Mystery for the Ferrari brain trust. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Mystery for the Ferrari brain trust.

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by paulchua, Nov 17, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Okay, got the wheel replaced, inspected the wheel well and couldn't find any damage. I did notice however that the handbrake cable got popped out loose by whatever did this. There seems to be some part called handbrake protector. (part #21, although it looks very different on my other wheel so I need to investigate further).

Btw, I've tried talking and searching to folks about what could have caused this, the only thing I could find is a similar thing happen to this person.

I can only guess some sort of rod, debris, etc just got the exact right angle and got caught between the rim and rotor.

I'm still at a loss at what could have caused it. Funny enough, the thread above also mentioned gunshot!

I would argue my case was even stranger since my tire has no damage.

haha - well I can at least tell you the car was entirely stable, no instance of losing control even in those conditions.

2. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    After reading the link, the bullet theory may have some merit but not from the standpoint of being shot from a gun. What if there were a live round of ammo laying on the road that (1) got kicked up into the air by the wake of your car, (2) the cartridge was struck by the wheel spoke located opposite to the point of entry on the wheel, (3) the bullet "fired" by the strike from the spoke and, (4) the bullet acted like a punch to make a hole in the rim, but (5) the bullet did not enter the rim itself due to the close distance involved and insufficient velocity to complete the penetration into the tire.

Another day, another theory.

paulchua likes this.
  3. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Thank you John,

I can't remember if I heard a 'bang' or not - it may have happened. I really appreciate your time and a true automotive mystery! I shall take a video of the rim for more context and post here just for fun. Might as well.

Cheers

4. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Interesting theory except for the fact that a bullet derives it’s energy from being fired in an enclosed space I.e. cylinder, chamber and barrel. A cooked off round might cause a welt on your skin but wouldn’t puncture a wheel. Unless perhaps it was an extremely large caliber.
    Occam’s Razor “ the most simple answer is usually the correct one”
    The clanking indicates another object, perhaps a bar or something similar in shape was involved. IMHO of course.

Il Steeg and paulchua like this.
  5. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    In fact, the bullet is much heavier than the brass case. Consequently, the usual result of a round going off when unconfined is that the case or parts of the case go flying and the bullet moves much less.

6. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Thanks again everyone for your time.

Here is a video I made:

Thanks guys, I don't think it was a rock - but I did hear like something came loose...my other thought is could the handbrake protector (which is missing now) have caused this? It seems too small to have got caught between the rotor and the rim. I also noticed the other side is rubber? My replacement one is all metal, perhaps there is a rubber cover I'm missing?

I ordered the replacement #132129 which doesn't match the picture but seems to be the right part.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

energy88 likes this.
  7. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Probably damage from whatever got picked up in the road. Must have jammed on that part and punctured the wheel.

paulchua likes this.
  8. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Thats the missing link part ! nr 21...got between brake caliper and wheel, punched it. Can you check your brake caliper for damage ?

Guido

Crowndog, Cadillacbart and paulchua like this.
  9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I will check!

10. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    And measure the narrow end of part #21 and see if it’s the same or similar size as the hole.

paulchua likes this.
  11. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I never updated the community.

I think I traced it to the emergency brake cover part shown above, I believe it got dislodged and got caught between the rotor and rim. Probably punched a hole - still just a guess, but it's the best I came up with.

Cheers