My A/C quit working on my F430 | FerrariChat

My A/C quit working on my F430

Discussion in '360/430' started by whatheheck, Apr 25, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I had the heater on this morning as it was cold when I went out for a drive. Then it warmed up here in Seattle so I turned the Air Conditioner on / lowered the temperature setting and there was no cold air coming out of the vents.....

I reset the battery already and no change.

Any tips or recommendations or something to check for before I take her to the dealer would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2. cpep

cpep Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    new york
    Full Name:
    CHARLIE
    Fuse or relay? I know it’s a pain but I would just make sure the plug didn’t come off the compressor or the pressure sensor.

whatheheck likes this.
  3. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I had to have my A/C compressor rebuilt due to leaking, common issue...not sure if it's the same for the 430 but worth looking into..

one4torque and whatheheck like this.
  4. cpep

cpep Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    new york
    Full Name:
    CHARLIE
    You could pick up one of those do it yourself cans of Freon and just put a some in to see if the compressor kicks on. Some even have a gauge to let you know if it’s low.

whatheheck likes this.
  5. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    1. As above get a can of Freon and try to charge it with one of those freon gizmo's with a guage on it. You *should* also see the pipe getting frosty. When you press the "Stop" button and it is in the "out" position (NOT pressed in), you *should* hear a click from the AC compressor when the switch is out. Low freon pressure releases a switch that prevents the compressor from turning on.
    2. If there is no click, and no change in the pressure on the gauge, bring it in. Could be electrical via ECU, compressor, or sensor...

Purch23 and whatheheck like this.
  6. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    It may be a faulty AC control unit. That's what was wrong with my AC when I first got my scud. Got it replaced and the AC works fine. Bad news is that the control unit was like $3k. My guess is that this is your problem, or it's another electronic issue, as it sounds like your AC suddenly stopped working.

whatheheck likes this.
  7. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I did do a search here and found the post on how to recharge the Freon including disconnecting the A/C ECU temporarily as that approach seemed to work on others. I also have the workshop manual so I will do more reading.

I will try all the suggestions above and will update once fixed to help others.

Many thanks.

Dan

8. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Update:

I checked all the A/C fuses and all the relays today and they are all fine. I didnt realize there's quite a few fuses for the air conditioning system.

Tried to recharge some refrigerant and no change.

Pushed in and out the A/C (OFF) (Stupid name) Switch and the compressor is not kicking in.

Read the A/C workshop manual and I am no refrigeration mechanic so it was just good reading but I have no clue what else to check next so I will take her to the dealer next week.

Thanks again everyone for trying to help.
    I will update once she's fixed.

Dan

billy.gif likes this.
  9. cpep

cpep Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    new york
    Full Name:
    CHARLIE
    I believe most compressors use 12v so you could try applying 12v to the compressor to see if the clutch activates. If it does then at least you know it's a pressure switch or something else downstream.

one4torque and whatheheck like this.
  10. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I agree. Thanks Charlie.

Except I recently had knee replacement surgery and it still hurts and I cant bend my knees or kneel on them yet very well yet as its still very painful.
    Since Im taking my car in to the dealer soon to flush the F1 Fluid and Transmission Fluid I will go ahead and ask them to fix the AC too.

Have a great Sunday!

Dan

cpep likes this.
  11. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Update:

Took my F430 in to my Indi mechanic yesterday to have the F1 Fluid flushed, bled, refilled and F1 System checked & calibrated.
    Also had them flush the transmission fluid as it has been over 3 years since both were done.

Then I had them also check my air conditioning system.
    They checked my entire A/C system.

Summary, Charlie was right. They applied 12V to the compressor and the clutch is not engaging.
    They determined it to be a faulty clutch on the A/C compressor.

Options are to replace the entire compressor, send the compressor out for rebuilding or replace the clutch kit.
    I opted to just have the compressor clutch replaced as the rest of the compressor is good and I dont really want to disturb the refrigerant connection if I dont have to. Clutch kit ordered. Will update once its all done.

Here's some info for sharing:

• F430 AC Compressor P/N: 263174. $2,000 at Ricambi.
    • $850.00 for a remanufactured compressor on eBay.
    • AC Compressor Clutch Kit = $350.00 on eBay.

Will update for sharing once compressor clutch is replaced and A/C is working again.

Dan

lkstaack likes this.
  12. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Here’s an update for sharing to help others that may have the same issue in the future:

Air Conditioner on my F430 is fixed.
    Root cause = Defective A/C Compressor Clutch.
    Removed and replaced A/C compressor clutch – A/C works great again.

Some low level details.
    Dealers normally will only install OE parts so if you want to save some money find an Indi mechanic that will install aftermarket parts for you.
    Indi will only cover their labor which is fully understandable. The part warranty is between you and the part manufacturer.

Dealer:
    Dealer will not replace only clutch compressor. Entire A/C Compressor will have to be replaced.
    AC Compressor P/N: 263174 = $2K.
    6 hours of labor = $1,200.00 so this repair will cost ~$3,200.00 minimum.

Indi mechanic:
    Found an F430 A/C Compressor clutch in eBay for $350.00.
    Indi Mechanic replaced the compressor clutch, then fully tested the A/C system for 4 hours (@$150.00/hour) $600.00 labor plus tax.
    So this Indi repair cost $1K compared to ~$3.2K from Ferrari dealer. ~3X more.

You can also find a remanufactured F430 A/C Compressor in eBay for $900.00.

Note that replacing the entire A/C compressor will take longer as Freon will have to be purged first, then remove & replace the entire compressor & connections, reload Freon, then fully test system so labor is longer.

2nd note: while you’re there, might as well replace the serpentine belt as most likely its over 10 years old and due for replacement and belt is cheap. Info below.

Auxiliary Drive Belt / Alternator Control Belt / Serpentine Belt P/N: 235315. $52.00 at Ricambi.
    Replace soon as its already 12 years old. Install it at the same time as A/C Compressor Clutch Kit installation.

Photos of A/C Compressor clutch below.

Hope that helps some of you.

Dan

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dan, thats great info and glad you got it worked out less expensively

whatheheck likes this.
  14. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks Lorenzo.

Dan

15. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Dan, so the Indi mechanic was able to remove and replace the clutch with the compressor still in the car?

Wow, that's great info. Thanks

whatheheck likes this.
  16. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Great question.

According to service advisor, the mechanic had to unbolt the A/C compressor from the engine, move it sideways without disconnecting the freon lines in order to access the clutch as there's not enough room to work with with the compressor attached to the engine.

Dan

17. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    That makes sense and is inline with 4 hour charge

If compressor would have stayed on ..it would have been 2 hour max

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

whatheheck likes this.
  18. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Got it.

Thanks!

Dan

19. cpep

cpep Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    new york
    Full Name:
    CHARLIE
    There is probably not enough room for the puller when it is bolted up. Glad you got it sorted out Dan.

whatheheck likes this.
  20. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks!

Dan

21. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Update:

My A/C quit working again two months after my Indi mechanic replaced the A/C Compressor Clutch.
    The only way to know if its a workmanship issue by my Indi Mechanic or the after market part A/C Compressor Kit quit prematurely is to troubleshoot the A/C System myself.

Long story short, the aftermarket clutch coil connector failed. It appears the connector is weak as it broke off and melted.
    eBay seller honored the warranty and sent me a replacement with a better connector design.

I replaced the clutch coil myself this time. Not very easy but easy enough for DIY like me.
    A/C now works again.

Here's picture of the new clutch coil that I installed.

Hope this helps some of you.

Dan

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

PKIM likes this.
  22. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    I had my compressor found to be leaking on my 360, since It was already in the shop for a major, I had the shop send it out locally for a complete rebuild for $600. Now I looked into sending it off to a rebuilder, Polar BearInc. In FL., but with a 10-14 day turn around, shipping, car already in the shop, and still $485, opted to pay a little more and get it done locally.

So an option if you need a rebuild and have the time, is Polar Bear Inc. in Florida. To add, I had my AC start to blow hot 2 years before and filled her up myself with the Auto parts refill kit, and that worked fine and AC was working pretty good.
    When the shop found the leaking compressor, and having filled up on diy freon, felt it was a good time to just pay the piper, evac the whole system, rebuild compressor, dryer, valves, etc.

freccia75 and whatheheck like this.
  23. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Great info.

Thanks for sharing.

Dan

24. kingdom