavily soiled.

billboboy likes this.
  24. ScudMarks

ScudMarks Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2018
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Matthew Mauer
    The SFMC just went out Lucas Valley to Nicasio Valley to Point Reyes/Petaluma road to 37 to 121 to 12. It was a wonderful drive, great roads, nice blend of fast turns and longer straight runs. The earlier you drive, the less bike and car traffic. Great route.

25. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    More Central California but I have had some epic runs on Hwy198 between Coalinga (Interstate 5) and King City (101). It's been a while, but my experience is a wide 2 lane about 50 miles, in pretty decent shape. I can't attest to current conditions though. Used to ride with some motorcycle buddies coming up from socal on the way to Laguna Seca. There are some decent wineries in the area as well (central coast Pinots anyone?)