430 - My F430 exhaust manifold adventure | FerrariChat

430 My F430 exhaust manifold adventure

Discussion in '360/430' started by shifter, Jan 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    My ‘06 is on its second set of MKII manifolds and they are just fine. However, I’ve had a Ferrari sport exhaust and Tubi manifolds on the shelf for way too long (measured in years), and made my New Years resolution - skipping the gym and hitting the garage.

The Sport exhaust was simple to install. In advance I had some of the brackets powder coated to match and improve the looks. Used gage blocks to set tailpipes and my 4year old son and his friend for help

I did have to had add 2 SS shims under the bracket that mounts to the trans to get the height perfect.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

I admit I missed the look of the stock can for a short while, but then recognized the beauty in the simplicity of the Sport Exhaust design. It’s also lighter, but didn’t weigh it. I know because I could barely lift the box with the OEM parts in it.

Now that my tools and I are warmed up, next step - prep for manifolds.

I Image Unavailable, Please Login

Using my quick jack, decided to pull rear tires and liners and do it all from below. Wanted to detail the suspension, chassis, and brakes.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

I have all new OEM hardware for the install, 4 new O2 sensors, and Tubi manifolds.

On the manifolds I decided to cut the air rail fitting off and weld it closed. Pic below is the passenger side next to the MKII manifolds. I love that the Tubi matches the car a bit better with the dimpled metal heat shield, even if most people won’t see them/notice.

Also note the tools needed to get the OEM off and Tubi on in the pic. Passenger side only, so far. Getting the stock manifold off wasn’t bad at all, and I was prepared for the worst. Probably took about an hour to get it out. Tubi install, however, not so easy. It took about 3 hours to get the Tubi in thanks to that coveted heat shielding AND the air rail.

The 90 degree offset 12mm was my most used tool. Of 8 nuts, 5 came single, 3 married to their studs. I simply replaced the pulled studs with new. Light coat of engine oil.

Also, I loosened the outlet side of the cat so it can slide a bit back and forth to make it easier to line up to manifolds.

I bought ferrari hardware and gaskets. The doughnut between cat and manifold was more like a solid mesh material whereas the original doughnut was more solid. The manual calls for 75nm torque on these bolts, but between the springs and the mesh I was questioning the torque in my head. I think started to deform the flange a bit at about 50nm, so I stopped. If it fails the hand test when it’s started, I’ll crank down more on them I guess.

Going to take on the drivers side this weekend, wish me luck.

The wire hanging in front of the manifold gets attached to the inner wheel liner, it’s just hanging in the pic.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    Well done, another Ferrari Sport Exhaust convert

shifter likes this.
  3. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    well done. i imagine you are going to love the sound...if you ever want to go one step further i recommend a set of high flow cats.

shifter likes this.
  4. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    If it wasn’t for Ca smog, I’d consider them more seriously.

5. Tubi Sales

Tubi Sales Karting

Jul 5, 2019
    PHX
    It's rare to see anyone attempt a DIY manifold install on their F430.
    The Tubi Manifolds are honestly the hardest to install because of the OEM-Like Heat Shield and Air-Rail so hat's off to you!

6. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Great thread, thanks for posting. Would also like to know the difference in sound from old system to new.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

7. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #7 shifter, Jan 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    Thanks Mike. I figured if I took it to a shop they would be doing the same thing I am, no special tools, just wrestling in tight spaces. And I tend to think I would take much greater care.

I tried to get Tubi to make them without the air-rail, especially given they use the production header casting, but senza fortuna... They claimed fabrication fixture issues if they attempted it.

I will slightly bend the heat shield between the cylinders on the drivers side manifold for a bit more clearance. But the passenger side would have been a piece of cake if not for the unnecessary air rail.

Like I mentioned above, I went with Tubi for many reasons, including the OEM look which the casting and heat shield provide.

8. Tubi Sales

Tubi Sales Karting

Jul 5, 2019
    PHX
    It comes down to production really and what makes sense as a company. If they built it with out Air-Rails then they would have to essentially have 2 fixtures one for each to make sure fitment isn't an issue.

Depending on the shop, the recommended way to install the Tubi Manifolds is an engine out process. So, it's normally recommended to do at the same time as a planned major service. Don't get me wrong I am a DIYer myself so I don't mind getting my hands a bit dirty and using my head to make things work.

9. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Out of interest, who makes the jacking system- looks very usefull. How much ?

10. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #10 shifter, Jan 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    Well, there is no engine out service for a 430, so I guess it’s either capitalizing on bad luck or a very expensive install.

I hear ya on the air rail, but I believe it only applies to the Scud, I wonder how many Scud manifolds they have sold?!?! Or are F430 tubi’s common with 360’s?

11. Tubi Sales

Tubi Sales Karting

Jul 5, 2019
    PHX
    Tubi Manifolds are more common on the F430, 355, and then the 360's in that order.

shifter likes this.
  12. aslowdodge

aslowdodge Karting

Jun 5, 2004
    Marietta, Georgia
  13. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    It’s made by Bendpak: Quickjack BL-5000SLX

I love it, it’s easy to use, easy to store.

14. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Thanks, i will have to see whats available in the uk

15. Tubi Sales

Tubi Sales Karting

Jul 5, 2019
    PHX
    Quickjack is pretty much the go-to portable lift in my opinion. Easy to use and Easy to store.

16. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    going through this same exercise on my 360... and MY GOSH is your car clean!!!!!!!!!! props.
    Can't wait for sound clips.

alum04org and Tubi Sales like this.
  17. Tubi Sales

Tubi Sales Karting

Jul 5, 2019
    PHX
    Which manifold are you installing?

18. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Tubi - did not buy tubi for this install. Will def keep you all in mind for future builds.

Tubi Sales likes this.
  19. Tubi Sales

Tubi Sales Karting

Jul 5, 2019
    PHX
    Haha, was just curious but thank you for keeping us in mind!

20. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Thanks. I work on my car for fun and it’s more fun when clean.

Joe

alum04org likes this.
  21. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    What started out as a “I’ll just look and plan my approach” turned into getting all 8 nuts off the driver side. Yes more difficult, especially since the dealer who installed the replacement set buggered a couple nuts, including THE nut, the infamous one above the compressor lines.

It took less than an hour for all eight, and the pic shows the tools, in order of most used. The swivel 12mm was a savior, as the 2 rear most nuts were removed from above the manifold.

I left the manifold in only because my 4 year old helper was in bed and he would be crushed if I took out the other manifold without him. He loves working on our Ferrari with me.

Not so pro tips:

1) I detailed my car before I started working on it. With an epoxy floor, the best of show spray made the floor awesome for sliding under the car and sliding to grab tools.

2) stretch before attempting, and being in decent shape helps as I had to hold myself up while taking out to of the nuts from above and I can barely move my arms now.

3) liberal use of Aerokroil helped. All 8 on drivers side came out solo, all studs remained.

Here is a pic of some tools I thought would make it a snap, but couldn’t find a way to use:

Tubi Sales likes this.
  22. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    The pit crew are much smaller these days and i see a good old banana spanner.
    See my pic of a special spanner we used at work for removing fuel pump holding down nuts. Sockets welded to the banana spanner- a god send to remove hidden nuts

Tubi Sales and shifter like this.
  23. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Well, drivers side Tubi is in, and I do love the look for this car.

It took about an hour to get the 8 nuts tight, but had to make a tool to get THE nut tight (one above the compressor lines).

Not sure I’d recommend a self install for those who are short on patience or time. But if you want an OEM look, you couldn’t do better than TUBI (imho).

Here are the tools for the drivers side, you can see I had to cut a 45 degree offset wrench for the one nut. The metal hammer was used to torque it :) a few taps after the best I could do by hand.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Have to finish putting in sensors and cat bolts, then starting it is in order.

For now, a beer and some Jerkey for a quick break while I regain feeling in my hands.

Not so pro tip: might want to consider wearing a hockey helmet to avoid some head lumps from dropping tools. I need some Advil now...

24. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Finished the exhaust a few minutes ago, did a heat cycle and re-tightened everything. Sounds good but I didn’t get on it given the time and neighbors.

Hope to completely finish tomorrow and take her out.

My only issue to solve is I have a rattle coming from one of the exhaust valve solenoids. It’s not closing all the way on it’s own, and rattling a little at idle. I can touch it with light pressure to close it fully and it stops rattling. The problem could be solved if I could lengthen the rod a bit.

I also have 2 valves from my stock exhaust I might try.

Ceramic coated the suspension and surrounding area/castings (Modesta) and wheel liners (Cerakote).

I’ll get daytime pics tomorrow, and try to record the sound.

Fenz likes this.
  25. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Try fitting a tension spring to the exh valve, u can usually get a box of assorted for peanuts

shifter likes this.