My 365 update | Page 2 | FerrariChat

My 365 update

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by rustytractor, Nov 9, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vecchio59

vecchio59 Karting

Nov 25, 2011
    Savona, NW Italy
    Full Name:
    Marco
  2. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Well, my new old stock thermostat arrived right on time and was installed in the car about 7.89 seconds later along with new expansion tank, rad caps, all hoses, T-piece, flushed out and tested rad and hot pressure steamed cleaned engine waterways.

I also had all oil feed hoses pressure tested etc but I covered that earlier.

Made a small mistake which may hopefully be rectifiable. As I had odd fans (one working original 365 and one dodgy 400 style) squidmark provided a pair of 400 fans which I had reconditioned and now work perfectly. My mistake was not checking that the 365 fan could be replaced by the 400 style but it can't without the clamp which holds the 400 fan to the chassis - the 365 fan bolts directly to the chassis without a clamp so unless I can find one I'm a bit stuffed. Anyone got one knocking around ?

Anyway, rebuilt everything with no real problems except the typical "it's a Ferrari" aggrovation. Topped up with water, checked the oil level and fired her up - started first turn of the key with no oil or water leaks whatsoever BUT..... petrol started pissing out of the fuel line at the back of the engine by the bulkhead on the drivers side. Oh joy of joys !!!

I traced the problem to the pipe which connects to the lower fuel rail connector but the leak seems to be running down the pipe from somewhere further back which is obscured by a really-hard-to-move-without-disconnecting-everything a/c pipe so that's tomorrow's job.

I doubt this is a big problem and was probably there since I picked the car up a few months ago but could really have done without it as the paint shop were preparing to paint the car tomorrow and this is another delay.

This is even worse because I finally received the V5 logbook today and can now tax the car so it's road legal. Still, another few days won't make a massive difference really.

As they say - Onwards and upwards !

3. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    LOL…Enjoy this post very much. Looking forward to seeing post-paint pics - btw some guy in an old Volvo kept passing me on a hill country country road last Sunday, ostensibly to hear me pass him - made a fun drive more fun.

4. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Glad you're enjoying hearing about all of my aggravation - if my torment makes at least one person happy then it's all been worthwhile.

I've resigned myself o the fact that I won't be driving the car before Christmas - it'll be an early Christmas present if I'm wrong.

And did you say a guy in an old Volvo kept passing you ? Shame on you - I assume one of your distributors isn't working or most of your plug leads were disconnected !

5. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Well I for one would never have believed that fixing a leaking fuel return pipe would take the best part of a day for two people.

A/c pipes, vacuum hoses, fuel lines etc all run across the bulkhead obscuring the offending leaky pipe. These bastard pipes have been quite comfy for 39 years and really don't want to move or be disturbed and who would have thought you'd need to disconnect windscreen wiper linkage to get to a fuel pipe - not I that's for sure !

Anyway, all sorted now, the old girl fired straight up first turn of the key and ran beautifully with no apparent water, oil or fuel leaks so hopefully another hurdle jumped.

Tomorrow we'll hot steam clean off the bottom of the car and the engine bay ready for the paint to be applied early next week.

It's getting closer guys, I can feel it !!

6. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    #31 rustytractor, Dec 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
  8. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    Nothing beats fresh paint. I'd love to see a pic of a rear quarter window without the stainless trim in place. I have some corrosion repairs to get too and I'd like to see what the clean version looks like!

9. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Wish I could accommodate but we only blended onto the roof and pillars so the trims were left in place and just masked.

Sorry but in this instance your loss was my gain both financially and time- wise !

10. 300man

300man Karting

Mar 19, 2010
    Very nice.
    Russ, we ought to get together sometime, I'm in W.Sussex, you could get to meet my 400, it's also blue

11. squidmark

squidmark Karting

Sep 11, 2011
    Oxford
    Full Name:
    Howard Dent
    Can't wait to see it! Very nice colour :)

12. vecchio59

vecchio59 Karting

Nov 25, 2011
    Savona, NW Italy
    Full Name:
    Marco
    NICE NICE NICE !!!!
    Congratulations Russell... one day I'll come again across the channel and I'd love to see such a beauty !

13. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Russell,

Nice... very nice! I love the color!

Keep up the excellent work!

Cheers,

Sam

14. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Thanks all for the positive comments, I'm really looking forward to Monday so I can start reassembly.

Finally have all the documentation and number plates needed to legally put the car back on the road now, just need to do a service and decide on mirrors and other silly details etc. and I'll be good to go.

I drove the car 150 miles when I bought it home and other than the cooling issue and pulling to the right under braking it drove perfectly. No doubt I'll sort out all the mechanical stuff, take it out on the road and the engine will go bang in the first 100 yards!!

15. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Car flatted and polished today and looks really beautiful other than one minor but bloody annoying problem which was stupidly overlooked so the passenger door may need re painting - tomorrow will tell.

Started assembly today and all going well but do these bumpers EVER line up properly ?

Barring paint problem will hopefully finish tomorrow - famous last words I know !

16. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    Beautiful machine. Will this car be parked horizontally or vertically in your strange garage? (-*

17. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    It won't be parked at all as I intend to drive it 24 hours a day, every day !!

18. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Merry Christmas to me - the 365 came home today !!

I've got to say that she looks like new - seriously !!

Minor problem was rectified and paint came out great. I know you can always pick fault but overall I'm really happy.

Few more bits to fit up (bonnet louvre, front grill, Licence plates etc) and wheel spinners need the surface rust removing but otherwise body is all sorted.

Will post pix when complete but at least I'm smiling !

19. 300man

300man Karting

Mar 19, 2010
    Brilliant news. I'd love to see it when it's done. If you're thinking of going to Brooklands on New Year's day we could meet there. I'm thinking of taking the 400i, as there's always loads of Pagodas...

20. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    I'm jealous ! ! !

#22579 is coming along nicely, but ready for it to be DONE.

21. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Would love to go but I'm going to Brighton tomorrow for new Year and not back until Thursday - I need a break from cars so taking my old Citroen XM so I don't have to worry about scratches or breaking down etc.

I've been fitting the 365 back together for the last few days - I even managed to obtain a correct fan motor and 3-blade ali fan to replace the missing one so today I removed the other fan motor to have them both refurbished when I get back. Still need another ali 3-bladed fan if anyone has a spare knocking around.

Externally I just need to get the bonnet finally polished as they missed a few bits, the grill glass bead blasted (and possibly clear lacquered), find some new nuts to fit the bonnet louvres back in, refit the fans and replace the wiper blades.

Then it's oil and filter change, fuel filter change, check all levels, service the brakes, check brake hoses and find out why the buggers squeal so badly and were pulling to the right when I originally drove the car home.

Then pay £225 road tax and finally take the old girl out for a run.

Hopefully sooner rather than later but we'll see !!

22. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    I fully understand your frustration but they say "Patience is a virtue".

But then they're all idiots !!!

23. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Well Christmas is over and I'm finally getting round to putting the rest of the 365 back together.

Still waiting for the refurbished fan motors to come back, hopefully next week by all accounts. Another "blip" with the paint needs to be sorted, again hopefully next week. I haven't begun overhauling the brakes or servicing the drivetrain or engine yet as I'm waiting for everything else to be sorted first. Mind you, she starts first time, every time, hasn't dumped any fluid on the floor and doesn't smoke whatsoever so things all seem ok in that department. I finally decided on black Vitaloni mirrors which have just arrived but as yet haven't been fitted (and yes Howard - I bought an extra passenger side one for you which I'll send next day or so).

Frustrating really - everything was going so well before the holidays and I was hoping to go for my first fully legal and registered shakedown run early this month.

Christmas ? Bah humbug !!

24. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    #49 GT Jones, Jan 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  25. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    But it's a very bucket full.

Nice to see you don't do things by half !!