My Story - 46567 | Page 8 | FerrariChat

My Story - 46567

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by OttoB, Mar 22, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    #176 OttoB, Dec 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The posts today will show some of the work that Michel did under the hood of the car. As you might recall, the car had already come with a tired LT-1 engine which looked as if it had been plucked straight off the junkyard. There was a lot of evidence of backyard mechanical prowess, including a kill switch (from what eventually turned out to be a defective headlight motor) to stop the battery from becoming drained. I purposely did not take any pictures of that nor of the sketchy wiring, but believe it came from Home Depot or something.

Anyhow, as always - the pics tell the story... These first 4 pics simply illustrate that Michel essentially tested and restested, and fixed and improved, and made the car's entire electrical system top to bottom 100% operational as well as reliable.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    #177 OttoB, Dec 12, 2015
    These next pictures show how Michel installed new fuel lines, along with heat shields, and re-did all the wires in the firewall... The goal was to hide as many as possible, or at least tighten up any unnecessary/loose fitting/non-working ones.

3. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    #178 OttoB, Dec 12, 2015
    Next up are some custom fabricated work.

Michel grabbed a 'new from the junkyard' windshield washer reservoir, as the original had long been gone, and made a bracket out of aluminum. At different times of the year, us Florida folks do have our fair share of bugs hence why we did this - but then again, we have not cut any corners throughout the build of this car (at least in my subjective opinion)...

4. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    #179 OttoB, Dec 12, 2015
  5. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    #180 OttoB, Dec 12, 2015
    These pics show the new power steering hoses and how they were re-routed to an otherwise acceptable and functional position compared to what was there before. We had to get new hose banjo connections for these, but also elsewhere throughout the entire engine bay for other types of hose fittings (A/C, for example), while relying on some machine shops that Michel is familiarized with.

P.S. - these pictures are far from sexy, but some of you wanted to see them and of course, there's more of them but they'll be posted some other time.

6. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Amazing work! Also amazing how much smaller the American V-8 is, tons of room in the engine compartment.

7. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Thus post

8. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    More updates will be forthcoming... The holidays did not allow time for me to continue with the progress of the car.

But, I just found out now that I am in need of the little winder in the clock, which has sheared off mine. My clock works fine, but I believe the winder cannot be affixed once more. I went to eBay and Randazzo has one that does not work, and they are asking about $340.00. Does anyone have a spare that they would be willing to sell me at a more accommodating price? It does not have to be pretty or working, as we can merge the guts from one to make the other work. Let me know please - the finish line is approaching!

9. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    #184 OttoB, Jan 12, 2016
    So, here's additional work undertaken to make the engine bay more in par to the rest of the vehicle. We needed to reposition the air intake because of the serpentine belt that now had an A/C in it. Michel, in typical fashion, grabbed some cardboard to make a template, and the rest is him taking care of business, as usual... I then requested that the OEM factory painted silver air intakes on the engine bay be painted black, to make them aesthetically blend better - its always a matter of taste, folks!

10. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    #185 OttoB, Jan 12, 2016
  11. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Randy is just awful. I sent my clocks to a Carolina co. They are verd reasonable. ' D and m' but I need to look it up. Your car is coming along beautifully. Thanks for continuing to update

12. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Michel is going to fix mine by machining a replacement winder, along with all the necessary grooves... Thank you for the heads up, though, Mitch! I should have taken your offer on the free rear cavallino being that I ended up not having any use for the one I bought (and would have returned it back to ya)!

13. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    #188 OttoB, Mar 18, 2016
    We've encountered a few setbacks these past couple of months - from the clock, speedo, engine, etc... I shall continue with the progress of my beloved 46567's restoration as I am forever in love with it, despite not truly getting to enjoy it yet! These are pics of the hood grill - the finish is satin (silver)? We straightened it out, sanded and painted - looks fantastic!

14. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    #189 OttoB, Mar 18, 2016
  15. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    #190 OttoB, Mar 18, 2016
    Michel did remove as much of the silicone sealant as possible from the front windshield instead to create the border for the new paint job, and did a stellar installation of the replacement rear glass, very carefully I might add...

16. davidoloan

davidoloan Formula Junior

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    Its looking really nice !!!

17. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    #192 OttoB, Apr 13, 2016
    So, the first picture below shows what the engine compartment looked like completely assembled... But, just like intermittent issues with the speedo arose, so did with the engine being turned on/tuned. Turns out that a compression check led to the realization that it was running on 7 cylinders and began deteriorating progressively. At that junction, the expensive alternatives were to completely rebuild that one or, to replace it with a long block and have everything transferred over to it.

Being that it has abundantly evident that this car has been half assed with everything before my ownership, I simply did not want to deal any longer with an engine that undoubtedly was picked up at a junkyard. I ended up performing a google search as to which retailers offer long block LT-1 replacements and based on price as well as reputation and warranties, opted to purchase one from gearheadengines.com. I can personally attest to the professionalism, timeliness, and excellent product based on my dealings with them. The replacement long block arrived in a wooden crate, very well protected, and in order to get a sizable discount, the old engine block would have to be returned within the same crate (at their expense, already pre-paid).

The rest of the pictures show the empty engine bay, the defunct engine, as well as what the replacement one looks like prior to install. Absolutely anything that appeared worn out has been replaced in order to ensure durability.

By the same token since the engine had to come out, I decided to have the transmission completely refreshed/rebuilt given that the car is 31 years old and the labor was already there in removing the engine; however, no pics of it since its just a tranny!

18. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    #193 OttoB, Apr 13, 2016
    In yet another case of "... well, while we're at it, why not?" - Michel had rebuilt the brake calipers through the assistance of this forum which yielded the interchangeability with BMW kits. The pads had been replaced as well, but not the rotors. So, with another search within this forum, I was able to source 4 new and reasonably (?) Brembo rotors specifically for this car and they look every bit the new and nice rotors which I am dying to test out soon!

19. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    #194 OttoB, Apr 27, 2016
    From the previous post, I failed to mention that a second fan was installed surrounding the radiator (singular one previously present) in order to make sure that 46567 can handle the warm heat in Florida while maintaining good operating engine temperature. Naturally, it was sourced from a second hand store (sometimes called a junkyard).

On a similar note, because the engine has been out, we realized that not only is the engine bay rather large, but in order to ensure maximum and efficient a/c airflow, the vehicle's a/c system would benefit greatly from a shroud surrounding the 2 fans circulating the new, improved, and much larger condenser than stock. So, Michel does what he knows best and went off creating the dang think from scratch.

The first step was to create a wooden buck the same size and circumference of the fans. Then through his genius CAD design experience, went about to create half a shroud. By doing a second one backwards, then the entire shroud is complete. Towards the bottom of the shrouds, you will note that he drilled holes in order for the condenser to still get as much airflow from the wind as possible.

Michel is a very talented individual and I am very, very fortunate to have him work on my car.

20. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Wow very nice work on those shroud.

21. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    #196 OttoB, May 19, 2016
    The custom stereo on 46567 was designed by Michel and everything was purchased from the good folks at Crutchfield. Michel, in another lifetime many eons ago, performed high end acoustic installs on automobiles, so he could not leave this one very well alone after he thought he had finished the job. I have listened to the car's stereo system and I am very impressed with the overall quality and crispness of the sound emanating from all of its components in harmony.

Because there was hesitation that having a large amplifier attached to the rear deck of the car (on the trunk portion between the taillights), Michel decided it would be best to allow it to breathe a bit. So, with some good creativity and engineering, he borrowed an electric fan off an old computer and used aluminum to house the fan on the side of the trunk's rear deck. Of course, he used his CAD design & experience to punch holes in 2 separate grills to ensure it does not get damaged. You can then see how Michel had one of the grills covered in carpeting as well as having the outer frame powder coated. The cool thing about it all is that its virtually unnoticeable because of the angle and, although I haven't noticed a difference in the sound of the stereo, a longer life has been ensured because of this extra breathing which is wired to always come on when the stereo has been turned on.

After seeing the auxiliary gas release in the last 2 pictures sticking out because its red, I had him paint it black in order to finalize the trunk which I am very pleased with and will have to use discretion as to what I choose to place there!

22. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Just like I didn't do my research before I bought the rear (and bigger than its supposed to) cavallino badge before having it installed, and now unable to rectify the situation with having a new (and correct one) with different mounting holes, the hood grill is forever painted silver without me having realized until just a few weeks ago that Series II 400 grills are black. I live and learn - it will be corrected at some point, but I really just want to enjoy the car soon when I finally get it roadworthy!

23. Ewan

Ewan Karting

Jul 5, 2015
    Dorset, UK
    I prefer the look of the silver grill. And given that this car is far from "original" in its specification, why worry about the fact that your grill should in theory be body coloured? Just have it the colour you prefer (be that silver or body coloured).

24. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    #199 OttoB, Jul 23, 2016
    With a project this extensive, sometimes it is hard to keep track of all of the progress and in my case, all of the pictures that Michel has sent me over such an extended period of time! Believe me, it is a good problem to have when the person entrusted to bring your car back to life is adamant about documenting the incredible progress made on the car.

Below are simply additional pictures I should have posted previously on 46567's trunk. Among them, there are some that show the install of the 'borrowed' computer fan pressed into service in order to aid cooling and venting the heat generated from the stereo's massive amplifier attached to the area between the tail lights.

The latch next to it (vertical one), opens up in order to remove the floor jack and tools to replace a flat tire. It all fits rather neatly without any space constraints. Additionally, from the previous photographs, this area is nearly impossible to see and Michel had to literally crawl into the trunk to take these new pictures.

The following pic, you can see what the horizontal trunk floor tabs reveal. Michel added an LED light that is automatically turned on the moment the spare tire latch/trunk floor is lifted, in order to illuminate the area in the event of a flat tire. Notice how he also added a little prop to keep the trunk floor open so as to facilitate the removal of the spare tire with both hands.

On the last picture, it shows how he changed the auxiliary/manual gas release located in the trunk from its previous red now to black by dipping it in a permanent hot chemical concoction which I do not want to bother him asking more about. But, suffice it to say that it will not chip back to red anytime soon, or so I am told!

25. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    #200 OttoB, Jul 23, 2016
    I first saw 46567 for sale on eBay back in 2009 offered by a dealer out of Minnesota whom I presume did the engine transplant - to the shoddiest of standards, I might add. As of today, I have no information on the car's history as to why the original V-12 was removed, but I know the car was off the road from around 2003-2009, if not longer, as the chassis's low mileage reflects 24K miles. If anyone out there could PM any information on 46567 that precedes 2009, I would really appreciate it!

After years of the hood closing on the LT-1 engine, the leather hood pad was worse for wear around the area where the alternator is located. Instead of: 1) replacing the hood pad with a new one, only to be punctured interminably because of the alternator's permanent location; or 2) leaving it "as-is" to continue worsening over time, Michel instead decided to go with option number 3), which was to fabricate a couple of metal plates out of aluminum and install them in the same exact affected areas. Because he used symmetrical proportions as well as a textured border as per the OEM immediately below it, all in black, I quite fancy this (in my opinion) much needed repair.