My Story - 46567 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

My Story - 46567

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by OttoB, Mar 22, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    Well,you won't be hearing any dissatisfaction from me. I'm sure there are plenty of originalpolizei (purists) watching this thread grinding their teeth,but in my view this was quite a different car from project get-go and it continues on quite a different route than usual. I suspect this will turn out to something very different in the end than other V8 transplanted 400's.

I think it's cool you got the nerve and I'm looking forward to more of this story.

BTW : How thick are the front wheel spacers ?

2. Vanquish80

Vanquish80 Formula Junior

Aug 1, 2011
    Germany,Switzerland
    Hi Otto,

I am too busy to read the whole thread now, but I really like the new rims! They fit the car very well.

Good luck with your project.

3. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Hah! And you put all-seasons on it? Now that's classic..

4. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    I actually stumbled upon this perusing my favorite cool car racing/stuff too expensive to justify but you buy it anyway vendor who I frequent while at Daytona, Sebring, etc. At Brian Redman's Targa 66 event held at Palm Beach International Raceway (20 minutes away for me) held last month, I picked up this book by Randy Cook that she had for sale and signed by the author. As to the event itself, there were 2 original 1962 Ferrari GTO's along with a BB 512 LM, a few former F1 machines, and some other really impressive stuff otherwise not seen outside of Goodwood or Monterrey Historics... I try to go to everything car related in Florida (missed Amelia this year - because of the divorce, I have my son every other weekend and its a 4 hour drive each way, so I passed), but no complaints.

Anyhow, it wasn't until I got home that I realized how poignant this book was to my life story for the past 1.5 years... The timing was fortunate for me, and I urge anyone here that has a spare few bucks to order it - your jaw will drop. Below, there are 2 links: the first one is self-explanatory about the book and the second one, shows what the contents of the book looks like beginning with an unprecedented breakdown of each early Ferrari model that had Chevrolet power - whilst completely boggling your mind in the process, model by model, each with an American bowtie past, and each outlined by the Ferrari's VIN.

Impressive not only in the thoroughness of the research undertaken to write the book, but also how many high profile fellas in the past resorted to practical means to resolve (apparently mostly V-12) engine issues. A must for non-purists out there, besides myself, as well as those cognoscenti who need to learn about side Ferrari stuff for the next gathering and need a back up conversation topic - you'll be a hit at the event! Believe me it has been tempting to inform you of the book at the second post within this thread, but its a Saturday night and I'm taking it easy tonight watching James Bond, sipping on a good stiff drink, and listening to my infant son snore.

Bowtie Ferraris by Randy Cook

http://cavua.zdgfc.servertrust.com//v/vspfiles/images/bowtie-ferrari-promo.pdf

5. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Not sure I quite follow your rather observant comment... My profile indicates I live in (Palm Beach County, located in SE) Florida where its 78-88 degrees 10.5 months out of 12. I also was able to easily discern that, within your profile adjacent to your post, that you reside in Washington state, which is known for, amongst many other things besides Starbucks originating from there and the 2014 Superbowl Champ Seahawks ("Go 'Hawks!"), snow and rain, lots of rain...

I mean, we have hurricanes over here every 4-5 years, but you all have a LOT of rain. So, in attempting to process a response to your post which has proven a little bit difficult for me since I don't know what to assume, given that all-season tires is normal outside of Washington state and especially in Florida, are you trying to be funny (I reckon I get easily confused?), or incredibly insightful and perceptive? or maybe passive-aggressive in choosing verbage that could otherwise be construed as degrading? Or just giving your .02 cents about the then situation of the car which has little to do with how it is now, or?

Please don't take this personally because I am not, in all honesty, but then again, when anyone posts a comment or inquiry in this thread, I guess I am the only one that can truly give some insight about most of the content. So, I beg that you please PM me with your point of view rather than the alternative as it relates to a response to this particular post.

I do, though, will always appreciate any feedback from anyone across the globe. If you had not already derived to this conclusion already, I do pack a heavy chip on my shoulders but then again, I hope and believe that I can back it up. Now, taking a break from this thread and enjoying another stiff (rum tonight for anyone curious) drink - after all, it is the weekend and I hail from a small Caribbean island, man!

6. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Nothing degrading at all. You live in Florida hence I was surprised to see you put all-season tires on it. The likelihood of you even seeing snow let alone driving your 400 in snow is so terribly low I wonder why you decided to put all-seasons on it. That's all.

I think you guys get more rain that we do. And we rarely get snow here. You generally need to drive to the mountains for that. But this thread isn't about Seattle. ;). It's about your car. Great updates. A shame someone ruined all that red interior stuff years before. Another interesting thing about your car is that is wasn't cut to add side markers during federalization.

Carry on sir....great updates, interesting stories. But don't always assume the negative. ;)

7. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Anyone who has had TRX Michelin's on their 400i series can attest that the tread looks more like a snow tire tread thank "all season" tread!

They are great in the rain, though!

8. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    1) Arvid - I had already messaged you about the measurements but for anyone else who is curious, the front spacers measure .375 and the rears .750 of an inch.

2) BJWhite - Since the crap shop didn't really help me much by way of assisting me in determining wheel sizes (or tire ones), Tire Rack didn't not register this Ferrari model, and no one else in this forum had attempted to make those wheels fit (in that size) on their car, I actually went out and bought cheapie tires off a local guy in hopes they'd fit. I did the same thing on my 850 when just a few months earlier, I had installed 19 inch wheels and lowered that car quite a bit - although all of us will always get a better deal online, when you change the circumference and/or radius of the OEM wheels, you're pretty much on your own.

Rather than chancing and buying something a-la-crapshoot online to save a few bucks to only then return them after they've been mounted and dismounted, I had the tires installed on both cars, and they fit. As to the BMW, because the car sat for over 1.5 years in the shop, the tires have somewhat become flat spotted and will be replaced soon. As to the 400i, I pretty much expect the same but I won't know until I've driven it. All I knew back then was that the gamble on wheel sizes and tires paid off once Michel machined these spacers to ensure no rubbing in the rears and also be able to do a full front wheel tilt. Once I put some miles on the car, I will likely improve the quality of tires but maintain the same sizes currently on it.

9. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Some history on the car, from what little I have.

The AutoCheck (like a CarFax) on 46567 only goes back to January of 2000 when it had 19,629 miles in Arizona – perhaps that is why this car does not have any rust… In January of 2001, the registration was once again renewed but by November of 2004, the report indicates having a salvage title and the vehicle finding itself in Missouri. The following (and last) entry was in February 2010 where it underwent an emission inspection in CA showing 22,544, although the seller told me he was never able to register the car for road use. To this day, I believe the odometer still shows 22, xxx miles.

I welcome anyone to please contribute any information they may have access to on this car, besides the posts from Kart, the seller of the car. I don't have the fancy name for the original color of my 400i, but its a dark metallic gray and obviously, the car came with a red interior. Anything prior to 2000 would be very much welcomed, as well as anyone having any information from 2001-2004 while it still had its V-12, and lastly, any knowledge of why/how it languished in Missouri from 2004-2009 when it was then listed on eBay with the LT-1 engine.

10. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    #35 OttoB, Apr 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Disassembly begins on the interior of the car in order to label everything out, have the seats, dash, center console, roof console, side panels, and rear deck sent out to an interior trim shop. If you note on the bottom left of the very first picture, underneath the rear passenger seat, it seemed that a rat had made at nest there at some point. There was no significant amount of droppings, but alas, none of us expect for our cars to have creatures living in it ever... I have seen pictures which show more of the nest but its not pleasant to look at!

On another note, Ft. Lauderdale is known as having one of the largest boating communities in the world and Michel being a local, put me in touch with an individual who mostly does interior work on high end yachts. She did me a solid by giving me what I thought was a decent quote for a complete re-do of the interior in light tan in order to contrast it with the black carpeting, center console, rear deck, dashboard, and headliner. I attached a picture of another owner's 400 to illustrate what mine will look like. I was just happy that this interior place actually did interiors versus the prick who had stolen my deposit from the previous summer and never did anything on the dang car.

As a side note, the metal bar crossing the side of the door, from what I may recall having learned somewhere, was indicative of Canadian spec cars? Does anyone have any more information on this, by chance?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    #36 OttoB, Apr 5, 2015
  12. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    #37 OttoB, Apr 5, 2015
  13. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    #38 OttoB, Apr 5, 2015
    The top part of the center console was considerably warped, so Michel had to get a piece of aluminum to shape it over the affected area after measuring, cutting, and installing it into place. Then, this new piece was fastened using pop-rivets after which it was then sanded some more and finally bonded. Now, it was looking a lot better than how it was previously and ready to be recovered with the new material.

14. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    #39 OttoB, Apr 5, 2015
    Then, we had issues with the glove compartment. As you can see for yourself, the area surrounding the glove compartment latch was twisted beyond use, and so was the latch. Michel solved this issue by taking the original latch to a junkyard, and coming back with a similar one that he borrowed off a '93 Land Rover Discovery. But, it was not a straightforward replacement as you would imagine, so he did what he normally does, which is to take something a bit complicated (to most of us) and make it look very easy - he grabbed a new piece of aluminum, measured, cut, and shaped it surrounding both the latch and the area within the glove box door, and installed it.

15. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    OttoB, this story is amazing, the craftsmanship your fellow is doing for you is perfection....congrats !!

In the past 40 years of my "living with cars", I have done some, repeat, SOME, of these very same repairs...as in, fix it, build it, modify it, make it....but not to this degree, you have a true restorer working on your Ferrari.
    Keep moving forward on your project, keep us up to date on the progress, well done !!

PS: We have got to get our two 400's together.

Gary

16. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    +1

This thread is a fresh breath :) I look forward to the remaining progress.

A

17. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Like many of us in this forum, life always pull us in many directions all the time and sometimes, all the very same time. So, I very much look forward to coming into this forum where owners of these rare, yet handsome and temperamental cars, come to congregate and deal with all things 365 GT4 2+2/400/412 related.

I had not been able to check-in the last couple of days but when I saw the subscription notification update email this morning with the 2 most recent posts, I actually got very emotional... In happy, relieved way! I want to thank all of those who have used much restraint in gasping at some of the work already done because although this forum is meant for everyone to voice their opinion, this thread is especially close and personal to me being that I own one of the least accepted vehicles to ever come out of Modena in its current drivetrain configuration. But believe me when I tell you, the several 100 hours spent on this car will be the one speaking to you, and I'm just narrating the story.

I also want to thank those of you who make the time to voice your enthusiasm on the project, as I know I'm far from perfect and so are my cars, yet for many Ferrari owners, they automatically somehow have the stereotype reputation of being better or holier than those around them. I don't know why, as we are all good people, yet I've caught little attitude from people even without ever turning the wheel on mine. Nonetheless, words of encouragement are always nice to hear and I really appreciate it.

Lastly, before I begin posting more work, whereas the Pelican Parts Porsche forum, once can place pictures within the text of a post, in here, as you all know by know, you type everything, and then all the pictures follow, which is hard to explain things when done step by step. So, needless to say, everyone can always skip my ramblings and just go straight to the pictures since I can be long winded!

18. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    #43 OttoB, Apr 8, 2015
    So, in attempting to continue taking care of warped pieces in the interior of the car, every single component was heavily scrutinized by Michel, as no stone would be left unturned. Therefore, although he began straightening out the dash and binnacle, we all also have this one piece made of fiberglass located at the very tip of the dash where it abuts with the front windshield.

The pictures show the story where this one was very much warped, so Michel had to straighten it out against his work bench, then apply wood to maintain the grooved space in the middle, while applying heat with a 'heat' gun so that it would take again to its once nice shape. As is typical in his work, he continuously looks to see that everything lines up as good as the factory, if not better...

19. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    #44 OttoB, Apr 8, 2015
    Michel then realized that the passenger side of the dashboard was undulated towards the top area past the glove box - to him, its no big deal. So, he grabbed some strands to test fit the dash and see if it would resolve the issue. Once to his satisfaction, he laid fiberglass over the old dash and got it taken care of.

So, at least at this junction, he got the dash to fit along with the windshield ledge piece... And, both the binnacle cluster pod and center console now seamlessly once again fit into the dash as it should. That made it acceptable to send to the interior shop.

20. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    #45 OttoB, Apr 8, 2015
    The doors were next... Michel having been an engineer for Bombardier, had access to Plaskolite, a very particular material which has been specifically engineered for use in various airplane and gas station bathrooms. A Plaskolite mirror sheet is crack/shatter/and abrasion-resistant because it is made of a lightweight polycarbonate which makes it an ideal choice for commercial aircraft lavatories. It is very unusual to touch - if you ever have the opportunity to - because it is lightweight, yet incredibly strong but all the while still pliable to be shaped the way one would want it to, as long as enough pressure is utilized. It will never corrode nor will it warp with heat, unlike the material the factory used that appears to be some kind of hard cardboard or wood or?

One one side, it is white, and on the other, it has an aluminum finish. So, when he dismantled 46567's door panels, you can see for yourselves that the middle portions were also warped beyond repair. So, on with the Plaskolite carving. If you study the pictures below, you will see how incredibly exacting Michel is with each and every marking, which obviously was measured and replicated within the replacement sheet. I cannot speak any higher or often enough of how dedicated he's been to make this car be as good as it can...

Once we got the middle portions of the door panels replicated, he then purchased insulation foam from Lowe's to then cut to size and duplicate the cushion for the door panels. This took plenty of time to get it just right, although you only get to see that the end product depicted in the images below looks pretty darn good!

After that, these too were ready for the interior shop for new material re-do!

21. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    #46 OttoB, Apr 8, 2015
    As to parts, parts, and more parts that were purchased to revive this old dog, below is a partial list followed by pictures...

New alternator, A/C compressor, A/C dryer, specially custom-made hoses with new fittings to ensure the crap that was there before was a long memory past, rear seat A/C vents, new PIAA fog lamps, new brake pedal cover (yes, I am detail oriented to the nth degree too!), a 3 gauge center bezel for the center console, beautiful brand new set of all 4 OEM tail lights - which at this point in the project, serves as my avatar pic since the car has been in pieces for over a year! I also sourced a new center dash A/C vent that came from a Mondial, as they were difficult to source (by me anyway) specifically for this car - you can see the original crapped out 3 gauge center bezel underneath the new center A/C vent, new replacement headlights courtesy of the local parts store - in rebellion to a previous post where an owner would never install anything so cheap on their car, etc.

22. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Great work! I hope your planning on making that LT-1 look as good as the rest of the car.

23. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Otto, I've been following your saga, and know your pain too well.

I received an update call this morning on mine, and I can assure you that the feeling of progress in turning a travesty into what you had imagined from the beginning, is fantastic - nearly indescribable to those who haven't endured it.

Keep up the updates - much of the work on mine is still running a bit behind yours, so in addition to getting to see another returning to good form, I'm taking notes for anything that may come up soon.

24. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    #50 OttoB, Apr 14, 2015
    So, we continue to improve the condition of 46567's interior, slowly but surely... As most of you know, parts for these cars can be hard to come by and if one doesn't catch a break every now and then on a good, used part, then any repairs can turn ugly very quickly.

Case in point - I could not, for the life of me, source a new or exact 400i center A/C vent replacement after searching high and low for weeks. So, I took a chance and bought one that came off a Mondial's, since it looked identical to mine and both cars were produced around the same timeframe - and it was available from a well-known supplier that sells on eBay.

As you may have already noticed previously above, they don't quite fit... So, Michel did what he does best and makes something many of us would not dare tackle, and makes it work. He measured 3 times and cut once, and I am very pleased with his efforts. The bracket that held this piece as well as the 3 center gauges had seen better decades, so we fixed these problem spots and put everything back together. Baby step progress!