My newly acquired F40 replica | Page 8 | FerrariChat

My newly acquired F40 replica

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by F40 replica guy, Dec 12, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F40 replica guy

F40 replica guy Karting

Dec 9, 2005
    Portland
    Full Name:
    Brian Jeremiah
  2. F40 replica guy

F40 replica guy Karting

Dec 9, 2005
    Portland
    Full Name:
    Brian Jeremiah
    Thanks FD .. I am seriously bummed about all of the overspray also .. you can see in one of the pics how they dind't tape behind the louvres and paint went behind and onto various stuff underneath the body. When I got there half of one of the back tires was yellow LOL. it was pretty thin and wore off on the drive home .. but it just shows a lack of talent/concern

3. ^@#&

^@#& F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Feb 27, 2005
    are you gonna get new tires and rims?? it would look even better. that is the only thing i think is wrong with it

4. Miura Jota

Miura Jota F1 Rookie

May 26, 2004
    Toluca , Mexico
    Full Name:
    Martin
    ... So far it doesn't look as bad as I expected ...
    but original CARELLO round button tail lights aren't as hard to get, are they?

P.S. is it me or that thing doesn't have pop up headlights ? hence the guy is ashamed of taking frontal pics ?

5. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    The wheel gap scares me.

6. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
  7. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    I agree..... with so many of the replicas they only put in a half a$$ effort. The stick a crappy wing and a few Ferrari badge stickers on a Fiero and call it good. It looks like this thing has a full body kit....... I can't really tell what the paint looks like but I imagine that a poor paint job is pretty frustrating. I guess you could always do what I do with my Vette (which has a good paint) and never wash it and be sure to park it inside whenever it rains so none of the dirt will wash off. Seriously though I dunno what to recomend for the paint..... a friend of mine just got his truck repainted for $400 and it looks great from ten feet away.

I'm looking forward to seeing it............. maybe we can get that crazy old man Marty to bring his 430 out.

8. F40 replica guy

F40 replica guy Karting

Dec 9, 2005
    Portland
    Full Name:
    Brian Jeremiah
    those are 15" wheels and since the body is so much wider than the original there is ahugfe backspacing to the rims .. so no commercial options were avialable. I am having some wheels made for me by
    http://www.billetwheel.com/cgi/wheels.cgi?cmd=show_image&path=*****in_Series&img=13&tn=1

They will be 17" and fill up the gap quite a bit better. the paint looks good at a few feet aaway but I was half expecting a good job that people could look at fairly closely.

9. F40 replica guy

F40 replica guy Karting

Dec 9, 2005
    Portland
    Full Name:
    Brian Jeremiah
    #184 F40 replica guy, Dec 12, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Is the overspray the problem? I have never had a car painted but from what I understand those Earl Sheib paint jobs aren't that bad but the biggest thing is they don't do a lot of prep/mask work. I though it was maybe all runny or something...... the overspray is realy easy to deal with. Take it to a pressure wash place and spray the wheel wells out and let it dry real good in the garage. Then mask the fenders off with some masking tape and newspaper and spray paint it black.

11. stugots

stugots Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2004
    PDX
    Full Name:
    B T L
    yep, I must say that looks decent!

In all seriousness I have a couple of business cards for detailers on my desk at work, I will forward them on to you in the AM-

I will look for you around town-

12. F40 replica guy

F40 replica guy Karting

Dec 9, 2005
    Portland
    Full Name:
    Brian Jeremiah
    A detailer is the ifrst place I am going tomorrow .. maybe they can cut and buff this crap into a ood piece of paint work?

13. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Seriously? I bet you could just get some wheel spacers for a lot less $$$$$ Heck, even if you couldn't find already on the market you could just get some made for not too much, there is a waterjet/EDM shop in Clackamas that I have used for some custom stuff that would be able to make some easy.

14. stugots

stugots Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2004
    PDX
    Full Name:
    B T L
    As long as the clear is thick enough they can work miracles with some wet sanding and polish

15. F40 replica guy

F40 replica guy Karting

Dec 9, 2005
    Portland
    Full Name:
    Brian Jeremiah
    Well I thought of spacers but the extra width really concerns me as far as levelrage goes with bending the bolts and whatnot. Les Schwab said that they could get me spacers but it would be better performance wise to have the right wheels and I am only paying $329 per custom wheel!! They are pretty decent looking wheels also.

16. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast

I don't think the problem is so much with the bolts as it is with the wheel bearings...... It sounds like you probably will be keeping the car for a while so getting wheels you like are probably not a bad idea.

17. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Looks decent enough... Just got to get rid of the overspray.

18. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Damn.. The TR must be pretty new to me back then.

19. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    The 328 pic was Feb 04 and the TR pic was Aug 04..... Rick, Jordan, Carb and I hung out at your place after karting. You took Carb and I for rides. I love the car, the color is great and the two tone interior is nice...... if you ever want to sell :) BTW - Are you driving Armen's GTO in your profile pic?

20. RussianM3_dude

RussianM3_dude F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2004
    Switzerland/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Nikolai Petroff
    I HATE when people say "Even If I was rich I wouldn't buy it". IF (big IF) you'll ever get rich, you'll run so fast to your local Ferrari dealer you'll melt rubber off the soles of your shoes. Since you are not, you can't vouch how you'll behave when you have a couple of million smackaroos in your bank account. I'd sell Jebus for that kind of money.

The point of ferrari is the engine (Enzo Ferrari said "I sella you tha engine and throwa tha resta fa free.")
    Saying you prefer replica F car to the real deal because of maintanence etc is like saying you prefer a Picasso/Shagal/Matis etc print to the real thing because laser printing is the way of the future and besides paint degrades and can't be exposed to sunlight.

Or that you would rather sleep with a replica Adriana Lima because the real one gets periods and besides real vag*inas are icky.

21. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    what a freakin' POS!!!

22. mark328

mark328 Guest

Jul 30, 2005
    Mi
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Since your putting so much money into this 1985 Fiero to make it look like something that it's not please s#!tcan that 6 cyl. and drop a small block V-8 into it this way it will at least have the get up and go.

23. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I agree that using original lights etc is a good idea. However I was surprised to see how difficult this could be for the F40. The usual suspects (ferraripartsexchange and reoriginals) don't seem to carry any for the F40. Ferrari UK perhaps?

24. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Found a source along with a nice interior for the Fiero:

http://www.kitcar.com/CR/CRInterior.html

Looks like the F40 uses the same tail lights as the 308/328. Didn't realize that.

25. F40 replica guy

F40 replica guy Karting

Dec 9, 2005
    Portland
    Full Name:
    Brian Jeremiah

Yes, thanks. I have seen that page and it is on my wish list for the future. I also want to throw a 350 in it as well. It has some power now but not near as much as it would have with a V8.