My 355 mini-Restoration story | Page 22 | FerrariChat

My 355 mini-Restoration story

Discussion in '348/355' started by treedee3d, Oct 20, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    I actually tried to warm it up and peel it off so I could save it but it's made in a way that it won't allow you to do that.

So I have no vin sticker and I don't really care. I mean the vin number is right there on the plaque so I have no vin sticker at all.

2. ILLUFA

ILLUFA Karting

Jul 27, 2006
    Indo
    Full Name:
    H
    I just have to congratulate you on your project completion. Its an inspiration as I myself is embarking on a similar project on my 355. I just hope I can emulate your success. Good Job!

3. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
  4. raysur

raysur Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2008
    So. Cal.
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Great job and congrats on doing the car exactly the way you wanted. It takes some balls to restore a modern Ferrari. This was a great thread to follow.

5. schefdeh5

schefdeh5 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2008
    U.S.A.
    Look great!

Lemme know if you wanna sell it ;)

6. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    #531 treedee3d, May 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Received a really tremendous gift from Scott (Fchatter Saw1998) who sent me a new airbag and cover for my steering wheel.

I had previously posted that the cracked and faded Cavallino was bugging me so he offered it to me as a gift and even refused to let me pay for shipping.

You can see in the pictures that the top one was not only cracked but also faded.

Scott, I am eternally grateful, you're a wonderful generous person and I enjoy my 355 so much more now because of you.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Fab, do you still have the original 2.7 factory exhaust manifolds? If so, what do you plan on doing with them? Great car transformation by the way.

Jimmy

8. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    I sold them to another fchatter so I no longer have them.

9. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Thanks for the reply Fab. Are you happy with the Fabspeeds?

Jimmy

10. davewillson25

davewillson25 Rookie

Jun 24, 2012
    Great job and congrats on doing the vehicle precisely the way you desired. It will require a couple balls to restore a modern Ferrari. This was actually a great thread to adhere to.

11. -CD-

-CD- F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2005
    near the Nürburgring
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Wow, just found the thread! Fantastic job!

I was a little bit shocked to see the red paint job because in my eyes that green
    is rare, amazing and beautifull but red looks nice too.

Greetings Christian

12. sexirob

sexirob Rookie

Jun 14, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Robert M.
    I'm curious how the fabspeed headers and cats have been holding up and working up till? Still debating if Fabspeed cats are the way to go or Hyperflow cats....

Rob

13. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    The biggest advantage of Fabspeed products is the low cost of the headers compared to other suppliers. Some say they´re from Taiwan and the steel is not as good but mine looked great and I also had them ceramic coated. While I was at it, I also purchased the y-pipe and catless bypass pipes from them.

However, the y-pipe and pipes are relatively simple designs and are available from other suppliers for even cheaper (Larini, Bradan, eBay, etc...) You can even get a local shop to make them and it will probably be cheaper.

Hyperflows are probably better if you have to pass emissions...

14. TexasSteve

TexasSteve Rookie

Jul 25, 2012
    great thread!

15. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Robert, another alternative to those cats that you mentioned is prospeed prestige or evoflow. I have purchased a set of these, but haven't installed them yet. I purchased them on a few good recommendations from other FChat members and the owner of the company does run some sales on them. Check out the parts section. I believe there is a sale going on now.

16. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    #541 treedee3d, Sep 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It's been a while since I posted.

My first summer in a Ferrari has been fabulous and I had a great time. Was able avoid major disasters but I did have a few failures.

Coming home from a long trip, my right side radiator went but I was able to drive her back to my shop without the car heating up despite having lost all the coolant.

I ended up ordering a replacement from Saldana racing and it's quite a superb looking aluminium piece.

I also had a terrible time putting in the gears so I had no choice to install a new Clutch Bearing. I ordered the piece from Hill and the car is running great again.

Between parts and labor, I'm at about 2500$ this summer. Can't complain, it's all been worth it!!!!

17. Moiluck

Moiluck Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2009
    Spain
    Full Name:
    Moisés
    Superb radiator!!! I'd love to change my old left radiator for an aluminium one like yours someday.

I am totally agree about avoiding major disasters; Last track day, a friend of mine lost his high revving Honda engine (a new one Toda Racing $16K stroked engine) just by loosing all the coolant by a cooling hose. It happened so fast that today I'm still scared about the risk of an old radiator explodes.

Congratulations for your nice restoration proyect.

Best regards.

18. gus355

gus355 Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2011
    B.C. and WA
    How much was that rad?

19. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    About 1k including shipping.

Pretty much same price as Oem but much much better all-aluminium build as opposed to plastic

20. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Read the entire thread today. Great and informational read. Those who say it can't be done are often interrupted by others doing it! (a favorite quote of mine).

21. Southpaw F1

Southpaw F1 Karting

Mar 11, 2013
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Mitchell
    Awesome thread! I am supposed to be sleeping right now but instead here I am reading your wonderful thread which is full of admiration and motivation! It is truely a Patrick Swayze roundhouse kick to the head to anybody saying it can't be done!

22. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    Thanks but I would say it's more of a Jet Li kick, lol!

There are a couple of other guys with threads far more challenging than this, user Evgeny and the other one being a burned spider. I hope those guys make it....you really have to be committed and put in lots of hours...

23. ready321now

ready321now Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2013
    New Jersey
    What year was it that the factory replaced your headers for free? Old thread, but still hoping for a response...I am guessing this was done when the car was still under the warranty? Did you put a lot of miles on the car as the 1st owner?

24. blue90

blue90 Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2013
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Dave
    That rad looks like a super nice quality part!

25. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    It is indeed, ended up needing to change the other one this past summer so now I have both sides done and I'm super happy about not having to worry about those crappy plastic OEM rads anymore.

They are made by Saldana in California but they just don't sell to the public so their retailer is Euroquipe in Illinois (Not sure if they are a sponsor here?) but the service is quick and friendly. I don't see other alternatives to a busted Rad than these all-aluminium ones.