My Portofino journey | FerrariChat

My Portofino journey

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Y not, Jul 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Y not

Y not Karting

Sep 22, 2018
    Full Name:
    G2
    Let me start by saying a huge thanks to everyone that posts on this forum...massively useful for newbies to the community like myself.

Thought it would be fun to document my ownership journey as a thread. All responses and suggestions welcome to get the most immersive experience in Ferrari and these simply stunning vehicles. There will be some European road trips along the way....

Journey so far:-
    1. As a kid I wanted a garage with Porsche and Ferrari in it. And to own a sweet shop. So that’s why my cars are usually bright yellow, riviera blue, bright green...I was saving the red slot....
    2. I hired 488 and tried the car out on a great run into Death Valley with the kind and welcoming owners club in Las Vegas. The guys were great...the car not quite right for my needs now....
    3. Also drove 430, 458 and 488 at Exotics Racing in LV. Great fun on their little track.
    4. The Portofino turned my head as a great road trip car that my wife will drive. We wanted a drop-top for the 3 days it’s not raining in the uk and or course for high days and holidays driving trips.
    5. We test drove some dealerships (decided on Lovett’s).....and the Porto a few times Including an event in Gstaad, which was great fun but a little short on seat time. We did get to meet a great group of owners though..
    6. The dealership sorted an extended loan, but then really pulled out the stops to get a car prepped when Ferrari NE asked for their demo to put on a stand at Goodwood FoS on the one weekend I wanted it...they took a car from inventory that was awaiting wheels away at prep, fitted a set of tyres to different alloys in inventory and got us sorted..all overnight.
    7. My atelier in Maranello is likely Feb/March
    So my deposit has been placed and provisional estimate is late spring....more to follow.....

Any recommendations on how to fill the time before delivery gratefully received (reading every post on the entire forum is a given)...... Also any suggestions on things that made your journey special....

Oh...and my username...remember when you were a kid in the sweetshop and your parents said you could not have all the sweets...well my response was “Y NOT !”....

2. NGom

NGom Rookie

Aug 5, 2018
    UK and France
    Full Name:
    Nicholas Gomersall
    We purchased our Portofino last September from Dick Lovett in Swindon and have been very pleased with the service we have received.

Y not likes this.
  3. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I am always amazed at the emotional intensity of peoples ownership experiences, and even their before ownership experiences. It sounds like you are going to be an owner that truly appreciates their car. I have always liked seeing that and reading about peoples thoughts and feelings. You can get yourself some nice driving shoes, get custom made floor mats or read the owners manual a couple dozen times. Hopefully that will keep you satisfied until the car arrives. Please don't buy everything that says Ferrari on it, (a t-shirt is not so bad), I always find that just a bit odd. Good luck on your journey.

4. Y not

Y not Karting

Sep 22, 2018
    Full Name:
    G2
    Good suggestions. Thank you. Is the manual available as a pdf?

I’ve booked some more track time in my current cars to keep me busy as well.

5. GlowRed

GlowRed Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2012
    West Midlands, UK
    Glad to read you are going to Maranello for your Atelier, it's definitely worth it.

I would suggest going to the dealer beforehand and playing with their configurator to get a basic idea of what you want. The online configurator is not very good.

I went with an idea of what I did and didn't want but once I was specing my car up at Maranello I added a number of options that were not available from the dealer and also changed a couple of others.

Chizz, tommygun64 and Y not like this.
  6. tommygun64

tommygun64 Karting

Mar 24, 2018
    Europe
    Full Name:
    A.
    can you give us an idea of what options did you find there that were not available on your local dealer?

7. GlowRed

GlowRed Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2012
    West Midlands, UK
    Mine was an early car. The following list was not an option at the dealers at the time. They are now available but Ferrari have added a number of new options since I ordered my car:

Daytona seats
    Square pattern seats
    Grey or black rear bumper
    Ventilated Seats

I also opted for the following that I believe is Atelier only:

Painted shields
    Leather inserts in upper and lower area of the door panels
    Leather inserts in between the stitching on the central arm rest
    Prancing horse stitched on the rear wall area
    Atelier dedication plate

Y not and tommygun64 like this.
  8. Y not

Y not Karting

Sep 22, 2018
    Full Name:
    G2

GlowRed and tommygun64 like this.
  9. GlowRed

GlowRed Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2012
    West Midlands, UK
    Similar spec to my car (Rosso exterior with black interior). Have fun at your Atelier appointment.

Y not likes this.
  10. Y not

Y not Karting

Sep 22, 2018
    Full Name:
    G2
    Just had the dealer call. Atelier booked in for early feb, dinner at Opera 2, factory tour and museum...it’s going to be a long wait.

Caeruleus11 and tommygun64 like this.
  11. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Make sure to eat at Montana as well. :)

SB27 and Y not like this.
  12. SamRo

SamRo Rookie

Dec 17, 2018
    Great stuff! Don’t leave us hanging though - did you ever buy the sweet shop?

Y not likes this.
  13. Y not

Y not Karting

Sep 22, 2018
    Full Name:
    G2
    So my Atelier date was confirmed a couple of weeks ago.

Today SF announced the 2020 F1 car release date is the same day....hoping my date does not change ...fingers crossed.

14. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    What interior/exterior colors, options, etc. are you thinking?
    I have seen other threads for Tailor Made - not sure if that is same as Atelier - and the one piece of consistent advice seems to be to have some idea of a baseline spec before headings to Maranello.

Very exciting. Please take lots of pics and let us live vicariously through you! :)

Congrats.

T

p.s. Yes, please, don't keep us hanging on the "sweet shop" dream! ;)

15. Y not

Y not Karting

Sep 22, 2018
    Full Name:
    G2
    Didn’t buy the sweet shop. Went an alternative route a few years back and invested in the company behind El Dorado... any profit has been well and truly drunk though (that investment in sugar was a double benefit).

Spec is still changing daily...but the driving / emotional interface bits are 90% there I think Magneride, carbon wheel with lights and carbon paddles as it’s the bits you touch that also matter etc, sports exhaust (not sure if the sports can be had in black or of it’s only the standards in black ? Not even sure if it changes the sound so might go aftermarket with the usual suspects), there don’t appear to be many options on the mechanicals. Fun stuff - passenger display, 20” wheels (think I will be asking for something a bit different here).

External Colours are “narrowed” down to Scuderia red given the clash of dates (and well it is my first) or Avio Met or any of the others...in other words no idea yet.

Internal colours, yep there will be plenty of that as I have a few ideas on stuff that is not in the standard choices :)

Caeruleus11 and tomc like this.
  16. Y not

Y not Karting

Sep 22, 2018
    Full Name:
    G2
    Sublime dinner at Opera O2 last night. Great food and place.

Having a smoke and a coffee on the terrace before heading into the atelier.

Today is a good day! Image Unavailable, Please Login

Loxo and Caeruleus11 like this.
  17. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Gorgeous scenery!
    T

18. Y not

Y not Karting

Sep 22, 2018
    Full Name:
    G2
    The day was very full.

Morning started with a factory v12 and v8 build line walk. V8 line is only producing Pistas (saw some very individual ones including a UK Bright blue with White and red stripes and a spider in Metallic green Matt paint job). The V12 line is producing a mix of superfast and Portofinos etc whilst the Pistas are finished. One highlight was a Scuderia 2007 Superfast that really stood out. Monday SP1/2 line was alive with vibrant designs, so much automotive eye candy.

Really fun Atelier ended up with two specs for final consideration once a couple of options are confirmed possible by the design team/ factory. Will post renders once I have them. One is red..one is not.

Managed to have a poke around a Roma Which was driving around the factory areas.

Lunch was at Montana, really good food in an atmosphere buzzing with anticipation for the SF1000 launch.

tomc likes this.
  19. Y not

Y not Karting

Sep 22, 2018
    Full Name:
    G2
    Afternoon full factory tour was great. I saw a piece of blue leather on the samples table that had us calling back to Raluca to change one of the designs :rolleyes:.

Really impressed with the focus from the factory team, you can see the passion around the place.

Museum was practically empty. We spent way too long dreaming in the trophy room. had to hightail it to the airport just in time to catch the flight home.

The trip was everything I wanted. Bonus was 18 degree bright sunshine after we had left the uk in the middle of a storm and 6 degrees.

russellmcg likes this.
  20. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Wow. I wish we had 18 C and sun here. It's been UK weather since Sunday.

Glad you enjoyed your trip. Congrats and can't wait to see your spec...T

Y not likes this.
  21. Y not

Y not Karting

Sep 22, 2018
    Full Name:
    G2
    We did :D

22. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    #22 Il Co-Pilota, Feb 14, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    TM and Atelier is not the same, not even close. TM is something you need to be approved for, and there's a minimum you must agree to spend on special and custom options.

Atelier is for everyone, and it is free. Yes you can do it in a few places, but why would you do it anywhere but at the factory? All you have to pay for, is your trip to Italy and your stay.
    What's nice about Atelier is the fact that you have a car there, as well as more samples to see. There are a few paint sames that would normally not be at the dealers, but the big difference is the selection of interior materials. There's a lot more there than at any dealer. Same goes for trim, such as different types of CF etc. Add to that various extras you can also choose, that has trickled down from TM. The neat thing about the Maranello Atelier is the level of expertise. They know what can be done, and will unlike your uninformed dealer, rarely tell you "no". Fact is that due to the TM programme, so many things have now become available in the regular Atelier, that many whom thought they needed a TM car to get all the stuff they wanted, realize they can get most, if not all of it via the Atelier.

A suggestion for an Atelier spec Porto.

Rosso Maranello w. Argento wheels and calipers.
    Cuoio Toscana semi aniline leather interior w. Testa di Moro semi aniline leather on dash, upper part, floor and inner door panels - basically everything that would normally be black should be Testa, along with the mentioned bits. Add diamond or quilted swishing to seats, roofliner, door inserts, trans tunnel and floor mats.
    Finish off by having all interior trim bits painted high gloss Grigio Ferro, and get a gloss version of bordeaux stitching and bob's your uncle.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

23. Y not

Y not Karting

Sep 22, 2018
    Full Name:
    G2
    This is very true. But hearing “welll, you can ....Buuutt...” whilst Raluca furrows a brow and looks at you is an experience in itself.

She was brilliant and the finished designs were a lot more cohesive based on her input. She knew what works on the trim painting and the likely clashes where the paint shows different on the various interior materials.

*Apologies for the poor attempt at typing an accent above.

24. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Indeed.

Next time you can mess with their heads a bit. Watch the facial expression go from “welll, you can ....Buuutt...” to "Cazzo fei" or "Vaffanculo" as you explain that red leather with green accents on a Rosso Dino car will look terrific...:D

25. Y not

Y not Karting

Sep 22, 2018
    Full Name:
    G2