News

My Story - 46567

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by OttoB, Mar 22, 2015.

1. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    The car gets used very often, which is a blessing for me as I get to enjoy it that much more... Since having finished making the car roadworthy several years ago by now, the bumpers had seen signs of use. So, in they went for a re-do and I am incredibly pleased how they came out - damn near perfect! Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

Schumi likes this.
  2. RicSinger

RicSinger Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2016
    San Diego California
    Full Name:
    Ricardo Singer
    Congratulations on this massive undertaking.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

3. Ashman

Ashman Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed Owner

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    It's great to see you really enjoying the fruits of your labors! Many happy miles and smiles in the New Year!

OttoB likes this.
  4. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    #279 OttoB, Dec 29, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
    Thank you kindly for all the support and genuinely cool comments - that goes to everyone! When I bought this car, this very specific and particular Ferrari, it was a culmination/combination of what I thought, in my mind, was the best of both worlds... Who would have thought that years later, not one but two books would have been published about the true world/life circumstances that are inextricably intertwined about compromises racers and owners in the past alike that sought out a way to continue enjoying these magnificent vehicles once trouble arose with some component or another? These books address how some of the storied and rather historical racing Ferraris, now worth in the 7-8 figures, were once powered by something far removed from Enzo's perception for his machinery.*

I know all too well about 46567's shortcomings, which don't/will never appease everyone - but, I am true car guy through and through, with options and yet, this is one of my favorite cars that I enjoy. So to those in this forum whose opinions would not be flattering to this thread, thank you for your continued restraint and patience. To the others, thank you for accepting and welcoming me for exactly what 46567 is...

*1) https://www.velocetoday.com/bowtie-ferraris-reviewed-by-michael-t-lynch/

*2)https://www.velocetoday.com/remembering-randy-cook/

5. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Among the list of things I had Michel look over on 46567 while at the recent stay was the a/c which we knew had a leak, as it would have to be recharged every 3-4 months. Because we suspected it would be a labor intensive job, we had gotten by with refilling it, although I personally cannot drive a car without working a/c, let alone in Florida and a black one at that.

So, first things first - he injected a fluorescent dye into the system which would yield the source(s) of the leak. Well, the pics speak for themselves where deep into the firewall, the OEM compressor valve was leaking, as were some of the hoses and the compressor as well.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Once he disconnected the expansion valve, I went on the hunt for a replacement one as mine was shot. But, I either could not find it, or was it too prohibitively pricey and/or I had undermined Michel's MacGyver skills!

You can see where the valve had been in the same spot for all 35+ years and all the dye around it. Once he disassembled it, Michel opted to fabricate a new replacement gasket after cleaning everything off. He cut out the new pieces for both ends and put it back together. New hose clamps were fabricated to ensure no more leaks and then pressure tested as well. Suffice it to say that the a/c blows so dang cold now in the lowest setting, that I either am driving with only the rear a/c on or windows down - for the record, this also happens to be coolest time of the year in Florida as well. But, I am glad that the time was finally made to sort out the issue. Because of the hybrid ;) power plant on the car, I opted not to show the leaking compressor along with a shiny new one that works better than excellent...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

7. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    My car gets used, and often! However, everything that I normally drive it to around my neck of the woods is situated 10-20 minutes away from where I live. Below are pictures depicting the recent condition of the bolts on the 2 piece custom wheels made by Image Wheels UK -https://www.imagewheels.co.uk. for me that were originally built in 2013 shortly after I bought my car.

Inasmuch as I have been so pleased about the fit, finish, and aesthetics of the wheels, which in my opinion help define the character of 46567, I could not help but notice how the bolts started to fade out. I could not point my finger as to the culprit, although likely due to not perhaps the best chemicals used by the car wash people (hand wash always) over the years.

Upon my notification to Image, they sent me improved, double plated screws to replace the worn ones at once! Michel once again was called for the tedious work and the efforts were well worth it, as evidenced in the last 2 pics... I highly recommend checking Image Wheels out if you are even considering aftermarket wheels for any of your other cars, as the variety is rather impressive!

Attached Files:

8. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Man alive... this pandemic has affected all of us in more ways we could have ever imagined, eh? I mean, talk about hindsight from only six (6) months ago and how our lives have forever been changed!

So, here are pics of 46567 from an event I attended locally at Palm Beach International Raceway ("PBIR" -http://www.racepbir.com ) at Brian Redman's annual Targa 66 event ( https://www.gorace.com ) from when the world had not gone to s**t just a few months ago! Its been the same racetrack where Cavallino has hosted track day every year it has taken place. The staff at the racetrack must have assumed I was either a racer or affiliated with a team when I pulled up, as they never asked me for identification or anything, so I drove past the regular parking and into the pits.

In all honesty, its the highlight of the year for me as I am immersed in old machinery, mostly from overseas and those who have seen my thread about Ferrari Pics of other cars (https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/ferrari-pics-but-not-necessarily-365-400-412.514429/ ), will have seen some pictures I took from past events. I attend the historics at Daytona and Sebring (and many other events) as well when I can.

So, whereas I mostly take pictures of the race cars and the cool ones that others drove to the event (to be posted at the other thread when time permits), here are some of the old horse looking not too bad... And then, there's a silver version of the Champion of Champions!

Attached Files: