My first ride in a 328..... | FerrariChat

My first ride in a 328.....

Discussion in '308/328' started by Ekasilicon, May 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ekasilicon

Ekasilicon Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2003
    Well, not really my first ride, but my first ride since early 02. I forgot how good those cars sound. Even for a 17 year old car, it is still amazing. The sound of the engine, the exhaust, and how the door sounds so solid when it shuts. Great car. :D

2. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    The Ferrari 328 might not be the fastest nor have a 12 in it, but its one of the best Ferraris ever in my own opinion, I loved mine and many times liked it better than my Testarossa. I will be in the market for a 328GTB very soon.

3. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Fun little cars no? I love them! :)

4. 69stanger

69stanger Rookie

Nov 30, 2003
    although I am a fan of the new ferrari's I strongly feel that the older models like the 328 sound much better than the current ferraris'.

5. flyingboa

flyingboa Formula 3

Nov 27, 2003
    Italy/India
    Full Name:
    Eugenio
    328... A classic that will allways be art in motion.

Ciao

Eugenio

6. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

I have a 348, so I am biased.

I love the looks of the 328 and everything about it. However, when I sat in a 328 coupe I found that there is absolutely NO room in it compared tot he 348. Very little headroom (I am 6 feet tall). visibility seemed poor--the winshield wipers stick way up on the car, which has a high hood as it is. I also thought side viibility was poor, and the car seems way narrowed than my 348.

My overall feeling was "I wish the inside was a little bigger!"

Anyone agree?

7. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Funny you say that, I sat in a 348 and felt it "too large and away from me." If that makes anysense, I like the feeling on the car completely around me as a suit.

BTW I am 6' 3" :)

BTW #2, TRs feel similar to 348s, but damn it I don't care! :)

8. flyingboa

flyingboa Formula 3

Nov 27, 2003
    Italy/India
    Full Name:
    Eugenio
    Just my .02 p.

True, in normal conditions 348 is more roomy. But having experienced a ride on the 348 TS with the top stored behind the seats, I can tell you that 328, in this configuration, allows the seat to be much more rearward than the 348. Being 1.88 meters tall and almost allways driving without the top, for me this is really important.

BTW, I love 348 as well.

Ciao

Eugenio

9. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    328's were the last of "cars you wear". Many people don't like that concept. I have put in about 15K at the wheels of both 328's and 348's and I prefer the 328 (I am 6'). However, I do understand that many people prefer the 348/355 (including my wife). I am not comfortable in either car with the top stowed behind the seats which is one reason why I have a GTB now.

Dave

10. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Yep, although I love my TR, there is just something special about the 328.

11. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    I think it depends on your proportions. I am 6' 4" and I fit in my 308s better than my 348. I had a 92' 348 TS and it was ok but it was tighter. I have been in a few TRs and can barely fit in them. They are too cramped for me.

12. ferrariartist

ferrariartist F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    East of Toronto
    Full Name:
    Grant Thomas
    89 328 GTS ... red on tan... convex wheels... my personal fave....

sigh...

GT

13. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Performance or comfort wise, 328 won't impress you, but it does appeal to your feeling. I still think the body shape of 328 so cool.

14. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    308GTS, what are you talking about? The interior diminsions of a TR are ALL bigger than the 308/328 series:head room, leg room, shoulder room, hip room...everything. Not only can you feel the difference by the seat of the pants, a comparison of the specs on the cars show the TR interior as being larger.

15. Tuco

Tuco Karting

Mar 10, 2004
    Texas
    The 328 is one of the sexiest cars on this planet. Mine fits me like a glove (Im 6ft). Leave it to the Italians to build a car that beautiful and small, and put a V8 in it. Hail to Enzo!

16. pwongd

pwongd Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Thailand
    Full Name:
    pwongd
    The 328 does wrap around you kinda tightly. But I like that in a sports car. I don't know why the thing keeps getting bigger and bigger everytime they introduce a new model. For me, space is supposed to be felt in a luxury sedan, not a sports car!

17. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Because the U.S.A. is Ferrari's biggest market and Americans keep getting bigger and bigger too. I was at my church's AWANA award ceremony last night and could not believe all the fat children there with their fat parents. To top it off, I heard a lot of the fat parents talking about how they were taking their fat kids to Burger King, McDonalds or Brusters ice cream to celebrate after the ceremony! Another reason I believe SUVs have become so popular here too.

18. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    I love the way 308's and 328's look. I also like the fact that they reliable and not too expesive to maintain (for a Ferrari). But....When I sat in the car I felt it was very uncomfortable. Leg room was limited, the pedal offset was too severe, and the pedals were so close together that I dont know if I could properly drive the thing. I am 6'1 large frame, with a size 13 wide foot and as much as I love the 328 I am not sure I could live with it. Well I am sure I could live with it but not after paying 45k. I found the 348/355 interior much more comfortable and it was far from being a huge space. As far as the TRs dimenssions, Winston Goodfellow wrote in Forsa's buyers guide that it was lacking head and leg room. This is the same guy who loves the 328's driving position. Just my 2 cents.

19. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    It's just for this reason that I've been eyeing a Lotus "7". Think metal sleeping bag.

20. Morrie

Morrie Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Sarasota/Asheville
    My other car is a Miata, so the 328 seems very roomy when I get in it. I'm 5"10". I especially like the sight lines from the 328. The low, sloping hood offers very good visibility forward. I don't think visibility to the rear and sides is bad at all, even though I have had my neck fused and have limited head-turning ability. I cut down a Pep Boys curved mirror to fit in the passenger- side housing and it works just fine. I like the lines of the 328 more than any other F-car except the 308.

BTW, I often have people comment on how small the Miata is. I tell them it has wheels, seats and a motor. Why should it be any bigger? I once had a couple wait outside a theater until I returned just to see if I could get in the car. They told me they expected a midget to show up!

With a 328 and a Miata, I think I have two of the finest cars possible. It's hard for me to decide which one I enjoy driving the most.

21. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    OK I'd love some clarification here. I just bought my first Ferrari, a 328, but I've always dreamed of getting a TR. It was said here you prefer the 328 which really puts me in a tizzy....does that mean that I NOW own my dream car? That the 328 is more fulfilling?

Could you please elaborate as to why you like the 328 more? (Aside from the obvious point that you can't pack anything more in a TR than your thoughts)

Thanks!
    Wes

22. joselatour

joselatour Rookie

Jun 6, 2004
    Florida & Costa Rica
    Full Name:
    Jose Latour
    The only Ferrari I owned before was a Mondial QV Cab and this year it was time to make the plunge again. A friend who has a shop had a very beautiful '91 red Testarossa for sale but I wasn't comfortable with a few issues...drove like a dream but there were just a few things that weren't quite right.

As I mulled, a stunning black '87 328 GTS appeared. Wasn't the color I wanted (RC) but, unlike the TR, papers were impeccable, full service, tools, and it had been owned by guys like me: totally anal about details. The car had 24,000 babied miles but drove showroom new.

As "pwongd" said earlier, "The 328 does wrap around you kinda tightly... But I like that in a sports car...For me, space is supposed to be felt in a luxury sedan, not a sports car!" The 328 is not only more affordable and maneuverable, it is an absolute delight and fits my 5'7" frame infinitely better than the TR. Yes, the TR's acceleration was breathtaking but it seemed pondering compared to the nimbleness I felt in the 328. I just prefer it.

And, to be honest, I prefer the comparative discretion of the 328, because I use it for legitimate road travel. The TR is just as "driveable" but I like the "Oh, it's Magnum's car" response the 328 gets and the comfortable oohs and aahs as opposed to the more ostentatious response the TR drew when I took it to St. Augustine. I felt like I was in a friggin' parade. But then again I'm 42. Ten years ago I probably would have said the opposite, right...? (-;

My 2 cents.

23. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Yep, I agree. I drove a 328 and liked it...then I drove a 348 and loved it. Shook the sofa cushions and went for a 348 spider - I can sit the way I like and headroom ain't a problem with the top down! I'm not tall or wide but I know what is comfy for me.

Cheers
    Kevin

24. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I drove a 308QV and could not believe how offset and small the footwell was. There's no way I could tolerate that on road trip. I did like the 'clinky' shift sounds through the gate, though.

25. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    I know what you mean. But I found that by using the dead pedal you're pretty balanced out. I think also with smaller aluminum pedals there will be more room down there altogether. I'm putting mine in tonight! We'll see.

Oh, and my 328 is black, and I think the color works much better with the black lowers. Red 328's look higher to me.

Wes