My Wheel/Tire Project: Going Where No Man Has Gone Before | FerrariChat

My Wheel/Tire Project: Going Where No Man Has Gone Before

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Redneck Slim, Jan 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    One thing that the California series cars need badly is wider wheels and tires. I have seen a few good rear setups (315s),but only wimpy fronts (255s instead of 245s). Wider rears with skinny fronts is for dragsters,not sports cars. This is what I worked out for the front: Fikse Profil5,20x10,+38,Michelin 285/30-20. They don't rub and widen the front track by .61"
    Completing the Italian muscle car look will be 20x12 and 335/30-20 at the rear. Both new tire sizes have the same revolutions-per-mile figures as the stock tires,so electronics,ride height,and effective gearing should remain unaffected.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

daytona355 likes this.
  2. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    A big downside to using much wider tires is that they will be much heavier than less wide tires with equivalent sidewalk height. Similarly you will need much wider fitment for the rims, again adding a lot of weight. Did you also check for clearance lock-to-lock? The end result of added unsprung weight is slower acceleration and loss of some steering response. It’s a bit like running on a pair of bigger, heavier shoes.

You also need to manage changes to the scrub radius, camber...etc to balance the wider contact patches or else handling will be negatively affected. If such changes were all positive Ferrari and professional tuners would have already done them. Still, I agree they would look cool and I hope you enjoy the muscle car theme.

BTW, you might want to look into removing the distraction caused by our ugly North American side markers and reflectors.

3. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    I have been doing things like this to my cars for decades,and all I get is more performance and more driving pleasure.

I had six items removed from the body--and the fender vents painted body color--but somehow those side markers don't bother me. For those who haven't seen them,they are set into the body and fit flush. If they were just bolted on as many manufacturers do,they would have to go.

4. Andrew Leather-Barrow

Oct 9, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Andrew Leather-Barrow
    I enjoy modding my cars too, I’m firmly in the do what you like camp, it’s your car after all.
    Keep posting your mods Redneck, I’m sure that there will be plenty of people like myself who enjoy looking and commenting on what others do to their F cars.
    Although i like my wheels and tyre size as standard (well option 20” fitted) for all the reasons that 4th-gear listed, i am intrigued to learn more about how they give you more performance, i do however understand the driving pleasure comment and presume that you are referring to the new “look” of the car after modification.
    Cheers Andrew

montegoblue likes this.
  5. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    The reason why I mentioned the side markers is because they are not part of the original design for the car - they are only there to fulfill nanny DOT requirements and the Euro market cars don’t use such reflectors. IMO they stick out like sore thumbs.

Carmakers try to blend them in but this unfortunate nanny requirement results in an utilitarian busy look. The original design had to be “bent” to satisfy a silly DOT nanny ideology because all performance cars of every brand in Europe obviously never had them, never needed them and never suffered from not using them. This is an unmodded left-over DOT eyesore IMO.

I searched for a source of clear or black versions for your car but haven’t found any. Given the availability of 3-D printers and printing plus the fact these are just plastic items, you’d think someone could easily 3-D scan them and print them in those common clear and black plastic materials. FWIW, I used clear markers on my old 540is and also use clear ones on my Cali30. I also tried to import UK-spec clear turn indicator covers for a Napier Green 675LT but the factory wouldn’t allow it so I bought a Tarocco Orange car instead and used the body colour to blend in the amber turn indicators.

Sorry if I appear overly critical but the nanny DOT requirement was and is clearly overreaching and stupid, much like the way they totally screwed over the front bumpers on the 308 and the Countach.

energy88 and lucasines like this.
  6. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    Black side-marker lenses sound good to me. Let's see if the aftermarket responds.

7. Andrew Leather-Barrow

Oct 9, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Andrew Leather-Barrow
    You could have them markers tinted in any colour, there are already the products available on the aftermarket specifically developed for one way tint in any finish Matt, satin or gloss

cheers
    Andrew
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    Take them out, wrap with window tint of your choice and done. Reversible and easy.

9. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Nice. Do they stick out at all? Would love to see how those fitted on 488, F8 or Pista. Road cars always can benefit from more front end grip. (Note to any TdF owners, this is not directed at you lot:D).

Would be epic if such a size would fit in the front of a mid engined sports car.

10. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    There is some "poke" (as we say over here),but it comes from the fat rim protectors that these tires have. The tire tread is about even with the fender at the top.

11. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Ah. Do you think if you were to redo it, a wheel with say a 42 or 44 mm offset could pull it off? Perhaps even 812 wheels with the 48.4 mm offset?

What kind of offset do you use in the rear?

Thank you.

12. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    If I owned a wheel company I would try moving the package inboard 1/4" to 1/2". It is a tight fit,and that might cause rubbing at full lock.

I wanted +38 at the rear,but Fikse could only do 32 or 44. I ordered +44. They should be here by the end of February.

13. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
  14. Rule12b

Rule12b Karting

Jun 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I wish I knew if this set up would work on our Cali T without rubbing. I'm about to pull the trigger on some BC Forged going 295/35/20 and 255/35/20 because hard to get a decent match on the diameter of the stockers. The 22/21 combo on it now (315/25 and 255/30) sucks. . .

15. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    The sizes you are considering would raise the car slightly and produce slightly less acceleration. One way I worked out my fitment was to switch the stock wheels F/R. From the way the stock rear setup fit in front,I could estimate how my desired fitment would work and what offset range would be best. Do you still have the stockers or access to someone elses? Or try your 22" setup on the front and see what you learn. The rear calipers stick out a lot,so putting the stock fronts on the back needed spacers.

The stock rear setup is very close to what I wanted,so try to find someone with those who will indulge you for a brief swap at the tire shop.

Rule12b likes this.
  16. Rule12b

Rule12b Karting

Jun 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Unfortunately I don't have the stockers but I'm trying to get the specs on these aftermarket wheels. It's been a major pita trying to suss out what path to take. I want to fill out the arches with no less than a 30 series or more than a 35 series and retain as much width as possible. Performance isn't a huge issue (although ride is) but the look of it matters. What can I say, it's my wife's ride. :-|

17. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    I would have preferred 19" wheels for less weight overall and better ride,but the Portofino has parking brake calipers that look like they wouldn't work with 19" barrels. This is what I would have tried for in 19":

F: 19x10 1/2,295/30-19. R:19x12 1/2,345/30-19. The tires have the same ratio (rev-per-mile) as the stockers. They would be slightly smaller in diameter and would lower the car slightly and increase acceleration slightly. 295/30-19 is ok on a 10" rim if necessary. 12 1/2" rear rims have been done on a Cali by someone on this forum.

18. Rule12b

Rule12b Karting

Jun 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Well 19's will fit on a Cali T of course, but I can't imagine getting that much rubber into the wheel wells front or rear without rubbing. I used to run 345/30/19 (r) on my CTS-V race car and that was a widebody!

19. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    Those are only 10 mm wider than what I use,and the slightly smaller diameter would help.

Rule12b likes this.
  20. Rule12b

Rule12b Karting

Jun 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Richard
    You are bold brother. No doubt about it. I'm going to have to pull the wheels this weekend I think to get some measurements. At this point I'm dizzy with numbers trying to use a comparison calculator to see "what will fit. . ."