My take on the Bugatti Veyron | Page 3 | FerrariChat

My take on the Bugatti Veyron

Discussion in 'Bugatti' started by Bull_Attack, Jan 16, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bull_Attack

Bull_Attack Rookie

Oct 3, 2005
    Since I sold my XJ220S' I thought it would be best to assume a more applicable id.

2. Bull_Attack

Bull_Attack Rookie

Oct 3, 2005
    The soul of a true auto enthusiast is not in what he drives, but the gentlemanly humble attitude that he can present his passion for the art and sport. And you've got a lot of learning to go through. It's not gonna come by buying your way in the exotic car market. Perhaps you should stop talking and start listening to some of the more experienced individuals here. Earn the respect that you deserve, it can not be bought by having and Enzo a Lamborghini or a Bugatti.

3. Miura Jota

Miura Jota F1 Rookie

May 26, 2004
    Toluca , Mexico
    Full Name:
    Martin
    ...is Dr. Vahe Ohanessian going to buy a Veyron? let's hope so

4. Bull_Attack

Bull_Attack Rookie

Oct 3, 2005
    Let's not turn this into a rumor mill. I just wanted to share this exciting experience. As I said before driving the Bugatti has been a pleasurable experience and I believe the price is very fair, especially since the car is being sold in Euros, any further weakening of the Euro and strenghtening of the Dollar could make the price even more attractive.

By the same token this experience has allowed me to appreciate other vehicles more, that sell for a fraction of the price. Would it be wise to dish out that kind of money for Bugatti......well, it requires some thought and calculations.

IMO The Bugatti is fairly priced compared to many other vehicles, especially those that are historically significant. But, by the same token, many of these vehicles have gone through decades of collectibility and speculation to achieve the prices that they are being traded for. Is a 250 GTO worth 12 million? Is a Cuda convertible worth 2-3 Million? Is a Bugatti worth 1.3 million? The Carrera GT and the SLR are certainly proving that they were not worth the printed sticker on the window (as I suspected, due lack of numerical exclusivity).

Liquidity is very much out there, but we went through a simlar cycle in the late 80s, early 90s. Many exotic and speculative cars lost up to 70% of their value from their highs. Are these vehicles being priced, bid up and specualted as were internet stocks in the late 90s? Nobody knows. Only time will tell. Therefore dishing out 7 digits over the excitement of a test drive would not be sound logic. After all, collecting exotic cars is a very addicting hobby and could be endless.

5. kerbie

kerbie Formula Junior

Jul 2, 2004
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Kevin Carbotte
    thats a foolish statement.
    Its not about the fact that it can go 12MPH faster than a Mclaren F1.
    Aside from being able to do this with current immissions and crash test standards is incredible.
    Its more about the fact that you can let an F1 hit 120MPH before starting in the Veyron, and you will still hit 200MPH faster then the F1.
    Its more about the fact that 6 years ago (give or take), Ferdinand Piech told the world that Bugatti will build a supercar that will have "1000HP, hit 252MPH, and look like (this)."
    Supercars aren't designed like that normally. They will take a goal, lets say top speed of 220MPH and 0 - 60 in less than 3.5 seconds. Thats a good goal. What they are still able to figure out is how much horsepower they will need and what's it going to look like. With the Veyron, those figures were decided already. They had to make it work.
    The fact that this thing can do 0 - 60 in 2.5 seconds is incredible!

To put it simply, Bugatti did raise the bar that high, and it will be a LONG time to see anything better, if we ever do.

Think about it. It took the industry 10 years to bring out a car faster than a Mclaren F1. With all the new laws with emissions and the regulations that we see in North America, I'd be surprised if this is ever attempted again.

6. kerbie

kerbie Formula Junior

Jul 2, 2004
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Kevin Carbotte
    I like the cut of your jib, doc!

7. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I agree they overproduced the SLR and CGT. What are your thoughts about 300 Bugattis? Do you think that is too many, at $1.3m?

If you thought they would go up in value like Enzos or McLarens, it might be reasonable to buy one and hold it for a while.

8. Bull_Attack

Bull_Attack Rookie

Oct 3, 2005
    This quote of mine is one that I use to answer all such questions. "Speculation is the root of all selfmade riches". But don't forget, you must speculate correctly. If I knew the answer to that question about any car, stock, investment, then it would be logical to put everything that I have on the line and buy as many Bugattis as I can!

You know the XJ220! The car didn't flop because Jaguar went from a 12 cylinder to a 6 twin turbo. It was bad timing that caused the down fall of the car. Deposits were taken for XJ220 to be priced at about $700K in 1990 as many believed that it was a very advanced and super exotic vehicle. But as the world hit a recession, all those speculating on the vehicle, couldn't even forefit their deposit. They wanted their deposits back. Now the XJ220 can be had for about $200K; dollar for dollar without even taking a decade plus of inflation into account. The Bugatti EB110 was hit with the same faith as well. Although the EB110 was nothing compared to what the Veyron is, but the Veyron is also priced 3 times the sticker of the EB110!

Therefore I'll leave the answer to that question to you and time.

9. Italteen3

Italteen3 Formula 3

Oct 14, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Just curious Bull_Attack. Did you put the petal to the floor much? If so how did it feel? Im still amazed that the car does 2.5 seconds to sixty. :D Thanks for sharing your experience with us!

10. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Murray is probably right; however his car is less stable and would take a LOT more time to get there!!!

11. Rapidsugarfoot

Rapidsugarfoot Karting

Nov 11, 2005
    Naples,FL
    Full Name:
    Cameron
    I am truely surprised noone has said it yet.....CANT WE ALL JUST GET ALONG......!!!!!!!

PS....I am still jealous you got to drive the Bugotti.......and the XJ for that matter!!!!

12. Bull_Attack

Bull_Attack Rookie

Oct 3, 2005
    To floor your right foot would require an open road. However I did punch it enought to flatten the HP gauge to the 1001HP limit. By the way in the auto mode, in traffic, the car would start from a red light in cruise mode, with the HP gauge showing about 50-60 HP. It has a lot of low end torque.

13. Malfoy

Malfoy Formula 3

Mar 22, 2004
    Hampton, VA
    Lots of low in torque? Like an S2000? :D

14. caymanslover

caymanslover Karting

Dec 16, 2005
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Tom
    As the 9ff article in Excellence said, in order for the 911 turbo (narrow body config.) to beat the Maclaren's 242 mph topspeed by 1 mph it needed 800+ hp. To get another 12 mph higher will need more than 1000HP rather than his estimate of getting to 282 mph.

The acceleration numbers are all due to gearing and traction. Being all wheel drive and have big tires will help. Top fuel dragsters have been able to reach 0-350 mph in 5 sec. range. So who's to say the Veyron's capabilities are so unachievable. It's really more of a matter of which manufacturer is willing to lose another 1.8+ billion dollars producing a low number of cars with higher capabilities. That said I'm personally not interested in such a car (even if I had the means to afford one) whose only purpose is to provide bragging rights to being the fastest car out the factory that is street legal (soon to be displaced by the Saleen S7 TT according to magazine numbers racers).

Aside from being a low volume specialty car I doubt it would have much investment potential like the SJ220S. JMPO.

15. shiggins

shiggins Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
    Is that its sole purpose?

16. Doug H

Doug H Karting

Apr 17, 2005
    Does not the increased power to attain an extra ten miles per hour start becoming exponential at around 210 or so. In other words, it could perhaps take 2000 horse power to for the Buggati to attain an extra 10 mph on top of its current speed. At 240 mph the McClaren may very well need a doubling in the horsepower to attain the Buggati speed. I doubt very seriously that an extra 120 hp would do much to the top speed of the McClaren. I am not an engineer or mathmetician, but I have seen the formulas when discussing the power necessary to get 911s up in to the 200 + territory. Perhaps someone on here with that expertise could chime in.

17. BENSIN

BENSIN Karting

Jul 26, 2005
    USA
    Full Name:
    Diablo
    damn, you mods are ruthless, I just wanted to tell you guys how much I loved the car!!! i just want to be loved!

18. Rev.ATARI

Rev.ATARI Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2004
    Guam USA
    Full Name:
    Leland Jones
    Gordon said due to the high CoD of the Veryon it needs 1001 Hp to get 12 MPH faster then the F1. the Veryon’s CoD is 38 if I remember, what is the CoD of the F1?

19. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Thanks for the write up. I received a few notes from Bugatti, but will not be able to drive one until Pebble probably. That car was the only one around for the next two months. Looking forward to it.

20. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    No doubt. Hang 4 turbos on an Enzo and I am sure it would perform just as well. I don't understand why everyone keeps comparing a car specifically built to be the fastest production car in the world to other cars that were not designed to be so. The Enzo was NOT designed to be the fastest production car in the world.

It would be the same as comparing the first TR to just about any of the other exotics out there in '84. Apples to Oranges.

Like I said in another thread. An "old" McLaren F1 can come pretty damn close to the top speed of the Veyron and that is without turbos OR ricer wings.

21. TOOLFAN

TOOLFAN F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2005
    California
    Personally I'll go with Gordon's thoughts on drag and weight. Being the designer of the F1 I think he knows what hes talking about.

22. shiggins

shiggins Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
    Pretty close at 250 mph is a fairly large difference. And I don't know how you could possibly justify calling the Veyrons wing, 'ricer'.

23. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    242 MPH for the McLaren. Not that big a difference.

Although the wing on the Veyron is necessary, it sticks up too high for my taste.

As I understand it, the wing was not part of the original design but was added later out of necessity.

I would much prefer an active lip like the Enzo or even the CGT

24. shiggins

shiggins Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
    Obviously an active lip would not cut it, and 10 mph at those speeds is, a big difference.

25. Malfoy

Malfoy Formula 3

Mar 22, 2004
    Hampton, VA
    If we're going to play the top speed game, shouldnt we be mentioning the CCR? Last time I checked it was quicker than a mclaren, and decently priced(relative to the competition). Or are the nay sayers still in denial that CCR made claimed time?