430 - My Scuderia brake journey | FerrariChat

430 My Scuderia brake journey

Discussion in '360/430' started by SHAG, Jul 8, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SHAG

SHAG Karting

Jun 1, 2015
    Colorado USA
    I purchased a 2008 Scuderia (9k miles on it) about 2.5 years & 4k miles ago and fell in love with the car with the exception of the brakes. I have owned several Porsche GT cars and was spoiled with their stopping power.

First, I bought a set of Pagid RSC1s to hopefully give myself an upgrade and was very disappointed with the brakes. I'm not sure if my disks were glazed over or what but I didn't feel more than a 5% upgrade.

Second, I brought a set Essex Designed AP Racing 2-piece Competition J Hook Discs
    (https://www.essexparts.com/my-vehicle/2008/Ferrari/F430%20Scuderia/All) and and paired them with Ferodo DS2500 pads. The car was a little better at stopping but still did not have the initial bite or good modulation. I was unable to engage abs on the car if that tells you anything.

My third and probably most important move I made was getting Essex Parts to send me Ferodo DS11.1 pads for the front. (I will replace the rears with them when the time comes). For the first time ever, I can engage the abs and my tires (PS4S) are my limiting factor in stopping. Modulation is better but still not quite P-GT level.
    I called essex parts at 704-824-6030 to order them and they were easy to work with.

My last modification I did was brake lines. I ended up ordering Goodridge stainless steel braided brake lines from Litchfield Motorshttps://www.litchfieldmotors.com/shop/ferrari/f430/scuderia/4-3-v8-scuderia/brakes-4-3-v8-scuderia/goodridge-brake-hose-kit-64/. I not finally have a much more linear brake petal feel and the car has transformed to as good of brakes as I've used in any car. The petal feel is very nice and I have complete confidence in the stopping power of my brakes.

I have a set of Trofeo R on order and will throw them on either early spring or the day I get them. I'm really not sure which. I have been helped by other companies that I did not buy from. These folks either educated me or sent me in a direction which has let to me being happy with my setup. Thank you to Tom Frederico (MOVIT), Roger Lubeck (StopTech), and Tech-na-fit (not sure who it was I talked to but they helped me greatly in getting the brake lines I needed. I hope this is helpful to anyone else who loves their Scud but hates their brakes.

Sean

2. turboixxi

turboixxi Rookie

Oct 5, 2016
    CA
    Same here! Driving around town, the brakes are fine. I have not engaged ABS, so maybe i'm not stepping on the brakes hard enough. The brake pedal travel seems to be as far as it goes. My indy says the brake fluid is fine, I may have them change the brake lines on the next service.

Do the Ferodo DS11.1 pads squeal a lot more than OEM pads? I have only tried Ferodo DS2500 on another car.

3. kane00

kane00 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 4, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Brakes on these cars have always been a problem. It's the lines and the fluid. Had them go out on me on the track. FBH Challenge mechanic was right there to explain it. Lines and fluid.

4. SHAG

SHAG Karting

Jun 1, 2015
    Colorado USA
    I would 100% recommend changing lines. The DS11.1. squeak a little but I don't drive around town. Most of my driving is on windy mountain roads and I'm pretty hard on brakes.

I run RBF660 and flush every year.

5. Ahtim

Ahtim Karting

Nov 8, 2018
    HK/China/England
    Full Name:
    W
    Hi Shag, regarding the brake hose upgrade, did you change to the whole line (including the fixed line to the caliper?) or did you only change the flexible bit?
    I ordered a set of rsc3 and rsc2 and I will see how it goes

6. turboixxi

turboixxi Rookie

Oct 5, 2016
    CA
    430 Scuderia owners - Would the brake fluid reservoir cap be causing the issue some of us are having?

I tried entering my vin but doesn't show up as part of the campaign yet