My F355 needs some bass. | FerrariChat

My F355 needs some bass.

Discussion in '348/355' started by alvaro1728, Jul 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alvaro1728

alvaro1728 Rookie

Sep 26, 2014
    Has anyone been able to add a subwoofer to their F355? I replaced the crappy door speakers on my 95 Berlinetta but it's still missing that deep bass that only a sub can deliver. Has anyone managed to install one in an inconspicuous place, like behind the center console?

Thanks,
    Alvaro

2. fboutlaw

fboutlaw Karting

Dec 3, 2014
    Woodside, CA
    Did a lot of research, but never completed the install.
    Locations by most sounds
    1. Passenger Footwell (can fit shallow 10) but lose access to fuse area
    2. Rear Shelf (can fit 2x10, or 4x6.5 see scuderiaaudio)
    3. Between seats attached to rear wall (nwaudioguy with 1 rear facing 8")
    4. Frunk (most inconspicuous, but more power and potentially need a port through the firewall)
    5. powered sub box behind seats

I had #5 going hooked into a dsp at one point for fun, and had planned on a #2 upgrade, but never got around to it.

3. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    I have an 8" powered Focal sub that's 3" high in my 550 Maranello and it sounds fantastic. Should fit behind the 355's passenger seat (and possibly even under it).

For speakers, Focal makes shallow mount series (may be NLA now) but they fit in stock locations without hacking anything up from my measurements (I never installed them before I sold my 355...saving my set for when I inevitably get another one).

They are called the 165KRXS. I spot some NOS sets on eBay for a pretty penny now.

165KRXS with a Focal iBus20 powered sub with a nice deck or hidden amp with a bluetooth adapter would do the trick just perfectly.

4. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    GTUnit, ShineKen and MikeeB355 like this.
  5. Drock28

Drock28 Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    personal opinion.. especially for a 355.. a "sub", simply has no business being in a 355..

I own my car 6 years and have not turned on the radio once, when I drive I want to hear the car. not listen to music..
    and it has stupid flip screen, with amp in trunk and I presume some aftermarket speakers.. that I haven't been bothered to take out..
    every time I open trunk and see the stupid amp there.. annoys the heck out of me.

simply cannot understand, why some feel necessary to try improve the sound system in an F355..

again personal opinion.. do what you want to your car.

Ajax de 1e and Tamahal like this.
  6. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    It's fine you don't need to understand. It's why they make chocolate and vanilla isn't it. You can add bass with out subs btw. I have the same speakers used in bookshelf speakers. And yes stupid amps in the trunk and flip out screen would annoy me. There is a huge gap in options between your install and no sound.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. Tamahal

Tamahal Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    TAMAHAL
    355 is a badass car. I’d invest in a aftermarket exhaust if your not happy with the sound ...

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

8. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I’d invest in a aftermarket exhaust and sound.

alvaro1728 likes this.
  9. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    What's a radio?

Ajax de 1e and KevZep like this.
  10. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    One of these, you strap it to the passenger seat with bungee cords and then wire it with an inverter. Great for the retro look. Then when you get where your going you can carry it on your shoulder as such.

View attachment 2971104

Attached Files:

11. alvaro1728

alvaro1728 Rookie

Sep 26, 2014
    My opinion is that there's no reason an exotic car can't have a proper sound system, even from the factory. Sure, when I'm driving it spiritedly, I keep my windows down and the radio off. But while I'm getting to and from the canyons, it'd be nice to relax, close my windows, and cruise in 6th gear to the sound of my tunes. That's something we all expect today from any new car. Why can't a classic beauty from the 90s have the same thing?

Now, having said that, I'm definitely not planing to alter the sublime interior of the 355 with an ugly speaker. I'm looking for a clean, inconspicuous solution. And that's the challenge, since space is very limited.

Cheers,
    Alvaro

12. alvaro1728

alvaro1728 Rookie

Sep 26, 2014
    ****ing hilarious.

13. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    I enjoy music and also sometimes prefer to go up a gear to lower the volume on the engine symphony and put on some LedZep or other music. So I put the cd 6 pack and original radio in a box. I installed a Becker 430 head unit to have CD and line-in (and so it reads out "Ferrari" on power up); installed a small Rockford Fosgate amp (needed to make some custom brackets to mount) and JL Audio cross overs in the area where the CD 6-pack was; and installed JL Audio speakers in the doors, dash and in the boxes I made on the rear shelf. I made the boxes shaped with their inside ends on an angle to match the storage cubby, and had them covered in matching leather. For the head unit I made a wire harness adapter to go from the car wiring to the radio. To me it all looks factory, unobtrusive and clean. The sound is great.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

alvaro1728 likes this.