My newly acquired F40 replica | Page 4 | FerrariChat

My newly acquired F40 replica

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by F40 replica guy, Dec 12, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Uh, I hope you realize that the Kelly Blue Book value on a 1985 Fiero GT with that mileage is right at $1500 if it is in EXCELLENT condition.

So basically when you are in an accident, even a REALLY minor one, the car will be considered totaled.

2. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    I will probably be getting in on the 23rd and leaving on the 1st.... I may catch something earlier than the 23rd though

3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Good point, but you can have the car appraised and insured at a special value based on the cost it would take to build it.

4. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    $400k

And that includes a lifetime supply of red shoe polish!

5. F40 replica guy

F40 replica guy Karting

Dec 9, 2005
    Portland
    Full Name:
    Brian Jeremiah

WHOA there nut job... you got the wrong guy to send your capitalist message out to... you are preaching to the choir. I am a staunch republican and have no problem with people spending money. What I said was for ME it was wrong. Some people say guilt is a ridiculous thing .. but I say guilt is your mind telling you you have gone against your own values. When you go against your own values it shows you are weak and that something is wrong. In my value structure I think spending that much money for a conversation piece in my garage is wrong. Other do not have the same belief and that is cool for them. But I won't go against what I feel is right so I can have a nice car with a V12, rather than a nice car with a V6. I will however buy an aftermarket body that looks like an Italian exotic design, which obviously goes against what you believe. And if you are trying to convince me that buying a Ferarri from Ron Tonkin (my local dealer) and letting him profit off of it so he can buy another car to add to his gargantuan collection is more philanthropic than sending money to folks who actually make a difference for others in the world (not the bad charities but the fiscally responsible ones) you can save your keystrokes. While i am not suggesting people need to give all but a scant amount to charity, it is my calling in life to do just that. It makes me happy and I thrive on it. I love to make money .. but I love giving it away more.

6. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    Exactly, I explained why I disagree, but have no problem with you seeing things differently, hence my last sentence.

BTW, I love how "giving it away" is worded... you make it sound like you're in a blimp throwing Franklins through the window! LOL

On a more serious note, you will find that for most folks here, a car is much more than a conversation piece ... quite the contrary, if we look at the amount of people who keep their Ferrari more-or-less secret ...

7. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    yeah well most people have never met my sister so if i turned up at a party and got it on with her everyone would just think i'd scored some chick. :rolleyes:

you can rent it out as a prestige car maybe: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?p=134879273#post134879273

8. F40 replica guy

F40 replica guy Karting

Dec 9, 2005
    Portland
    Full Name:
    Brian Jeremiah
    I don't disagree with whatever purpose someone wants to use it for. If they wanted to plaster a big sign with their photo on it saying "I am super-awesome look at me" it would be OK with me ... kinda stupid .. but still OK with me. many of the people who buy Ferarris are self made and I totally respect that .. daddies money I do not respect but people who make it on their own .... as long as the sacrifice to family and friends and beliefs wasn't too great, I commend them big time!

9. mark328

mark328 Guest

Jul 30, 2005
    Mi
    Full Name:
    Mark
    If you love giving it away i'll take some I could use some charity. I also help people and they love me when they need me, but hate me when they don't.
    And like I said watch who you give your hard earned money to because the one organization I ran across the leader had a Ferrari and several other nice cars.

10. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I have never inheireted money (I wish I could!). But why do people look down on others if it is Daddy's money? Should I think worse of a person just because he was lucky enough to have a wealthy father?

Sure I can respect a guy more if he is self made, but I don't disrespect a guy just because he is lucky.

11. F40 replica guy

F40 replica guy Karting

Dec 9, 2005
    Portland
    Full Name:
    Brian Jeremiah
    I said I totally respect self made people .. I then said I do not totally respect daddies money. Not that I disrepect I just don't have the same view of old money as I do new money.

12. F40 replica guy

F40 replica guy Karting

Dec 9, 2005
    Portland
    Full Name:
    Brian Jeremiah
    But then again who am I to talk .. I don't have old or new money hehe

13. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    So, if you won the $150,000,000 jackpot you wouldn't get an F40?
    Given that the VAST majority of lottery winners go broke within 5 years, I have a lot more respect for someone who holds onto an inheritence and grows it for a much longer period of time. No?

14. F40 replica guy

F40 replica guy Karting

Dec 9, 2005
    Portland
    Full Name:
    Brian Jeremiah
    if I won $150M after taxes I would set up several multi-million dollar trusts for different legit charities.. where they take out the earnings proceeds monthly. There would be a clause that the principal amount could not be drawn on and would never go down unless the initial investment went sour. I would buy a slightly larger house with some property close to Portland .. probably in the $500-$700k range. i would buy a quality $60k Lambo replica, I would probably also try to find a realistic F50 replica around the same cost. If I couldn't find one I would probably replicate the Enzo but without the emblems. The Enzo is one of the finest body styles I have ever seen, although I do like the new Bugatti Veyre or whatever it is called. I would also buy a motorhome and a truck to haul junk around with.

I would then buy rental properties such as apartment buildings and live off of that and spend my life tending to my numerous charitable trusts and my real estate investments. I would also start a small business for me to stick my head into and cause trouble a few times a week .. a mans gotta have a hobby you know.

If it was $300M I would buy an island and start a youth camp for troubled teens all over the US. I would fly them in and they would have week long camps learning to work as a team for jungle survival and team dependance building games. I would teach them the importance of others succeeding and the effect that helping others reach their goals has on them. That sort of thing.

but to answer your question .. no I wouldn't buy the real thing.

15. stugots

stugots Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2004
    PDX
    Full Name:
    B T L
    WHOA there yourself...

Who are you to make assumptions about Mr. Tonkin's philanthropy? Just because it isn't splashed all ove the press I would guess by your uneducated comment that you have no idea what the Tonkin's do for charity. I would be a little careful here with your assumptions.

Believe it or not it is possible to be philanthropic and gather personal property, particularly when you have a lifetime to do it.

16. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    For 60K, why would you buy a replica? For a little bit more, you could buy a Diablo or Countach. Why would you buy a replica? I don't understand.

Also, why spend 11k on a Fiero based F40? You could get a 308 in the $20's. I guess I don't understand the appeal?

17. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

GROSS.

Gag me with a spoon.

18. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    You know the F40 is a V8 right?

19. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Did I read this correctly?

You spent $6,555 for a 1985 Pontiac Fiero with a fake F40 body on it and now you are spending apx. $4,000 more on new paint, interior, etc... to fix it up? Is that correct?

$11K (or more) spent on a twenty year old Fiero with a fake Ferrari body? Does it have a Pontiac V6, or is it a 4 cylinder with an automatic trans?

I can think of a lot of nice classic sports cars that one could buy for $11K and use as a daily driver (and still get plenty of attention too). A nice Alfa Romeo Spider, Triumph TR-6 and there's plenty of other choices that would hold there value well and not depreciate like a replica/fake kit car will.

For a little bit more money, you could actually buy a REAL FERRARI (308 GT4 or a Mondial Coupe, maybe others).

Sorry, but I have never understood why anyone would want to own a "fake" car, when there are so many nice "real" cars available.

20. fanatic1

fanatic1 Guest

Nov 1, 2003
    columbus
    Full Name:
    philip
    good lord, are you gonna post pics of the car or what????????

21. F40 replica guy

F40 replica guy Karting

Dec 9, 2005
    Portland
    Full Name:
    Brian Jeremiah

I never said anything about his philanthropy... what are you talking about? I used him as an example of a dealership owner not a charitable org.

As far as why I would choose a replica for the same or similar money. They are more dependable and much easier to repair "on the road" it is much easier to bring them out and not have to worry about a scratch on a $200k +/- car. A tuned 350 will bring me most anywhere a Countach will and just as quick. There are like 2 million people who can repair them also. You guys must be thinking of an old Sterling kit car .. or a Bradley GT kit car .. because these newer ones look very nice and are a very good quality if you get the right one.

22. ^@#&

^@#& F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Feb 27, 2005
    just curious, do you like ferraris?

23. mark328

mark328 Guest

Jul 30, 2005
    Mi
    Full Name:
    Mark
    He gave the pictures to charity!

24. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    What you don't get is that you could get a REAL Ferrari 308 that will be just as reliable as that old Fiero. In fact, if the 308 is well sorted I guarantee it to be more reliable.

Not to mention the fact that the Ferrari will not depreciate nearly as much as the $11k you are spending on a $1500 car. Think about it.

And who cares if the 308 gets a few scratches on the road? The money you will save in depreciation costs alone would be more than enough to keep the real deal looking and functioning perfectly.

25. F40 replica guy

F40 replica guy Karting

Dec 9, 2005
    Portland
    Full Name:
    Brian Jeremiah
    I do like Ferarris. I have wanted a Testarossa since I was young.

Pictures are coming forthwith. In about 6-7 hours I guess.