My turn for 488 battery problems | FerrariChat

My turn for 488 battery problems

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ca_scud, Jun 29, 2019.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ca_scud

ca_scud Karting

Dec 15, 2006
    California
    Well Folks, I read all the 488 battery threads about folks getting stuck at gas stations or at a softball game with AVH errors or batteries that won’t start the car. Despite this, I didn’t preemptively change my stock Ferrari battery to an Interstate. This was a mistake.

My good friend was going for treatment for a serious medical condition, and I offered to drive and keep him company. Those of you that are old enough have likely lived through similar situations and know you just got to make the best of the time you’ve got with your friends when stuff happens. He requested that we drive the Ferrari and I was happy to do that.

I keep my ‘18 488 on the factory charger at all times when it’s not being driven. In this case, it had been on the charger long enough that all of the charging lights were on.

First leg of the trip was 30min with a 1.5 hour wait afterwards with the car unlocked (just waiting outside of the doctors office). Started fine when we left.

Second leg was was another 20 min drive and then a 3 hour wait outside the clinic with the car locked.

We come out and the car dash powers on with no warnings, but there’s not enough juice to start. I feel like crap because my friend just went through 3 hours of unpleasantness and is tired and needs to go home. Tried locking/unlocking and nothing worked.

I felt like an idiot because I’ve seen the warnings here and I should have at least spent a few bucks on a jump pack to carry in the car.

In my defense the car was built less that 1 year ago and has 400 miles on it. It’s pretty ridiculous to need to do either of those things, but here we are...

The good news is that my dealer was close by and they were willing to drive a tech over to jump the car. For that I am very grateful.

So lesson of the day for me, listen to the other fchatters, the stock 488 battery is going to screw you over one day soon. Better be prepared either with a better battery or a jump pack.

One question: any issues I should be concerned about with changing the battery myself to an Interstate? I saw Rays video on YouTube that showed that some screws were marked with a pen. Do they really care if you change it yourself?

MANDALAY, IPO1 and pdxjim488 like this.
  2. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    #2 IPO1, Jun 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    This is not good. Shocking to see such issues on a new car.

This and recent recalls due to fire issues cannot help them.

Here's hoping they get their act together...soon.

I would take this up with Ferrari ASAP and demand answers.

ca_scud likes this.
  3. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    If I was planning on ordering a F8 I would demand they install the Interstate battery prior to delivery. Maybe this will send the message to Ferrari the customer base will no longer accept this crap going forward.

ca_scud and IPO1 like this.
  4. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #4 Shadowfax, Jun 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    Agree its a joke to think Ferrari cant even provide a decent battery....or provide for the engine to charge the battery like every other car. Mine ate through 2 batteries in the space of 16 months.

All i can say is if you own a 488 and arent carrying around a power pack then your skating on very thin ice....no question. A very sad state of affairs indeed.

Im only hoping to god Ferrari have done something about it in Pista. It’d be terrible if they haven’t addressed it...inexcusable really.

ca_scud and Napoli like this.
  5. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    If you're worried about the marks, tell your dealer that you plan to install a better battery in the car. I'm quite sure they will be okay with that. Alternatively, purchase the battery, and ask your dealer to install it. If they want to bill you for that, you can argue that they should do it for free as compensation for inconvenience their poor quality battery caused you.

Last thing. 400 miles in about a year? You need to drive that lovely car more.

6. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Do you really think that will go anywhere?
    This is a long ongoing problem, and most dealers acknowledge this issue and understand it. If Ferrari cared and wanted to deal with it, it would have been resolved years ago. They get reports about this on a daily basis, and they don't lift a finger to help it. I don't know what kind of deal they have with FLAMM, but no matter the issues, they continue to use their atrocious ****boxes.

ca_scud, Shadowfax and Napoli like this.
  7. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Does the Interstate solve the issue?

8. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Any good battery does. US folk just seem to like Interstate.
    Braille, Odessey, Exide, Varta and Optima works too.

ca_scud and johnr265 like this.
  9. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Thanks, ICP.

After catastrophic failure, Ferrari replaced my battery with an Interstate, but they still recommended that I always tender. Which is not confidence inspiring either. Afraid to take the car on an overnight excursion or even a multi-stop day trip.

ca_scud likes this.
  10. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #10 Shadowfax, Jun 30, 2019
    The issue is the engine's alternator doesn't charge the battery to keep it at a level any where near it needs to be. So even if/when you do drive it, it doesn't seem to matter anyway. The techs say the engine's alt is designed to produce only enough charge to run the engine's systems and any left over - if there is such thing - then goes to the battery. "It's a Ferrari" !...is the common "go to" excuse for a raft of complaints /issues. Apparently a lot of the passion is based around a degree of hardship and suffering and only then do you get what Ferrari is all about and, appreciate what it is all about. I was a slow learner to begin with but now I know its up to me to work around the problems - hence the need for power pack at all times, cord to emergency frunk release etc. Anyway 488 is now gone and it's now on to Pista. Loved the 488 though - great car and many memorable drives. No regrets even though the beating was pretty savage. Again a consequence of Ferrari and it's games. I'm glad they had fun....well not really.

PS to answer your q on the interstate: NO. It just means it buys you a longer time between drinks....or should i say batteries. Do yourself a favor and take my advice with the power pack. Its like an Amex card - dont leave home without it!

11. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I suggest that you test it out at home where it is "safe" to do so. I know some who went from a car that could sit for a day, to cars that would sit for weeks without issues. Sure generally leave it on the tender. but if you have a period where you know you won't use the car much, start with three days, start it. Leave over night, wait 5 days, start it. Leave over night wait a week. You can continue this game till you feel comfortable. But with the new battery, you will not have problems with an overnight trip. Doing the above could help you restore some trust in the car.
    I live in Europe, so I'm not that familiar with Interstate. But people here seem to like them.

ca_scud likes this.
  12. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Great explanation. Thanks.

“Buys you a longer time between drinks”.... lol!

Can you recommend a power pack?

Also, regarding the pull cord, isn’t there one inside the cabin? I thought my Ferrari rescue guy showed me one when he came out to fire up my car. Thinking it was hidden somewhere.....in the battery compartment?

ca_scud likes this.
  13. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I spoke to two techs independent of one another a few years ago about this, and they both said the alternators were more than capable. I've seen a 458 alternator measured while the car was "driving", and the numbers were pretty stout. I've done a fair bit of both car audio and other "projects" in the past that included alternator upgrades etc. and from what I could see, the 458 alternator was a good alternator. It's a 150 amp unit in both the 458 and 488. That's way past what is needed and when measuring the output, the voltage stays up and there seems to be plenty of current. A 150 amp alternator will run the current Range Rover including all its infotainment, rear seat entertainment and what else have you. Never heard a tech say what you mention, and what I've seen personally don't support it.

DRYHOLE and ca_scud like this.
  14. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Yeah, this is similar to the process I followed with the original battery, except, instead of merely starting it, I drove it, expecting the car battery to recharge itself. The manual recommends tendering if you will leave the car undriven for 10 days, which is a fatal recipe!

ca_scud likes this.
  15. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    No, pull tab is up underneath the trim panel under the left hand side of the dash and its a ***** to find if you don't know exactly where to look. Usually you need to the dealer to guide you to the position or you will spend all day trying to find it. Also need to remove some trim. When you do, get a long cord and tie it around and then run the cord behind the battery cover and cover it all up with the mat and you wont see it until you need it.

Power pack I used - see below- it's reviewed as one of the best. It's very small and portable. Got me out of trouble on a few occasions. Funny thing with the battery it just goes suddenly and then you're stuck. If you have the power pack you just undo the screw to the battery cover, connect the leads and boom away you go. If the power pack is in the frunk then pull the cord - open the frunk.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Napoli and ca_scud like this.
  16. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #16 Shadowfax, Jun 30, 2019
    Not what I was told....eventually. The advice given (on the QT) was batteries were the bane of their problems and to carry one of these (as per my pic). But if you prefer the story of your techs, fine by me....only trying to help.
    I'm told the Pista has the interstate standard but I will still carry my power pack and get the cord pull sorted. If I don't ever use it I don't care. If Ferrari ownership has taught me anything it's get yourself prepared for the unexpected - or should i say in this case, the expected,

ca_scud likes this.
  17. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!

Thanks. Good need to know advice. I think I’ll keep the pack behind the passenger seat, if it’s not too bulky.

Shadowfax and ca_scud like this.
  18. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    This may be a stupid question as I am unfamiliar with a power pak. Is it different than a jump start which we have been told is potentially disastrous to Ferrari electronics. How is it hooked up?

19. ca_scud

ca_scud Karting

Dec 15, 2006
    California
    It’s hooked up just like jumper cables. It’s very tight down there because of all the stuff they have attached to the terminals.

I’d definitely recommend taking a look to familiarize yourself with the process by unscrewing carpet in the footwell (done by hand) and taking a look.
    Same thing with locating the frunk release which is under the steering wheel to the left.

docf and Napoli like this.
  20. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I will agree that you should carry one, as a modern lithium starter weighs about 1.5 lbs.

I highly doubt the Pista will come with an Interstate battery. Firstly, it's not an "international" brand so not sure why Ferrari would use taht, and secondly I believe the Pista comes with a Lithium battery.

21. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I think the only good news related to the infamous stop-start system (HELE as Ferrari calls it) is that it comes with a more powerful battery, which has been bulletproof so far in my 488 (almost 4 years old).
    The thing however is that I switched off the HELE from the start once and for all; not sure the battery would be as strong if actually using stop-start. My concern is that the F8 may not allow to get rid of stop-start once and for all.
    On another note, I did once jump start the 488 with cables after it was inadvertently left for one month without charger - it did not cause any apparent issue with the electronics.

ca_scud likes this.
  22. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Already called my dealer and along with the Ti bolts I told them I want the OEM Ferrari bat out during PDI and a new Interstate branded one put in... crazy that I feel fearful of a car I have yet to take delivery on, but cest la vie

No one will feel sorry for a Ferrari owner :) Betting the car will still be worth it

23. ca_scud

ca_scud Karting

Dec 15, 2006
    California
    Yes, definitely nobody will ever feel sorry for us and our batteries :)

I can also report that I had no issues so far with the electronics after the jumpstart.

docf likes this.
  24. Joe_CT

Joe_CT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 16, 2007
    CT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    The good news I can tell you is that once Ferrari replaced my battery I have been problem free ever sense. I still carry the jump pack for peace of mind, but all my trips to softball and baseball games this year have humiliation free!

ca_scud likes this.
  25. ca_scud

ca_scud Karting

Dec 15, 2006
    California
    Good to hear. What battery did they put in for you?