My new ride MTB | FerrariChat

My new ride MTB

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by beast, Apr 22, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Just got back from the bike shop picking up my new full suspension mountain Bike that I cannot wait to get out onto the trail and put in lots of miles this summer.

Trance X 29er 1 (2013)

I got it in a XL frame size the sweet thing is of all the 29ers that I stand over height would have forced me into a M size frame. The XL frame has a 28" stand over that works perfect for my 32" inseam yet the long top tube works for the rest of my 6'4" frame.

I will post shortly some of my adventures that I will record on Strava

2. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
  3. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Nice bike Scotty.

Rode the 29er to work this morning and the amount of effort to climb over 26" wheels is night and day. I rode a short cut home for lunch and managed to climb and take drops that my hardtail refused to clear.

I have a feeling the 26" hardtail Trek 3700 disc is going collect dust or be used more on paved than off road.

4. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    I need to get back into mountain biking. It won't be this year for sure as I'm focused more on the road cycling portion but I would love to get back into it in the near future.

I still have my Norco Wolverine but it is in rough shape and it would cheaper for me to pick up a new bike vs fixing this one.

5. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    I don't understand it--I am way faster on my 29, which is heavier than my 26. I get the easier rolling over obstacles, but on most of my common loop rides in central Oregon I am about 10 minutes per hour faster. Plus, I just don' seem as gassed.

S

6. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Scotty I think it has to do with the momentum that gets built up once you get the bigger wheels rolling that makes them faster.

I did a 1 mile paved climb of 140 feet yesterday afternoon in 6:36 my best on the 26er was 7:05. On the 26 i found that I stayed in a consistent gear while on the 29er I was up shifting throughout the climb. On top of that the tires on the 29 is a more aggressive knob pattern while the 26 has a more pavement friendly tread to it.

7. norcal2

norcal2 F1 Veteran

Ive bought a CF Santa Cruz Tallboy 29er last year, I like it ok, in certain conditions...I just built up a new Ventana Zeus 650b 27.5 I like it a lot better then my 29er, nice mix between 26 and 29, I now have all 3! It depends on the trails I am riding for which bike i will be using..

8. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Momentum.

I had a Marin something or other that was too light for long cruises. It was like trying to pedal a feather around...nomentum.

It was great for log jumping, though.

9. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    I just got one of these:

Ion CX - Trek Bicycle

Shoots the middle between MTB and Road.

I have been doing long rides on the levees down here, and don't really need the MTB for that kind of riding.

So far I love it.

10. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    Got a Anthem x1 29. Love it. Put over 220 rides on it In a year .

11. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    A month in with the new bike and I am still loving this bike so far I have put 260 miles on it including 110 this week M-F.

This weekend I am hoping to put in another 60-80 miles hopefully the trails will not be shut down due to mud as it is raining quite hard here this evening.

12. Noel

Noel F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I'm shopping a 29er right now, but have never ridden one. I have a standard 26 now, how would you guys describe the difference? when is the 26 better?

13. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Not certain there is a situation. I have high end 26er and 29er from the same company, and I have ridden them back to back on the same trail. The 26er is lighter. It may be slightly more nimble (especially in very tight conditions). Because of the slighter lighter weight, it is slighter easier to do things like lock the front brake and bunny hope the rear wheel (to get around a tight switchback, for example). The 26er may (in my hands) be slightly easier to bunny hope over obstacles (downed trees, for example).

I'm much faster on the 29er. I role over stuff that is hard (or impossible) on my 26er. As I posted earlier, I don't get it. The 29er should be worse uphill (more weight, and harder to accelerate) but it seems better overall. Some have posted that a 27.5 is a great compromise--it probably is.

But, at 51 years old, I'll take something that gets me over obstacles better versus a few ounces or even a few pounds.

14. Noel

Noel F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Thanks for the write up. I think that since I'm based in the Midwest then I should stick with the 26 inch. No mountains to bomb down.

15. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Except that I am faster up hill (and do most of my riding on what is essentially cross country terrain, except that there may be 1000 to 2000 feet of total elevation gain (measured by a Garmin) on my rides.

Where I was romanced by a 29er was actually a rental bike in Tuscon, AZ--rode the Fantasyland trail system--which is flat (it goes into and out of washes, but you get the point). 29er I rode was front suspension only and it was AMAZING. You may ultimately decide on a 26er, or even a 27.5er, but you owe it to yourself to give a 29er a try.

16. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Noel,

The first thing I noticed with the 29er was it took a bit more to get rolling but once started it takes less effort to keep the pace up. the biggest plus that I noticed was when I had the 29er in the shop for its break in tune up the 26er felt cramped and I felt like my knees were going to strike the bars at any time.

Climbing the 29er takes it hands down.
    Descending it is a toss up but I would take the 29er full suspension over the hard tail 26
    Cornering I honestly think they are the same no difference that I can see.

If looking for a MTB look for the best component spec (More $$) I can tell you that the shifting between my 26 and 29 is like the 26 is a WalMart bike vs a Ferrari with paddle shifters

Best of luck in your search and let us know your adventures on your new ride.

Rob

17. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    Been riding my Felt 26er while my Anthem 29er is in the shop for the last week. A few sections on certain trail feel more nimble with the 26er and the feel is better. Having said that I CAN'T WAIT 'till my 29er is ready.

18. Noel

Noel F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Bought a top fuel 9.9 ssl today.

19. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Nice bike. You should have lots of fun on it.

I just got done putting in 56 miles today. My legs are screaming for a massage right now. :)

20. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    I've always loved the top fuel but never purchased one. Reviews gave it highest ratings for superior design innovation. During the Lance Armstrong days Trek ruled the world as my man did.

21. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Went to Jackson Hole last weekend for opening day and put the 29er thru its paces and had a blast. Here is a video I shot on one of the runs down the bike park. The kid in the Pink towards the end of the vid is my Daughter on her Specialized Myka.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npYTrfgMqzo

22. disastermand

disastermand Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Building a Yeti Arc Carbon w/27.5's as light as possible, Sram XX1, Stans no tubes etc. Will post some photos when complete.