My Ferrari Killer WRX! | Page 3 | FerrariChat

My Ferrari Killer WRX!

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by ryalex, Jun 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fivebob

fivebob Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2004
    Tauranga,New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Callum
    Yep IMO the Type RA is the only WRX to get, not a tub of lard like the standard one, or the EVO for that matter, and a very nice close ratio box, shame about the limited top speed but who needs to go fast on the street anyway. ;)

BTW I can't find the RA in the 2004 lineup are they still making it?

2. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Thanks DGS for your thought out response.

I actually think EVO's are great and wouldn't mind having one, as I mentioned the price gap was insurmountable at the time (even more so now). Given the choice I would go STi though, if only for the interior and less boosted engine (more life). The marketing and media I have absorbed have given me the impression that Subaru products are more sturdy and can take more abuse than a Mitsubishi.

I'm also more of a Subaru WRC fan than Mitsubishi, which is a little less explicable but when you start watching you develop preferences. But, I was pissed off by his offensive compliment.

Surprisingly, the response to the picture on WRX forums has been rather weak and uncompetitive. Not too much team spirit on that one. Maybe if it were an STi with a 360 falling off a cliff they'd be in to it?

3. EVO8

EVO8 Karting

Mar 6, 2004
    Cerritos, LA
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Man, you really know a lot about Evos. Do you visit evolutionm.net also?

4. Lime

Lime Rookie

Jun 29, 2004
    South Korea
    Full Name:
    Gregg
  5. Lime

Lime Rookie

Jun 29, 2004
    South Korea
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    It all started one day when I pulled up along side of a Mitsubishi Eclipse Turbo on the highway. I was an avid Honda Civic fan driving one myself I was one of those Honda tuner kids, but I was old skool, this was in 1995 way before it was even popular. I had seen this car before and I thought this thing is no match for me I was running 15.25@93 mph. So I proceeded to mess with this guy on the highway until I thought he had enough of me and we were sitting about 110 and I had it floored on my way to 130. I buried the needle in the old civic like I had done many times before, when I looked up in the mirror this guy was so far back I could barely see his headlights, all of a sudden out of no where this guy passes me like im standing still. He had to be going every bit of 150. I looked down to see if I had slowed down some or something, nope I was doing like 132. I slowed down, turned off at my exit and decided to go to the dealership the next day. I pulled in and traded in my 1994 Civic for a 1996 Eclipse Turbo 5 speed ABS sunroof leather, I was styling. This is when it all started for me and I was running into people with the same car all the time. I started to modify this car, at the time there wasnt much the car was OBD II but I managed to get a traction limited 13.11@ 112 out of it. Not bad and it was decades faster than my Civic. in 1996 there wasnt much on the road that was this fast, I was pulling away from Z28s on the highway.

Needless to say I made a slight mistake when I bought my car, I soon realized it wasnt going to get faster in the quarter mile and at the time this was a huge deal to me. So I sold it and bought a 1995 Eagle Talon TSI AWD. It was older than my 1996 but it only had 6700 miles on it in 1997. I soon came to find that these cars have one of the strongest, if not the strongest production engine ever built. The model numbers are 4G63. They used almost the same motor from 1990 to 1999, and now the 4G63 is in the 2003-2004 EVO 8. The motors have changed throughout the years and the Evo 4G is different from the Eclipse 4G but as far as power and dependability I dont think much comes close.

John Sheppard
    http://www.shepracing.com/sr_dragtalon.html This car is something else not the fastest but certainly a great. www.extrememotorsports.com and www.buschurracing.com for others. These guys are running 8s with a 2 liter 4 banger. Buschur racing quote "Our 1998 tube chassis car has recently run a best of 7.87 at 170 mph".

I have been running these cars since 1995 and I can tell you that I dont know of too many production motor cars capable of 440 horsepower per liter (2.0 liter 4G63) Johns car says it all. this is just one example.

My 1995 Talon TSI AWD
    0-60 3.67
    60-0 in 91 feet
    60 foot 1.54
    1/4 mile 10.77@141
    Top Speed 173 (Gear Limited)

Fastest speed pulled over for 161 MPH in a 70 with a Z06 in my rear view mirror.

Total price with car $26,770

I ask only this.... where are the Subarus?

6. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Just to put your feet back on the ground. The BMW 4 cylinder turbo charged 1500cc F1 engine was based on a production block ... they managed to get 1500hp out of those babies. That is 1000 hp/ltr.

So yes the rest of the engine was not production but that block was bloody strong and thus I assume if you knew what you were doing you could build a 2002 BMW (basically the same block ... as I believe is the 318) with modern turbo charger and electronics that would be right up there with the Mitsi.

In the end, it all just costs money and that is why drag racing completely sucks! Man with most money wins ... as there is no skill involved!

I do hope you do more than just rip up the 1/4 mile in your EVO ... as they were not even designed for that, but to go around CORNERS fast too. Try racing or lapping a circuit one day and then you will find that there is more to your EVO than you currently realise.

Motors and hp are not everything, important yes but only a cog in the true performance equation, and thankfully real tracks have corners as do real roads.

Pete's opinion

7. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Ryan, I haven't done any mods on mine, but I am bringing it to "stage 1" this week, which should bring HP to 260 and cut 0-60 by one second to 4.9.
    To do stage 2 or higher requires cat back exhaust, and I have no desire to turn my car into "one of those."

I'll report on how the new ECU works out in due course.

8. Turb0flat4

Turb0flat4 Formula 3

Mar 7, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    RND
    Outstanding ! Now, why can't more people think this way ? ;)

9. Lime

Lime Rookie

Jun 29, 2004
    South Korea
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Thanks for posting Pete, I almost forgot about those 2002 Bimmers they are as old if not older that me.

I have an Eagle Talon though I cant justify the price for an EVO I have alot better parts and mines twice as fast for much cheaper. The Evos are a brother but too pricey I have full Cusco diffs 13 inch Baer brakes $1200 coilovers and 1 inch swaybars with a full polyurethayne kit. It handles like a corvette and a bulletproof transmission. I cant start off with the car costing $30K and then make it run 10s for under $40K. Buschur Racing has a Stock turbo one running 11.65

http://www.buschurracing.com/EVOPAGE1.html

Dyno Charts http://www.buschurracing.com/EVO_Stage4.html

Time for the Subys to play catch up

10. Lime

Lime Rookie

Jun 29, 2004
    South Korea
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Also Zach I would check out some peoples ride with the exhaust before you decide against one. I used to run HK$ on my other Eclipse, it sounded like stock but it didnt feel like it, 3 inch, this was Mitsu though I know it was $600 all stainless. HK$ is usually quiet. they usually have more resonators biggest bang for the buck is the turbo. I went from mid 11.5s to into the high 10s with a turbo change. I picked up almost 20 MPH in the quarter. I run mine to 9,000 RPM cause my motor is built. I make more power after 7,000 with the big turbo then I made total with the other one.

11. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Lime, what is the innate steering design? Std power steering on a numb hub or a nice rack and pinion? Just wondering.....I hate power steering.

If you have no PS and a nice column, that car would be awesome. (one reason I like early MR2s)

12. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Please retype that in english man ... WTF Auraraptor are you talking about?

Pete's lost in confusion

13. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    LOL, Auraraptor, are you hitting the same bottle that Bart's been sipping from?

14. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Yea I should be sleeping.

I ment to say is that I dont like the standard power steering on most cars of that era. (mid 90s) It feels numb and vague. I asked if the talon had such a steering or if it had a nice good old r&p steering with no Power Steering.

Auraraptor wonders whey they ever stoped using R&P in the first place....

15. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    My Toyota is a R&P setup but also powered ... still vague-ish but okay. Thus power steering is not just constrained to steering box systems.

Pete

16. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Yes, but it makes it worst (IMO). If I want a sports car I want it to 'feel' right. Vague just irks me.

I feel the ideal is R&P with no power steering (or to a lesser degree) with variable assist PS.

Auraraptor's opinion :)

17. EVO8

EVO8 Karting

Mar 6, 2004
    Cerritos, LA
    Full Name:
    Philip
    What is subaru spelled backwards?

18. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I think with powered front wheels it does allow you to have fancy diffs that would otherwise make it difficult to steer ... but otherwise is it really required, or are we just getting lazy?

Pete's agreeing

19. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    I don't think the WRXSTIRAC ("wrecks-sty-rack"?) is available in the 'States -- the steering wheel is on the wrong side. ;)

Actually, one thing on the "minus" column, when I was choosing between an EVO and an STi is that the STis are all pretty much "special edition" cars. The RA/C is a special edition of a special edition. Good for a collector car, or for a tuner. But picture taking one to a dealer in ten years for service. ("What the heck is this? Did Scooby ever build this?") (That's about the response I was getting from Toyota dealers to my ST165 Celica AllTrac.) The EVO is a regular production car -- a Mitsu, but a regular production one.

The EVO is pretty good "out of the box", but if I was planning to mod, I'd have probably gone with a regular WRX. At the time (a year ago), the EVO and STi were pretty new, and there weren't all that many upgrades available for it. (Heck, I had trouble getting winter rims to fit it.) And there's lots of potential in the WRX package. As I said before, I'd probably avoid trying to mod a US model STi, as it's a bit of an oddball, compared to the WRX, EVO, or STis built for anywhere else. Compared to the ST165, though, none of these cars are all that solid. But they're not designed to last 50 years.

Both NASIOC and evolutionm.net had their competition wars, and burned out on them. Realistically, they're all pretty good cars, and each can respect the other. Among those who need to go faster than the next guy, the differences come down to mods (the most money wins). Those who stay stock aren't really into dragstrip times, and the difference in the corners is the nut loose behind the wheel. ;)

20. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Really? That sounds like something I would consider. i just don't want one that's 6 inches wide and sounds like...well, like 6-inch wide exhausts sound like. Thanks. But just changing the ECU might be enough for my purpsoes. We shall see.

21. Turb0flat4

Turb0flat4 Formula 3

Mar 7, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    RND
    DGS, I really enjoy talking to someone who knows and appreciates these cars. Not that common on a Ferrari board.

That's a pity - it's an awesome car. ;)

Well, that might happen, but only in the US, where you get the oddball 2.5 l STi that noone else is familiar with, while the rest of the world gets the 2 liter version, that everyone except dealers in the US know a lot about. My friends with Spec Cs never have problems with dealer service here in Singapore.

IMHO, you would be right in avoiding the USDM STi if you plan to mod. They've had loads of teething problems, including detonation on the stock setup, which is ridiculous.

But the WRX is not the best way to go either, if you're planning loads and loads of mods. The tranny is not going to last at anything over 300 awhp, especially if you keep doing dropped clutch launches at 6k rpms. Also, the engine won't last long if modded to high levels.

Personally, I would be much happier to mod on a JDM spec STi, since it has forged internals from the factory. It's much happier running elevated boost and I think it'll last a fair bit longer than the WRX engine with heavy mods. The 6MT transmission is also a lot stronger than the 5MT of the WRX.

The 2.5 l USDM STi block has hypereutectic cast pistons and Subaru claims they're as good as, if not better than forged. Call me a traditionalist, but I don't trust this hypereutectic new fangled whatsits, I'd rather stick with tried and true forged pistons.

The Evo is also a great platform to mod on, no question. Can't argue with forged internals and a stock FMIC. I give credit where it's due. As I've said before I'm leery of the Evo's reliance on electronic aids, and their overall reliability record but otherwise it's a fine car.

That's why I favor roadcourse racing myself, as do all my friends in the local Subaru/performance clubs. We don't really favor drag racing here in Sg. And of course, I decline stoplight street races from pimply faced punks in Civics even if I know I can embarass them until they go crying to mommy. :D

22. Lime

Lime Rookie

Jun 29, 2004
    South Korea
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I have R&P on mine, as do the rest of them the power steering is speed sensative its pretty hard to turn at 160 MPH, but with the AWD car, the car has no torque steer whatsoever. You can dump the clutch at 5500 RPM spin all 4 tires off the car and you dont have to even hold onto the wheel.

Well thats with a stock car mine spins all 4 all the way through first sideways and halfway through 2nd and I can get a chirp going into 3rd. Downshifting from 5th to 3rd @80 will spin the tires. we just dynoed a friends car with the same setup as mine but he has a 75 shot he dynoed 611 to the wheels.

23. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    There are probably more of these things around here than you may think. Quite a few people who drive Ferraris in the summer want something a smidge of performance for winter.

I should have specified that I was looking at modding the suspension, not the engine. I was shopping for a winter car, and I don't really need 300 BHP in the snow. ;)

But with the new plant opening off I-95, the EVO's 0-60 time comes in handy, when the dweeb in front of me insists on stopping at the end of the "on" ramp. :rolleyes:

In the 'States, only the MR has the "electronic aids". I'm not sure whether the RS has ACD in other markets. My "plain" USDM EVO has a conventional center diff and the older 5-speed box. I wouldn't mind a center diff that unlocks for handbrake turns in the snow. ;) (Does singapore get much snow?)

24. Turb0flat4

Turb0flat4 Formula 3

Mar 7, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    RND

Just as a clarification, I meant 300 wheel horspower, which, given the high losses due to the AW drivetrain would be an estimated 380-400 bhp (crank).

300 bhp (crank) is no problem at all for reliability even on the base WRX, but that would give only 225-240 whp, which isn't enough to satisfy me. ;)

And no, Singapore doesn't get snow (at all), we can only play in the rain. :(

Do you guys already get the MR ? I thought Mitsu was still debating whether to bring in the MR to the USDM ?

EDIT : Just to clarify, the 'MR' I'm referring to is the 'special edition' "Mitsubishi Racing" Spec Evo that comes with Bilstein shocks, and a lot of other goodies. It's more advanced than the base Evo, which is in turn more advanced than the RS. I thought, in the US, you only got the latter two models (RS and base Evo), not the MR.

25. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Agreed - like I mentioned earlier, I want to do the tires, sway bars/struts, etc. first... in the city (and the winter) I don't get to go fast, but handling is the improvement I want. And brakes.