My (Bob) Norwood Experience | Page 20 | FerrariChat

My (Bob) Norwood Experience

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Russ Gould, May 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    That’s a mighty big “if”.

How did you hear that?

I’m surprised he hasn’t returned to share that part of his story.

Matt

2. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Here’s a reminder: a court of law didn’t find that Russ had any claim against Tristram Buckley.

In other words, an independent party didn’t think Russ was to be believed.

3. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Against who?

4. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    The person Russ bought the “car” from. A rather significant character in this saga.

If you don’t know that, you haven’t been paying attention.

Matt

5. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    What's that got to do with Norwood?

6. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    It Speaks to Russ’s credibility, which was your conditional disclaimer in post #474.

Matt

7. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I don't agree with you......again!....in the case of who he bought the car from, I guess caveat emptor, and just because the judgement went against him doesn't mean he wasn't duped. It's all about evidence, and if things were said verbally, it's hard to prove.

Nevertheless, he asked Norwood, so he says, to do a certain job and Norwood gave him a price to do it. Look, I'm in business....sometimes you just have to say "no", and the fact that Norwood didn't, speaks volumes IMO

All Russ did was have a ridiculous dream, and it's very nice for us veteran owners to say "you idiot" to him, but some people are just clueless. It's just a passion and they actually have no knowledge about things mechanical. I see it with some of the unsavoury mechanics around here quite often. People getting ripped off is one of my pet hates.

bromo and AshAP like this.
  8. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Russ didn't just have a ridiculous dream; he didn't take any responsibility for his participation, in either the Tristram Buckley case or the Bob Norwood case.

Re-read his posts with a critical eye. There are a lot of things that were indeed his fault.

The lack of responsibility or ownership over his share of the debacle is the problem I have with Russ.

Matt

GatorFL likes this.
  9. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Matt, we can talk in circles forever, but if the claim by Russ is true, Norwood should have just said no! The end! Surely he can be desperate enough to take on a job that was never going to end any other way than a disaster. So, why didn't he say no? That's the million dollar question.

10. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Again, re-read it. I did recently. There were many decisions on Russ's part along the way.

Norwood's never could have been a yes or no to a single large request. It was meandering, ongoing project. Not a prix fixe contract agreement.

It's not binary. And it's not as if either Russ is all wrong or all right.

Matt

11. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I think you both have strong points. But Russ should have never allowed himself to get in the position to begin with. That said when I was having a car restored I started with a fixed price and contract to do certain work but as the project went on I changed the parameters and the scope of work and I only got “estimates” of the additional costs. Fortunately I was dealing with a very reputable shop and everything worked out to my complete satisfaction.

However there was a “hot rod” in the shop that been there for years and the shop owner told me that the car owner had several hundred thousand dollars spent on the car from changes and changes to the change. The car owner must have a lot of money to spend that kind of dollars and never be able to realize even a quarter of that amount on a sale of the vehicle. So it seems that some folks are completely clueless making no rational decisions. Those folks can very easily be taken advantage by unscrupulous repair facilities.

Smiles likes this.
  12. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    The last line says it all. Norwood was the professional and should have said it's a dumb idea that won't work and/or will cost unbelievable amounts of money.

19633500GT likes this.
  13. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I don't know Matt but we seem to be of similar minds on this issue, so I'll chime in just to back up the "dissent" position.

I also don't know Russ, but by his own version of events, he made a lot of decisions that others here quickly saw as not very well thought through, and he did it time and again. That to many became a pattern of behaviour on Russ's part that led him into various situations that he had an equal part in, but he was asking the other parties involved to accept the blame for. Matt, myself and several others pointed this out to him on many occasions but he wasn't hearing it. Like, he literally was not hearing it. It wasn't sinking in. Instead he kept focusing on his best possible outcomes- the parties he would throw when he "won", the damages he would win in court, etc etc, without taking into account how unlikely those "happy" outcomes actually were. This led time and time again to him being surprised at his bad fortune. I think we were trying to say, for his benefit, that a lot of that bad fortune seemed to be of his own making, and maybe if he'd take a look at that possibility and try to adjust his actions accordingly, he could avoid future bad outcomes.

I 100% get having a ridiculous dream car that you chase beyond reason, or a mechanic experience going bad. But for many of us, just saying "wow Russ - you got screwed, you're 100% not at fault!' wouldn't have been an honest response to what he himself wrote.

GatorFL and Smiles like this.
  14. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Very well said!

Matt

davemqv likes this.
  15. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I don't disagree with that either

davemqv and Smiles like this.
  16. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    While I certainly sympathize, if you view his history here on Fchat, the same basic story has been repeated many times. It's very odd actually; hence my thought of some masochism element is not me being facetious. I don't want to put words in Matt's mouth, but I do believe that is the main reason Matt has lost his patience and solace toward him.

SAFE4NOW, GatorFL and Smiles like this.
  17. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Anyway, too many of you are missing the big picture of what this thread is about.... I don't care how naive or stupid any of you think Russ is, a reputable and ethical mechanic would have said no.

18. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    While I mostly agree, Norwood is known as a fabricator. A bit more than a mechanic. I think neither party realized what they were getting in to. It was destined to end badly, and it did.

davemqv likes this.
  19. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I'm not excusing Norwood as he's portrayed here. If he said he could do the job for a certain amount of money, that's what he should have done.

Also the pics Russ posted of that console are beyond belief (in a bad way). Nothing that badly botched should ever be shown to a client, let alone presented as finished (of it was).

20. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Russ lost a law suit against the crooked car seller in California and won a law suit against a crooked mechanic in Texas. His batting average is 50% which is about what you expect when you are 50% responsible.

davemqv and paulchua like this.
  21. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Lol awesome post

paulchua likes this.
  22. Canuck550

Canuck550 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2015
    Incognito
    Full Name:
    RJA
    Wow you guys have way too much time on your hands discussing other peoples drama...
    The courts solved this long ago, OP is not present, perhaps its time to
    LET IT GO :)

Jasonberkeley and LARRYH like this.
  23. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
  24. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3